Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New Problem smiling smiley
Posted by: jhs0718 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 10:43AM

Hello again everyone! My new problem is that a clip has come off of the rear accelerator rod (not sure if that is what it is called). It is pretty close to where the starter is and is where two rods come together, with one rod ending in an L shape and going into two holes on the other rod. Anyways, I did some digging and found out the clip part number is 3711177, and have no clue how to put this clip back on. The reason it is essential is that the rods keep disconnecting, so whenever you push the gas pedal, nothing would happen. If someone could show a picture of how you have this clip attached that would be very helpful! Do not want to be driving down the road and have the gas pedal do nothing!

Thanks-
Joshua Saarela

1960 Corvair 700 4dr Sedan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Problem smiling smiley
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 10, 2018 11:06AM

This what you are looking for?

Attachments:

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: March 10, 2018 12:14PM

I use a small needle nose pliers. You could use a small screw driver, but you will probably end up chasing the clip around the floor of your garage a couple times.

It snaps into a groove in the rod.

Clip (E-clip?) is available at good hardware stores - memory fails but I think it is 3/16".

Date: March 10, 2018 12:34PM

Actually, I have attached a picture of what I am talking about. It is on that same rod, but further up towards the front of the car. I also attached a picture of what I believe is the clip, at least that is what fell off of it.

Attachments:

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 10, 2018 12:42PM

You straddle in the link with the clip, then you push the rod through all three holes. Now you swing the clip until the long portion snaps over the rod and clamps itself in place. If you study it for a little you will see it can only go in one way.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: March 10, 2018 12:50PM

Just fixed it! Thanks for the responses everyone!

Date: March 10, 2018 07:41PM

The clip may have come off because it's the wrong one for the location. It should have an E-clip. The type you pictured go on the throttle linkage in the engine compartment and have very limited travel in one direction. They are also used on the choke rod and thermostat rods (several sizes).

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 11, 2018 09:48AM

Here in the rusty east the e clip groove on the rod will rust to where the e clip will no longer hold onto the rod. I drill a 1/16 hole through the rod and use 1/16 cotter pin and washers. Works great. Also a cure when the plastic clips break on door/tailgate lineages. thumbs up

Maybe a prior owner lost the e clip or the rod was rusty. That clip shown might not give full range of motion to the rod/ belcrank. Check it.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 09:50AM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 11, 2018 09:58AM

The rod looks like it is coming in from the front and not from the rear of the bellcrank. That was maybe done to try to use the wrong style clip. It could possibly cause some binding because the shape is now backwards for traveling in the car as it moves thru its up and down travels.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: March 11, 2018 11:09AM

Looking at the OPs pic, rust doesn't seem to be the issue. Lots of oil/grease on the parts. Having worked almost all my life for NCR Corp, I have all kinds and sizes of E, C, U, circle clips, crush clips. Usually no problem finding that will fit.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: March 11, 2018 12:06PM

J.O. Do you have a source for the choke thermostat rod clip? Clark's doesn't have them.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 11, 2018 12:29PM

I believe those snap on and rotate clips are called "Pal" clips. (In parts store jargon, at least) Do you know the ID of the hole and the rod OD the clip is designed to snap over? I have lots of these sitting around. Sometimes they have numbers stamped onto them as well.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 11, 2018 01:49PM

Seth, clip is 1L. Been discontinued for years. I reported it here several years ago and people thought I was wrong since California Corvair’s still had them (Clark’s did not). I ordered them at the time from CAC as ALL other clip sources on the internet showed discontinued.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:17AM

I believe the e-clip is a size not commonly found in hardware stores, I had to purchase at NAPA. I'm thinking they're 7/32 but I'm going on memory and could be wrong.

I thought the choke rod clip was 2L. I've got a bunch of the accelerator pump wrong direction ones and I thought they said 2R on them. Again I'm going on memory and could be wrong. Clarks has some that are slightly larger, are they metric or something?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:23AM

I did a quick search on the rod clips. Looks like 2L is 5/32 which is probably what Clarks has. I'm guessing 1L is probably the correct 1/8 with no listing like Frank said.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 12, 2018 07:16AM

Yeah, the (1L 1/8' left) seems to be a tough one, this company may have 1R. 2L and 2R 5/32" are available

[www.titanfasteners.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.