Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Need help - Resurrecting a Spyder
Posted by: hennesse ()
Date: March 09, 2018 09:35PM

I've got a line on a 1962 Spyder convertible that needs "get it out of my carport". I haven't seen it yet, and I have no idea what I will see when I do, but I gotta go check this baby out.

I've owned 5 Corvairs (a Rampside, two convertibles, two 4-doors) and was a member of CORSA, but this was back in the 1980s. I know the basic drill for prepping a long-sleeping engine for restart. But I have ZERO knowledge about Turbos.

What the heck should I do before trying to restart a long-sleeping Turbo?

What should I oil? What should I take apart and check? Heck, can I even use starting fluid on this engine?

Dumb questions, but I'd rather look stupid than destroy a rare Turbo by being too hasty on the restart.

This car is likely a pile of rusty junk, but then again, it might be the barn find of the century! So I want to be prepared...

Thanks,
Dave Hennessey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 09:38PM by hennesse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resurrecting a Spyder
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 09, 2018 09:40PM

Welcome to the CCF!

No different than an N/A engine.... doesn't hurt anything if the turbo is seized.

Turn engine by hand....before buying..

At the top of the Message list are "Stickies"

Look for the one that says FAQ's and there you will find all sorts of tips before you go...and after / if you buy!

Where are you at? Someone here may be close!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: Resurrecting a Spyder
Date: March 09, 2018 10:35PM

MattNall Wrote:
> Where are you at? Someone here may be close!

Matt,

I'm in Warrenton, Virginia - about an hour away from Wash DC. Anyone near me?
Dave 540-347-1452

Yeah, I guess you're right - if the turbo's locked, the car will have inefficient exhaust and intake systems, but no further damage should occur.

My neighbor had a new 1963? Spyder, and I think the Turbo didn't kick in until about 40-50 mph. Then when you stomped the gas pedal- it really took off. Below that it didn't do much. But those are recollections from very long ago!

I hope this lead turns out to be something good. My 1965? 140-hp 4-speed convertible was a great little car. Bought it for $200, drove it for 2 years, sold it for $250, and thought I'd made a killing.

Dave

Re: Need help - Resurrecting a Spyder
Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: March 09, 2018 10:42PM

It likely will not run initially. Turbos require excellent ignition in working order. Usually, the battery cables are shot and there is no electricity followed by usually the carbs need rebuilding due to hardened accelerator pump rubber. Often mice have filled the top shroud with cotton and "stuff" causing overheating after a few minutes of running. Look at pictures of correct 1962 spyder engines on the internet before proceeding. Note the engine depicted is a hybrid of 1962-1963 parts in a period photo that I found a few months ago.
Crawford

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 10:45PM by caroseiii.

Attachments:
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 10, 2018 04:29AM

in the photos...Note the 1962-only vacuum diaphragm on the throttle body with the 1962 only crossover pipe that has a nipple on it for the vacuum hose to this diaphragm.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: momach ()
Date: March 10, 2018 06:34AM

Good picture.
Also notice the fuel filter canister, between the battery and the air cleaner housing. That may need replacement.
The fan belt may have taken a set from sitting a long time. It's more prone to coming off, especially if the pulleys are rusty.
Make sure you have a good throttle return.

Steve , on the wet side of Washington State

one too many cars,(maybe)

1962 Buick Skylark
1964 Monza Spyder Coupe
1965 Corsa vintage race
1966 Corsa
1967 Datsun 2000 roadster

Date: March 10, 2018 08:16AM

Thanks guys. I finally got hold of the owner this morning. Will be going to look at it in the next few days - I'll take my camera and will post some photos here.

He says it's a 1963 (not a '62) that runs, but hasn't been driven in two years. (That's good - I was expecting something that hasn't run in 20 years.) He says floor is solid, body has a couple of nicks, brakes may not be reliable. More than that I don't know - but I'll soon find out!

Serenska's Pre-buying checklist in the FAQs is a big help - I found several tips I hadn't thought of.

Date: March 10, 2018 10:19AM

You are getting prepared!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 10:29AM

I am currently doing a study on 62 Spyder's, especially convertibles. When you are looking at the car, please be sure to get a picture of the VIN tag in the driver door jamb and a clear picture of the Fisher Body tag located in the engine bay.

Please post the picture of the Fisher Body tag here and I will decode it for you as well.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 11, 2018 07:12PM

I'm about 40 minutes away from you. Lots of Corvair owners around here. Virginia Vair Fair is in Winchester in May. Two clubs to choose from, depending on which way you want to drive.

Darrin on here is also real close to you.

Glad I didn't hear about this car, as free Spyders are hard to resist!smileys with beer I've had to buy all mine (parts cars included).grinning smiley

PM me for information on club contacts.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: March 12, 2018 08:02AM

Got to see it yesterday. It's a 1963. Here are the Serial and Body tags. Couldn't find the Engine number. Turbo part# 3830651. Photo of turbo tag too dark to see the serial.

Attachments:

Date: March 12, 2018 08:14AM

What is he asking for it? Any pics of the Body?

Date: March 12, 2018 11:50AM

The body is ugly - somebody did a very lousy primer job. The cracks in the passenger door look like there must be bondo under there. But that's the worst area. The rest of the body looks pretty nice - no dents. There's some rust at the back of the front 1/4 panels - where the emblems are.

Bumpers are straight and have pretty good chrome. He has all the trim pieces in a cabinet that he'll have to move a bunch of junk to get to.

The unibody under the doors seems solid. No rust that I can see. I stood on them and bounced a little, no noticeable flex. Doors open and close nicely. Part of the floor pan has rusted out, and some sheetmetal has been pop-riveted in. Looks to be where the back seat passenger's feet are and going forward a bit.

Attachments:

Date: March 12, 2018 11:59AM

Where are you at? Out west that's a $6-800 parts car... only because of the engine running

Date: March 12, 2018 12:01PM

The VW behind the Vair is a very early one - maybe around 1952 ?? Split window, and the turn signals are little semaphores that pop out from the door pillars. Think this was brought to the US by a person.

Unfortunately, he put a modern water-cooled engine (forget what) in it. Not sure, but it might be for sale. He's an older guy who realizes he's never going to complete these projects, so it's time to find new homes for them.

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: March 12, 2018 12:24PM

Hi Dave, did you drag her home?

I have a Corvair Depot just south of Catlett so there are Corvairs in the neighborhood as Frank mentioned. I have several Corvairs and lots of parts and know where lots of additional parts are!

That is the correct turbo for a 63 so maybe the engine is original as well. Good project and sounds like the price is right. Rust, as always equals work. At least they threw some primer on it before letting it sit with bare metal. Sounds like an interesting old guy and rare in that he is letting a few things go.

Can PM my number to you if you would like to discuss. I live in Bethesda, but get out to Catlett most weekends when it is nice.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD/Catlett, VA

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Date: March 12, 2018 12:49PM

Interior is messy. Original front seats, but springs sticking out of driver's. Passenger is upside down, didn't flip it over. Rear seat is a different color, just stuck in there, not even sure it is from a Corvair. Does the back seat fold down? Seems to have folding brackets at the bottom. Door panels there but not pristine. No carpet. Replacement radio. Convertible top is shredded.

He's going to try to get it started in the next few days. Said you can hear the turbo spinning when revving it up. Hasn't been driven in 2 years. Price? We haven't really gotten down to brass tacks yet, but I get the feeling it's going to be 2K or less. Does this sound reasonable?

I'm trying to get a handle on what it would take to make this a nice driver. Haven't restored a car in many, many years (you can fit more motorcycles than cars in a given garage space) . Assuming the engine/trans are good, are these reasonable estimates? $2.5K for paint and body. $1.5K for interior and floor pan, $1K for top. Couple hundred for master/wheel cylinders. Of course, it goes on and on forever, but I'm wondering what it would take to make it nice enuf that I can drive it around without wearing a bag over my head.

Attachments:

Date: March 12, 2018 12:55PM

A couple more photos.

Attachments:

Date: March 12, 2018 01:04PM

For the $$ you are talking... you can buy a decent driver out west and ship it back.

Watch For Sale Mega Topic daily

Or try to win this for what you want to spend..

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 01:18PM

Well, whether or not you pull the trigger...

VIN 30967W106488..
3= 1963 Model year
0967= Corvair Monza Convertible
W= Willow Run Assembly Plant
106488= 6,488th Corvair to be produced at Willow Run for the 63 model year

Fisher Tag
09B= body built 2nd week of September 1962
63-0967 = 1963 Corvair Monza Convertible
BODY WR 1084 = Willow Run built, 1084th Monza Convertible body built
TRIM 1-781 = Red Bucket seats with white convertible top
PAINT 922-5= Ember Red exterior paint with Red painted interior surfaces
ACC
3C = RPO L87 150hp Spyder turbo option package

Since the car is a Spyder, it came with a 4 speed manual trans and 3.55 rear end.

As the turbo is the only ACC code...

The car did not have tinted windshield or tinted side glass
The car did not have padded dash
The car did not have powertop

The rear seats on convertible did not fold down...and took a different seat that the coupes...only 62-64 convertible rear seats interchange.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 01:22PM by ral1963.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.