Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FS: Wilwood Disc Brake KITS!!! for EM / LM and FC!!! Socal
Posted by: yungbuck6166 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 03:35PM

Hello,

I would like to announce I have multiple front disc brake kits available which I’ve been developing for the last year. I know other kits are out there, but this is my take on subject. The kits I offer use all (EM*) Wilwood components with caliper mounting brackets I developed on 3D software then have cut on a waterjet machine. This means Wilwood 4 piston calipers, rotors (11 inch or 12.19 inch) and aluminum hubs which are the main parts along with all the other items needed for the install. The prototype was built and installed on my 1961 and I’ve had no issues after 15k of hard miles. Since then, two more kits have been built and installed with no problems with a few in the works. Currently, I have kits for early and late models as well as FC’s. These kits only work with 14 inch or larger wheels. Keep in mind, each kit is built to order, and it takes time for this level of work. If this interests anyone, send me a private message and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Pictures are of the LM kit.

Thanks
Val
SoCal

forsale

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 06:53PM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wilwood Disc Brakes
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: March 10, 2018 03:40PM

Wow,Very Nice! Price ?

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 10, 2018 04:11PM

Yes, Very nice! Prices and if the brackets are available separate

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: March 10, 2018 04:23PM

Beautiful.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD/Catlett, VA

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Re: FS: Wilwood Disc Brakes for EM / LM and FC!!! Socal
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 10, 2018 04:39PM

More selection!! we appreciate it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: FS: Wilwood Disc Brake KITS!!! for EM / LM and FC!!! Socal
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 10, 2018 08:27PM

Wow!!!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: March 11, 2018 12:07AM

Well I guess I should have just included more information.

Since there are multiple kits and variations of each, I can’t list every single one.
In general for EM/ LM/ and FCs, the 11 inch rotor kits start at around 1400 and the 12.19 inch rotor kits start at around 1500.

This price includes all necessary parts and hardware for the conversion as well as the kits fully assembled on the spindles. This way I can make sure the quality and fitment is top notch. Not to mention the install on your end is easy (disconnect old brake line, remove your spindle, install assembled disc brake spindle, bleed brakes).

Right now I am not offering the conversion brackets sold separate due to the complexity of the build.

These kits work well with the stock single master cylinder or dual master cylinders. Pedal feel is actually better with the stock single imo.

Also currently working on rear disc brakes kits for LM so those should be available shortly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Val
avdoppenberg@gmail.com

Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: March 11, 2018 06:56AM

If someone wanted to go to a dual chamber master cylinder, would you also recommend Wilwood? Are the Wilwood pads unique to this kit or off the shelf.
Thanks
Jeff

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 11, 2018 09:22AM

I hope you include an emergency brake system. Not a line lock but an e-brake by cable/handle, maybe inside rear rotors as early 911/912.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: March 11, 2018 09:43AM

I would definitely be interested in a plug -n-play rear disc brake system for the late models. Also, like Steve Goodman said, I hope that you have incorporated a user-friendly e-brake system with the kit. Thanks again for offering up some cool Corvair parts.
Regards Fred thumbs up

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 11, 2018 12:37PM

Val - For the rear system, you might start with the rear disc system that Wilwood offers for the 4th gen Camaro. It has an internal shoe system, like the C2/C3 Corvette, uses the same wheel bolt pattern. Wilwood even offers blank backing plates that you could mod for the Corvair trailing arm pattern. Note for folks that almost any rear system will involve disassembly of the rear hub/bearings, and you never know what you may find when you do that. If you start with the 4th Gen Camaro system, be sure to swap out the calipers for larger piston models. The 4th Gen Camaros are too small for the rear of the Corvair. Wilwood offers several calipers that interchange in the same mounting brackets. Val, if you need more info on this, PM or E-mail me.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: March 11, 2018 03:26PM

Jeff - I do like the Wilwood dual master and think it is a nice upgrade. I have it on my car. The brake pads are Wilwood only.

Steve - Yes I'm currently looking at the most efficient way to include the e-brake system on the rears. Wilwood provides a couple different options.

Seth - I will give those a look over.

Posted by: triumphcorvair ()
Date: March 12, 2018 07:32AM

That is a good looking conversion. Just two questions, Will it come with upgraded wheel studs, 12MM? Will the new hub allow the use of the speedometer cable?

Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas

65 140 Monza
71 Triumph Bonneville

Date: March 12, 2018 02:43PM

Thank you Darrell.

Yes the studs used are the larger 1/2-20.
Yes I modify the hubs so the speedo still works.

Val

Posted by: mattjamesdrury ()
Date: October 21, 2018 11:09AM

Looks great!

Question for you on the brake kit:

Does the kit offer a replacement upper bolt (the 1/2" 'anchor pin' bolt" that has the larger diameter tapered section?

I am re-building an old Fiberfab Valkyrie with 1965 Corvair front/rear suspension hardware and made my own brackets for Wilwood front/rear 12.88" discs and dynalite 4-piston calipers. I'm thinking of having a machine shop make me a tapered sleeve that will let me properly plug the large diameter portion of that top mounting hole and allow me to use a normal 1/2" fine bolt, but curious to see if something like that already exists for purchase winking smiley

Attachments:
Date: October 21, 2018 12:13PM

I don't get it...

Why would anyone use WOOD in a brake system?

smoking smiley Jes Kiddin' tongue sticking out smiley
They look super fabulous, YungBuck Val.
May I suggest a couple things?
1) Put some more info in your sig line - contact info would be good.
2) In SoCal - you should definitely bring some goodies over to Palm Springs next weekend for the Great Western Fanbelt Toss & Swap Meet. Great place to intro your Blazin' Brakes! (see info in the "sticky" posts above)
3) Join CORSA and advertise your wares to thousands of Corvair Enthusiasts!
4) Don't call any part of your brake system "emergency" It would be a "Parking Brake" assembly. (I'm not an attorney, but I know a few...)

Cheers! Glad to see your entrepreneurial spirit in the Corvair World.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 21, 2018 12:46PM

I used actual WOOD for my first bracket mock-up!!

eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2018 12:49PM by mattjamesdrury.

Attachments:
Date: October 21, 2018 01:41PM

HA! Thats WILd grinning smiley

I've used Masonite before - when I was a Mason... 96th degree - we're HOT!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 21, 2018 02:43PM

Haha..I'm not a Mason, so had to use Plywood sad smiley

Here are some pics of my home-cooked brackets:

Attachments:

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: October 21, 2018 03:32PM

Very Nice, is that a custom aluminum Hub ? Mike

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.