Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Unsafe To Carry"
Posted by: geezer43 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 08:10AM

Never had a problem with U-Haul and I have rented from them several times. They knew I was going to haul a Corvair, I made it very plain to them. No problem, "Lets hook you up."

Jim Johnson, Chandler, Arizona
63 Monza convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 11, 2018 08:50PM

The lady behind the counter was a young 85 years old and she wanted to just enter in another vehicle for me and get me out of there. But the computer was being icky so she called her boss a guy half her age and a little closer to mine.

He found out we were trying to switch vehicles and went ballistic. Apparently he'd lost a lawsuit personally with somebody who said they were going to tow a car and ended up towing a motorcycle instead. The motorcycle fell off and they sued Uhaul.

Luckily she had already entered my second vehicle into the computer. She didn't tell him that the car we were trying to change away from wasn't the one that was already in the computer and neither did I.

I got my car over to the body shop.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: March 11, 2018 09:00PM

Matt...

If I posted about this before I'm sorry. I don't remember what I was talking about 7 years ago. :-)

I do remember that I was able to do a U-haul of my last Corvair from my home in the city of Orange California to the old California Corvairs sight. The one before Jeff moved.

It was actually an adventure and I almost lost the car because I was daydreaming and didn't realize that I had gotten up to 80 miles an hour.

I've never seen a trailer fishtail like that before.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: March 12, 2018 08:02AM

Interesting stories, Eric.

Seems like it is a lot safer to load a Corvair backwards onto a trailer in order to put the engine weight closer to the tow vehicle.
Less fishtailing, too.

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: March 12, 2018 08:13AM

It is ultimately on the driver if something goes wrong and equipment is not used properly or the load balanced. Uhaul like any company is first trying to cover their behinds. Question comes down to luck and how much you have to lose if it goes toes up.

The backwards loading doesn't work well with a convertible as I understand it. Is that the case?

Thanks,

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 12, 2018 08:53AM

MtnVairMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The backwards loading doesn't work well with a
> convertible as I understand it. Is that the
> case?
>

Depends. I've towed a vert backwards that didn't have a top (just a frame) by tying down a trimmed sheet of plywood with one end jambed in the back seat crack and the top end leaning on the top of the windshield... front seats folded forward.
I don't remember driving above 55mph, but I arrived safely. It obviously had to be well-secured.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: March 12, 2018 10:31AM

On the last u-haul trailer I rented the coupler would back itself out (they have a handwheel/detent mechanism rather than the usual spring latch) while being towed. When I informed the staff upon returning it, their response was "it works fine."

Interesting position they have... Corvair: "Unsafe to carry"; trailer that can completely disengage itself and jump off the hitch at any time: "A-OK."

Incidentally, I told them I was towing a Ford Falcon...because I was. I just happened to also be towing a Corvair on the return trip. Backed it on. Zero problems (aside from u-haul's faulty equipment).

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: March 12, 2018 11:01AM

Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like UHaul turns away more business than
> they accept. Heck of a way to run a business.

I would agree with that! I've been trying to retrieve my motorcycle from my uncle's place that's about 50 miles away. I don't have a vehicle to tow. U-Haul has a trailer that is made specifically for motorcycles and would be ideal. I called and asked about renting the trailer and a pickup truck to pull it with. They said they wouldn't do it because they have found that when they rent trucks and trailers together they are seldom returned to the same location. Huh???

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Date: March 12, 2018 12:45PM

Yeah, Greg, moving vehicles around would seem to be why Uhaul exists. Why should they care when considering whether the customer can request it?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: March 12, 2018 01:43PM

Before they made it a no no I rented one and towed facing forward. 67 = good; 68 = not good. I kept it 67 and below.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 12, 2018 03:26PM

All trailers need to be front heavy. Suggest, NEVER tow a Corvair unless the heavy end is at the trailer's front end. Front heavy yields control. Tow safe.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 12, 2018 03:43PM

Front to the front works fine on both of my standard 16' flatbeds. You do have to load the car as far forward as it will go or you will have issues. Towing backwards I have to load the car toward the rear of the trailer.
I lost a windshield one time towing a convertible backwards with no top.
I do use load levelers and sway control.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.