home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair related - need help with Car lift - Symmetric or Asymmetric
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: March 11, 2018 10:26AM

Before I explain the details below, here are the main questions I need to resolve:

1. For a Corvair, would it be better to have a symmetric or asymmetric lift? (I question this due to the rear-biased weight configuration)

2. They say not to load a car on a lift backwards, but wouldn't this be preferable for a Corvair? Should I always load it backwards due to the rear-engine configuration?

3. For a while, my Spyder will have no drive-train, which would make it pretty evenly balanced, but an asymmetric lift assumes a heavier load on the short side... Would it cause me issues not having that counter-weight (engine)?

4. Am I way over-thinking this?

So... here is the rest of the story. Yesterday I bought a used Challenger SA10 2-post auto lift and I'm currently planning the specifics of the installation. This lift can be set up as a symmetric or asymmetric lift.

It was already set up as an asymmetric lift, so if I decide to go symmetric, I would need to order some hardware. (pins, spacers, a cable, etc). I will be using the lift for my other vehicles, and an asymmetric lift is supposedly preferred for typical front-engine cars and SUV's... I want to be able to use it on all my cars.

Lastly, are there any auto-lift experts on the board?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair related - need help with Car lift - Symmetric or Asymmetric
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: March 11, 2018 10:35AM

I have a symmetric lift, I would prefer an asymmetric for ease of getting in and out of the vehicles.

Couldn't you just put the corvair on the lift by backing in? That would put the weight on the front arms, but ease of door access might suffer as with a symmetric.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 10:49AM

Not sure the difference, I formerly had a 2 post lift, design was where you have to fight the posts to open the door, this one didn't have a connection at the top it had the connection at the bottom with a pan you had to drive over. There were angle iron braces that were maybe 8 feet long that bolted to the floor. I put vehicles on it in whichever direction worked for what I was wanting to do, never a problem plus Corvairs weigh nothing compared to what they are designed to hold.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: March 11, 2018 10:54AM

I have a 10k lb Asymmetric Bend Pack and the Corvair is like nothing on it. I load it front or rear, with or without power pack. I do have a Harbor Freight stabilizing tripod to support the rear when I'm removing the front end. Even without the front end, I will remove the tripod after loaded front way and you could jump up an down on the rear and it's not going anywhere. When I load my friends Ford F350 on the lift, I'm extremely careful on how it's loaded.....

You'll love the asymmetric when you need to open the door on the lift.

I do have 6" thick 3000 psi slab in my shop but again, if loading a Corvair a 4" 2500 psi is more than enough. I installed the same lift for my friend that works on Porsches and his slab is 4". The lags have kept thier torque and he loads them either way.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Date: March 11, 2018 11:12AM

Thanks, Bob, that's helpful. I will be finding out how thick my concrete is when I drill the holes for mounting the lift. To be honest, I'm less concerned about the Corvair than I am about my wife's Honda Pilot... :-/

I'm also MUCH more concerned about my concrete and the effects of a cantilevered/offset load than I am about the lift.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 11, 2018 12:27PM

My floor is 4-5" and I don't worry about the Corvairs being lifted like a normal car. My lift is asymmetric. I need to back one on and see if the doors will open. If so, I might install my next lift backwards just for fun. I installed my 4 post backwards to get the power post out of the way of my alignment machine.
One tip is to drill the holes all the way through so if you ever move the lift you can just drive the anchors into the dirt.
A good hammer drill makes all the difference. My Craftsman with a new Erwin bit took forever but my Bosch with a new Bosch bit took less than 60 seconds to drill a hole.
I did have some trouble with a couple of anchors pulling up too much. I'm thinking it may have been better to drill a pilot hole first. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 11, 2018 01:35PM

I second a Bosch Rotary Hammer!

I have a 10k Damar lift asymmetric and it takes Corvair’s either way. I bought and use three of those HF lift jack stands, it takes any worries of things falling off the lift to low levels of concern. I had a mechanic friend crushed when a rain soaked Ford Ranger pinned him against his tool box while working on it.

Go asymmetric and buy some lift jack stands, not “pogo sticks”.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 11, 2018 01:37PM

Photos, Frank?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 11, 2018 05:46PM

OK,

Here is picture from delivery of lift, 50 Studebaker on lift (second vehicle ever on it) using two of the Harbor Freight hoist stands, and using lift to drop engine out of a Corvair.

All these pictures were before I sheet-rocked that wall and added the science lab workbench/cabinets.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Attachments:

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 03:00PM

Wish I had that Studebaker.

I have the asymmetric lift. Makes it easy to get in and out. You can take the car more forward if you need to. No problem with weight balance, although it does not go up there that much. It gets used about 10 times a day for oil changes on all kinds of vehicles.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Attachments:
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:06PM

I have an Eagle lift. If I remember, a 9K lift. Asymmetric. Have lifted both 'vairs, both my jeeps and also my K1500. No issues, though I do a check for balance when the car is just off of the ground. Would not trade for it...

Wife and I installed it. Not that hard to do.

Eagle Lift

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:26PM

You may want to check out Greg Smith Equipment lifts. I have two of their lifts at my car shop and two of the bigger lifts at my company. At my car shop I have the 9K extra wide extra high two post asymmetrical lift. It's attached at the top vs the bottom plate arrangement. I can load almost any vehicle on it forward or backwards without concern. The steel used is pretty hefty. Each post has 4 large concrete anchors. Having a top frame attachment eliminates the concern for a weak concrete base which cause the lift to fold inwards. Cost of the lift is around $2200 and frequent sales specials include free freight. The lift is heavy and you'll need a forklift to unload off the transport truck. One good thing about Greg Smith Equipment Co is they stock parts for their products. We have tire machines and wheel balances as well, and their support has been very good. I'm getting ready to add another 2-post lift in my car shop.

Also, I think everyone needs to understand that almost all lifts are MADE IN CHINA. Some that claim MADE IN USA are making that claim that the lift is "ASSEMBLED" in the USA. All the steel is fabricated in China. I wish it wasn't so but it is for now.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 12, 2018 05:21PM

I have an older asymmetrical lift that is only rated for 5000 lbs. It was not installed for Corvairs as it was here at the shop when we bought the house. I put anything and everything on it including lathes! LOL

I have said this before, you need to know where the balance point is on the Corvair and the rear arms need to go as far to the rear on the car as you can get. How far forward you can put the car in the hoist is dictated by how long the rear arm are, they have to swing past the rear tires. With that I take out engines and drivetrains while up on the hoist without a thought of any danger.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 06:38PM

If you haven't thought of it the pins that hold the arms are removable so the arms can be moved front to back to get the offset you need.I did that on my hoist when I needed to put my Corvair on backwards.

Date: March 13, 2018 06:37AM

Thanks for all the input, fellas. I decided to go with the asymmetric configuration.

I had 3 neighbors come over last night and help me stand the columns up and move them into position. After work today, I'll be drilling the holes. THAT will be the first critical step in confirming I can (or can't) install this lift in my garage. I'm praying for at least 4" of concrete. If it passes that test, the next test is seeing if it will let me torque to 150ft/lbs.

Thoughts and prayers appreciated smiling smiley

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 12, 2018 03:52AM

I just installed the third lift in my shop backwards and Corvairs fit a lot better on it so far but I just realized all I've tried are Sport Sedans which the front doors totally clear my lift. I haven't tried it but it does look like there wouldn't be any issue with swapping the arms to reverse it as mentioned above.

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: May 13, 2018 05:44AM

In my 5000 sq. ft shop almost all of the shop equipment is either greg smith or harbor tool.I know,I know,Chinese crap but in 10 years just normal wear and tear in my case.One of the most useful tools is that heavy duty orange harbor freight lift cart.We have 5 greg smith lifts and they get constant use in my busy retail shop.We also have a greg smith computer balancer and tire changer that have given excellent use.Is this the best stuff you can buy?Definately not.But like said here previously,a LOT of "brand name" equipment is either completely from China or a good part of it.The Harbor Freight stuff has drasticly improved in the last 5-10 years and I have yet to split a H/F socket on my impact gun.Their earthquake 1/2 battery impact gun is a monster and very reliable in daily use.Just my personal opinion here.Waiting for the flames.

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: May 13, 2018 05:56AM

A word to the wise about installing lifts.Pretty much in the last 40 years of running a shop and installing lifts,no concrete in your building is good enough to safely hold a lift with those expanding bolts.I usually dig out a 2 foot by 2 foot section where the lift will mount to the floor and have a professional concrete guy fill the hole with the strongest concrete mix I can buy.I make a very accurate pattern where the bolts will go.Then while the "mud" is still wet I sink some supper strong bolts with big flat washers welded on the bolt head into the mud.I use my carefully measured patterns to assure that the bolts stick up in the exact right place so the lift will be in the right place.When this is done,let it sit for a week before using the lift so the mix can get good and hard.When you install the lift,run the nuts down as hard as you want.They will never loosen.Try that with them stupid "moly" concrete anchors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.