Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Roll cage suggestions
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: March 07, 2018 10:06AM

I'm looking at Rhodes roll cages online for my 66 Corvair monza stinger clone. They make a 6.4 $300 delivered or a 10.4 $400 delivered. Does anybody use these and any suggestion on which one I should get. Again this is a drive around town and the occasional autocross car. If I get the 10 point does it actually go through the front? Can't seem to find any reference pictures online. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roll cage suggestions
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 07, 2018 10:28AM

A full cage is pretty restrictive for getting into/out of the car.

As I have suggested earlier you need to check with your local club rules and compare with SCCA. Use whichever is the most critical. Look at autopower for roll bars too

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 07, 2018 11:36AM

Most autocrosses don't require a cage, at the most a roll bar if you have a convertible.

If you want to see what a cage is supposed to look like and be legal for SCCA go to the SCCA GCR scroll down and download the GCR, March is the latest. It will be a little daunting to find the cage construction in there but once you get to it you can compare to what you see for sale to what is required if you ever go to a place that would require a cage.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 07, 2018 01:04PM

Plus be careful with tube sizes, wall thicknesses and tube type (ERW vs. DOM). If you are looking for an SCCA cert - They will want to see the receipts. They used to drill a hole near the bottom of the main hoop/tube to verify wall thickness. I don't know if they still do that. Diameters and wall thickness are dictated by racing weight of the empty car.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site []

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.