Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC Bench seat question
Posted by: upnorth1 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 07:11PM

I see the seat upholster from Clarks, looks nice and cut to fit.
I like the color and style selections that LMC has to offer.They are for regular Chevy Trucks and the seat bottoms are too large for the FC.

Does anyone know if height is the only differing factor? Can the seat bottom be cut down in height to fit?

Thanks for your help!

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

AT THE TIP OF LAKE SUPERIOR
1961 Loadside 95hp. 30 over bored and stroked. 145 block, 165 heads 4 speed
1966 Corsa clone 140 4 speed, 30 over.
1966 4 door 110 pg soon to return to factory 140 PG

DON'T mess with Old Men, we didn't get old by being, STUPID!!!

\/ this is a half mile from my house... \/

Click for Hermantown, Minnesota Forecast

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC Bench seat question
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 11, 2018 09:42PM

A good automobile upholster can do just about anything, within reason. If you like the material of a particular year and model, then you can probably purchase the material from SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon. They are the supplier to many of the reproduction car upholstery companies unlike Clarks, who has their own material made for them to their specifications. You might be better off going this route, than buying something that is premade, and needs to be modified. Find an auto upholster, and discuss it with him / her first, and then decide exactly what you want to do. In this area (CT/MA), it costs about $500 to have a bench seat upholstered, including the material. I mention this, so you have an idea of costs before you walk in the door. If you are in a large enough area, you might have a few upholsters to choose from. Also, ask to see some of their work in progress.

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: March 12, 2018 07:51AM

Our Rampy came with a full sized Chevy Truck seat cover. The installer did a fine job the only tell tale sign were gussets on the back side to take up the extra material. The restoration process was to include replacing the cover with a new one from Clark's. But we ran out of time and entered the Denver Concours with the full sized cover in place. We received no demerits for the seat.
GMoore

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 12, 2018 08:13AM

As stated, it can be done at an auto Trim shop. However, the better shops usually prefer making the patterns and fitting the covers them selves. You have to pay extra for them to disassemble another cover and pattern it to fit properly. Cheaper shops will just stretch and fit a cover t the seat frame. Sometimes this is acceptable. However I have found that proper fitting seat covers give that extra look of class and detail.
It all depends on the look one is going for.

Corventure Dave

Date: March 12, 2018 12:47PM

Junkman:

I have a quote from an experienced auto upholster, 700 for high grade vinyl with HR foam. Guaranteed work. Expensive yes, but it would be darn near purfect. He wants me to disassemble and paint or POR the frame and springs, I have no problem doing that.

Clarks is a guaranteed fit, but 150 or so more than LMC. covers are I believe monochromatic and i am hoping fpr color. add another 125 or so for foam and supplies and its in the realm of the custom made ones.

Thanks much folks!

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 13, 2018 04:59AM

It's easy to repair FC seats "too much" with new foam and run out of head room so be careful.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 14, 2018 08:13PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's easy to repair FC seats "too much" with new
> foam and run out of head room so be careful.

Jim, Im thinking an inch of HR foam which is dense and heavy, doesn't move very much.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 15, 2018 10:21AM

Upnorth1 wrote: "Covers are I believe monochromatic and I am hoping for color"

Craig replies: Unless you're going for original '61 standard fabric, FC seat covers are available from Clarks in many original colors. Blue, Turquoise, Fawn, Red, or any other Corvair/Rivera color they have in stock. I'm pretty sure it's better and cheaper to have Clarks make it to fit rather than paying an upholsterer to rework another cover.

I had a custom upholsterer do my Rampside's seat. Honestly, I couldn't believe I was spending my hard-earned money on the avocado color I picked but it was clearly the right choice considering my truck's body and interior color scheme.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: March 16, 2018 06:54PM

Craig, I like the insets. Hoping to get a Corvair95 script embroidered on the center panel.

Very nice looking!

Chaplain Bob
135 miles from Canada

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.