Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
4 carb 140
Posted by: porscheavw ()
Date: March 07, 2018 05:21PM

Hello everyone! I just bought a rare 62 Beetle with a complete Transvair kit on it. It has a 140 four carb motor that was taken out of a track car that was totaled. I work on a lot of VW's and I'm pretty good at adjusting and balancing dual carbs on a vw. Can I unhook the linkage and sinc the carbs just like the VW motors?
When I was 10 years old a guy across from my grandmother had a bug with a transvair kit on it and I was in love with that car. Like mine it had the complete fiberglass rear end treatment and really looked killer.
Now at 63 years old I have my own to play with! Are there any Corvair guys near West Virginia that could help me get this thing tuned up a little better than it is now? This is my first Corvair and unlike my VW's this one has 0 leaks!!! Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4 carb 140
Date: March 07, 2018 05:35PM

Welcome!
This is going to require some photos, dontcha know...
Just study the mechanism and get a feel to know which adjustable connectors need to be adjusted first to get the throttle plates to open first on the primary side and then on the secondary side.
Might post up a photo of the engine top with the linkage so we know what you are dealing with.

I can put you in touch with a Corvair Expert extraordinaire if you are near Hurricane, West, by God, Virgina...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 07, 2018 05:35PM

Welcome to the CCF! Several members here from your area... and a few chapters of CORSA as well.

Hopefully Whubbell will chime in.

And YES the stock Rochester carbs have individual idle speed screws...

After getting the primaries balanced.... then you align the crossbar's links so the slip into place without changing the idle

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 07, 2018 05:42PM

Here is a page on adjusting the stock linkage.

One of the members here Roger Parent (rlp11) has made a new quality replacement for the old loosey linkage that came on the engines originally.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: March 07, 2018 06:10PM

Thank you. That's not too far from me. Pictures will be loaded this week

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: March 07, 2018 06:53PM

If you haven’t already figured out, not all four carburetors work simultaneously. On each bank, you have a primary and a secondary. The secondaries only kick in when you open up the throttle far enough to engage them. You start by balancing the primaries as Matt described, then you deal with the secondaries.

Depending on what year motor/carburetors you have, the secondaries may or may not have idle circuits. (I think... I’ve only ever had 65 150 motors, and my memory seems to suck these days) others will chime in and correct me here...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 08, 2018 06:16AM

The 65 Secondary linkage is a curved slide sort of a thing on the crossover.

The 66 Secondary linkage is a fixed point on the crossover and then springs that compress. 66 also has an arrangement that locks the Secondaries until the Primary choke opens up.

The closing of the Secondaries can be problematic.

I usually get it running on the Primaries only before introducing the Secondaries. I come across a lot of wrong or binding linkage, hence the getting it good and then introducing more. It can be difficult to figure out what's wrong when you start with everything in place.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: March 08, 2018 07:02AM

What part of West "By God" Virginia are you in?

Eastern panhandle - you're close to the Maryland CORSA Chapter.
Northern West Virginia - you're close to the Pittsburgh CORSA Chapter who are hosting the 2018 Corvair Convention in July.
Southwest West Virginia - Rick Norris or myself in Hurricane.
Central or SE West Virginia - I've got nuthin', maybe a Virginia Chapter.

Welcome to the forum.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Date: March 08, 2018 01:27PM

Could someone give me the number of the guy from Hurrican West Virginia that can tune my car. Thanks,Tom 304 482 6964

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 08, 2018 01:41PM

wv-geo most likely can... otherwise I'm sure he knows Rick. N.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 09, 2018 11:05AM

Thanks....I got a hold of Rick and he said he would look at it. Thanks guys!!
Will try to get pictures up soon.

Date: March 09, 2018 11:14AM

You are in good hands...

Tell Rick N. to get on the Corvair Center Forum!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.