Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Spyder Project
Posted by: RKF ()
Date: March 11, 2018 02:09PM

I'm going to be asking for a lot of advice from the experts on this forum during the next several months, as I attempt to restore this '63 Spyder. It's a rust-free car that has been off of the road since 1974. The previous owner removed all of the trim and began sanding it in preparation for painting. It starts, runs, and drives. Where should I begin?

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spyder Project
Posted by: stitch ()
Date: March 11, 2018 02:12PM

Since 1974? I guess I'm getting old, but that is a Classic "Barn Find" smileys with beer

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 11, 2018 02:13PM

You already have.... when you are just doing a cosmetic restoration you can go about it anyway you like...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:27PM

a bath ? ? ? grinning smiley

Seriously though, that is a cool acquisition! thumbs upthumbs up

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: March 12, 2018 04:51PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a bath ? ? ? grinning smiley
>
> Seriously though, that is a cool acquisition!
> thumbs upthumbs up

Trust me, the dirt that's on there ain't coming off with soap and water. smiling smiley

Date: March 12, 2018 05:38PM

Before working on stripping the body, I'd seal up the dashboard area from entry of all the dust that's going to be floating around. Those vintage instruments and switches have plenty of dust already that has settled thru the years. IF they are still working, do 'em a favor and keep the body-work dust outta there!

Protect all the window from being accidentally scuffed. Cut something like aluminum sheet, formica, etc and tape that on top of the glass, Just hate seeing sanding marks in hard to replace glass..

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: March 12, 2018 06:07PM

Whoa! Looks like the signature of a DA sander. Ouch.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 13, 2018 04:34AM

At the very least I would bleed some new fluid through the brakes. If you push on the brakes as hard as you can, it's better to find a bursting point in the garage than out on the road.

Good move with the new tires.

How about electrics? Usually there's a turn signal or something that's got a bad ground...

Is the gas gauge working? Over full is often a bad ground. Empty something else. Anyway I'd want to remove the sender and see what's in the gas tank, maybe put a filter at the outlet. Also the fill, hose, vent hose and return hose on a turbo car tend to rot out.

Keep an eye on the engine oil to make sure the fuel pump isn't leaking gas into the oil. Smell and feel the dipstick.

Check the level on the transmission and differential. Do not use the cheaper modern GL-5. More expensive GL-4 is better for the brass parts in the transmission. Since it's hard to do, they are often low on oil.

Remove the rear drums to check the wheel bearings. Feel for in and out movement of the flange that holds the wheel studs. Feel if they are funny when turned. They are a big job to replace.

The rubber "pitman arm bushing" on the end of the center steering link is prone to wearing out causing loose steering.

Just a few things to get you started.

Nice car, it's got the look. Black with red is quite fetching. I'd be inclined to bring the red out into the wheels, spark plug wires and fan but that's just me.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 13, 2018 08:52AM

Very cool find! Looks like a great starting point.

I agree with above it's essential to go through all safety systems...brakes, steering, suspension. Lots of stuff likely dry-rotted after all those years sitting. I would probably replace almost everything perishable in the brake system...master cylinder, wheels cylinders, and flex lines.

Drain the fuel tank if you have not already or consider just installing a new one as yours may have rust in it that will continue sending chunks into the fuel filter. Until you do that put another fuel filter in the rubber line just behind the tank.

What options were on the car? Power top? Positraction? Post a photo of the body tag when you can.

Looks like fun!!!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: March 13, 2018 11:23AM

Thanks. Having experienced a ruptured brake line once in a Corvair, I always replace the brake system whenever I start a new project. The Fuel tank, lines and filter will also be replace, as well as the wiring harness.

As far as I know the only options on this car are the tinted windshield and padded dash.

The Body tag is attached.

Attachments:
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: March 13, 2018 02:32PM

Actually, you missed the MAIN option. ACC group 3 - "C". -denotes Spyder/turbocharged option

Yeah, I know I'm being a PITA... haha... but, technically, Spyder was an option in 62-63. It wasn't considered a separate model until 64.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 13, 2018 03:17PM

What is stamped before the 2 in the option code line (Group 1)? Looks like an F or partial E?

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: March 13, 2018 04:47PM

Nickshu Wrote:
> What is stamped before the 2 in the option code
> line (Group 1)? Looks like an F or partial E?

It's very hard to tell, even when examining the tag. The bottom portion of the letter is just not there. If I had to guess, I's say it is an F.

Date: March 13, 2018 04:49PM

RKF Wrote:
> Nickshu Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is stamped before the 2 in the option code
> > line (Group 1)? Looks like an F or partial E?
>
>
> It's very hard to tell, even when examining the
> tag. The bottom portion of the letter is just not
> there. If I had to guess, I's say it is an F.

E was tinted glass (all around)
F was tinted windshield only

Nick
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.