Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM - Door Support During Hinge Adjustment
Posted by: JP_REX ()
Date: March 09, 2018 05:30PM

Hello Everyone,
Ever since I got it, the rear end of the passenger side door on my 67 coupe has dropped slightly when it is unlatched. In other words, the latch is pulling the rear of the door up into position when the door is closed. The hinges feel tight, so I think I just need to loosen and align the hinges.

Can anyone recommend a method for supporting the weight of the door when I loosen the hinges?

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks!

John
67 Coupe 110/4-spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM - Door Support During Hinge Adjustment
Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: March 09, 2018 05:38PM

I use a floor jack. You might also look at the hinge pin bushings.

65 Crown Hardtop

Huntsville, AL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 05:39PM by 19sixty5.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 09, 2018 06:10PM

I too use Daddy's lil helper. A floor jack and big block of hard rubber to cushion bottom edge.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 09, 2018 06:31PM

Floor jack and 2 x 4 or 2 x whatever is sitting around.winking smiley

On freshly painted doors I have gone as far as wrapping the chunk of wood with a nice soft towel.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: March 09, 2018 06:48PM

make sure your jack doesn't "bleed" while setting.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Date: March 09, 2018 06:58PM

Thanks everyone! 2x4s, blankets, towels, rubber pads and a jack. Got it!

John

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: March 09, 2018 07:06PM

Just a tip. Before you loosen your hinges, trace around a section of the hinge with a pencil. That way, if you change the position and it makes the door worse you can put the hinges back where they were. This may save you from wanting g to jump off a cliff in frustration later.

Vin
Dayton, OH
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible (4 speed)

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 09, 2018 07:30PM

Good tip from Vin.
Or consider drilling an 1/8" hole through the hinge and into the backing to make it easier to re-align (with a nail or pin).

BTW, the sheet metal backing where the hinge attaches might be rusted/weakened and causing the door to drop.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 07:33PM by flamingchariots.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 09, 2018 08:46PM

"Hanging" a door requires a lot of patience and re-tries. When done correctly the results are very satisfying. I've seen some very bad alignments from the factory.

Don't allow one hinge to fight another or your door will bind when closing. If one hinge needs to be moved, the other will have to be loosened to swift a little.

Old seals take a "set" and when you realign a door that was off a lot you may need to replace the seals to eliminate air leaks

Posted by: art in va ()
Date: March 09, 2018 08:55PM

Would it be a matter of adjusting the striker rather than the hinges? If the hinges aren't worn, seems like the striker could be just as likely and much easier to adjust.

Art in VA
67 Sedan

Date: March 10, 2018 06:58AM

Vin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a tip. Before you loosen your hinges, trace
> around a section of the hinge with a pencil. That
> way, if you change the position and it makes the
> door worse you can put the hinges back where they
> were. This may save you from wanting g to jump
> off a cliff in frustration later.

I've always called those "witness marks".

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 10, 2018 07:23AM

art in va Wrote:
> Would it be a matter of adjusting the striker
> rather than the hinges? If the hinges aren't
> worn, seems like the striker could be just as
> likely and much easier to adjust.

My thoughts too but I ASSUMED he already checked door gaps and body line fitment. If door body line meets up with rear quarter panel, by all means lower the striker post in the jamb a tad first.

Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 07:25AM

good morning all

i use a jack and towel I
also remove the striker and adjust the hinges until
it fits then adjust the striker to the door

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 07:26AM by hjackson3149.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 10, 2018 07:55AM

hjackson3149 Wrote:
> good morning all
>
> i use a jack and towel I
> also remove the striker and adjust the hinges
> until
> it fits then adjust the striker to the door

Yes that's the way, otherwise the latch and post take a beating.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 10, 2018 08:18AM

I made a tool with a piece of 2x4 just for door mounting and adjustment. I took a 2x4 28" or so long and routed a 3/4" wide rectangular slot down the middle of one side. For door mounting you set the bottom of the door into the slot and weasel the jack into position and bolt up the door. For adjustment you can slide the jack forward or back to help get the tip you need. For painted doors I add a piece of old towel to protect the door further.

A tip on door adjusting. First and most important is to remove the door striker. You do not want the striker interfering with any alignment or adjustments you make. Once the door is beautifully aligned in the body then you can re-install the striker and adjust it for a nice smooth closure that holds the door flush in the rear.

When ever possible adjust at one side of one hinge only each time. If the door must move straight up or down you will need to loosen both hinges at body or door for this, but all other adjustments in and out and forward an rear ward can be done by fully loosening only one side of one hinge at a time. If you need the rear of the door higher you can loosen the top or bottom hinge at the body and loosen also 2 of the 3 bolts on the other hinge at the body (leaving one bolt tight will allow the door to pivot but not allow the entire hinge to move out of position). Raise or lower the rear of the door to position and re-tighten hinges. Moving the whole door forward or rearward Is exactly the same adjustment. Lets say the door is too far aft. Do as above loosening upper hinge first, adjust door too high a bit and tighten one bolt on upper hinge... loosen the bolt left tight on the lower hinge and lower the rear of the door to position...tighten lower hinge bolt or bolts. You have now moved the entire door forward. To move rearward I loosen the lower hinge at body first, raise the rear of the door tighten a lower hinge bolt and then loosen the top and lower the door to position. Keep in mind that there is whole door up and down adjustment at both body and door side of the hinges. Whole door up and down adjustment requires both hinges loose at either door or body. Fore and aft adjustment (and door tip) is only available at the body side of the hinges and in and out adjustment only at the door side. For adjusting in and out follow the same basic procedure and fully loosen top or bottom hinge from the door only (loosen the other hinge at the door except one bolt). Shift door in or out at top or bottom depending on which hinge you loosened. Tighten a bolt on the loose hinge to door and then proceed to loosen the one tight bolt on the other hinge if needed to move that part of the door. If you loosen both hinges at the same time during adjustments you are likely to loose whatever you had and have to start all over (LOL sometimes this is a good thing but usually it is not).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 10, 2018 02:57PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! That was a pain, but it definitely closes better now. With the striker removed, the door was initially too low at the rear. I could feel that the striker was pulling the door up, so that's why I got into this in the first place.

When I tilted the door up to improve the fit at the rear, I got interference at the body line "point" at the front of the door when I swung the door open. I tried to move the entire door rearward to eliminate that interference but then the aft vertical gap was too tight. I slid the door inward slightly at the forward end to increase clearance between the "point" and the body.

I put the striker back on and now it closes very smoothly. The aft vertical gap is a little tighter than I would prefer, but the forward gap is within the spec given in the Fisher body manual and the gaps are pretty even, so I suspect I'm about as good as it can get.

The hinge bolts have Torx/star heads, which I understand was a change introduced in 67. The heads of several of them nearly stripped before I got them loose. I'm going to replace the bolts before I fully tighten them.

Thanks again for the help.

John
67 Coupe 110/4-spd

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 10, 2018 03:23PM

Yes the late model doors generally are in some from flush at the front. Most times you can not get them happy if the front is flush particularly out near the body line.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.