Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What happened to Corvair Underground?
Posted by: mattlockwood ()
Date: March 07, 2018 04:45AM

Late December, I ordered a Superkit B rebuild kit from the Corvair Underground. I sent the money via PayPal, and also shipped a set of good cylinder barrels for the core charge.

A month or so later, I called to check on the progress, and got a promise to ship “the next day”. A month after that (late Feb or so) I called and left a voicemail, got another reply that it would “go out tomorrow”.

I gave up a couple days ago and send a refund request via PayPal for the $880 for the rebuild kit plus the $120 for the core charge.

No response.

I’m still coming from a place of “good faith” but I’d like either my kit or my money back.

Does anyone know what’s happened at Corvair Underground?

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What happened to Corvair Underground?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 07, 2018 05:11AM

Here is the latest on Corvair Underground as of yesterday in an email to me.
He is not "out of business, just downsizing"

Since you started the PayPal route, keep pressing PayPal. They will get you the right resolution. It takes 2 weeks minimum from when they send the initial contact to the business. BTDT.

On my side of the equation, I am looking for part numbers and car make and model for the Disc Brake Kit I bought from him back in 2016. With Lon not supporting his products much longer, I need the info. This just in case anything happens to my disc brakes down the road and I need new parts. I don't want to buy a new kit, if I need a new rotor or caliper.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 07, 2018 05:13AM

There's another thread recently about broken fins. It took him 4 months to get cylinders but he doesn't name the vendor, the poster is in Seattle.
There was a thread in about January that Corvair Underground is winding down towards retirement and things are on sale.
I've always done okay with Corvair Underground but I haven't done that much, mainly because shipping from the east coast is quicker here.
I hope it works out for you, that's a lot of money. It probably wasn't cheap to ship cast iron cylinders either.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 07, 2018 05:22AM

Thanks for the replies.

The shipping for the cylinders was $65 so Im only netting about $60. They were good cylinders so I figured it was worth it to keep them in the system.

I just noticed that Lon posted sale information yesterday, so Im glad to see he is ok. Having said that, I feel that 2.5 months is long enough and Im ready to move on.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 07, 2018 06:28AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's another thread recently about broken fins.

[corvaircenter.com]
Guess who that vendor was? One in the same.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 07, 2018 07:32AM

I still don't see the vendor named in that other thread.

I take too long on my stuff too sometimes, I'm trying to get better but one person can only do so much. Communication and truth are important. Waiting for Machine Shops is another layer of time.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 07, 2018 09:25AM

So glad I have a Machine shop that knows Corvairs, I get my stuff back in a matter of days and its perfect every time! thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Posted by: TahoeRon ()
Date: March 07, 2018 09:44AM

I made several posts on a thread about Dual Master Cylinder converson, saying that I was having difficulty getting items I ordered and paid for from Corvair Underground.

Moderator MattNall then posted this:

"Folks!!
No need to discuss it publically... PM people who are interested...
We all know how to do business with him... only a few have problems.."

He then closed the thread.

Need I say more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 09:45AM by TahoeRon.

Date: March 07, 2018 10:23AM

It took me a year to get my money back from him for a Rear disc conversion. I contacted corsa who said "He's on hard times" that was their excuse.. so I finally got the Credit card company involved and got my money back.

No idea why such a tight knit community condones this kind of thing. I own 3 businesses and if we treated customers like this we'd be done.

just ignorant.

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: March 07, 2018 10:36AM

azdave Wrote:
> JimBrandberg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's another thread recently about broken
> fins.
>
> [corvaircenter.com]
> Guess who that vendor was? One in the same.

This.

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> I still don't see the vendor named in that other
> thread.
>

I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe my situation was unique. I just included the part about the supplier to address the natural suggestion of "send it back and ask for a not-broken one" as not a viable option.

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Communication and truth are important.

This!

Once the money changed hands, what I got was dead silence until I pestered them enough (sometimes for weeks) to get an arbitrary date followed by more dead silence, repeat, repeat.

To date, they have delivered most of the parts I've paid them for, with the only issue so far being the broken fins and absurdly long turnaround.

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: March 07, 2018 10:42AM

Jonathon/Matt/Ron/Dave, etc,

I think what you are running into is this... Lon Wall (founder/proprietor of Corvair Underground) has been a long-standing, respected supplier, supporter, general "great guy", and pillar of the Corvair community. He is clearly struggling and down-sizing, but because of what he has meant to our hobby over the last 4 decades... and the fact that he is a very likable, helpful, nice guy... I think many are hesitant to throw him under the bus, and are uncomfortable with any negative discussion regarding him.

I don't blame you for your frustrations or canceling your orders, but I think it's the public nature of the discussions combined with the long-established respect and affection for Lon that is behind the reactions you are encountering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 10:43AM by bbakerga.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 07, 2018 11:31AM

Come on folks, this has been going on since I had my shop in AZ in the 1980's and a client brought me a Corvair Underground engine rebuild kit that was supposed to have a brand new cam in it.
The cam was OBVIOUSLY welded on and reground. NOT NEW.
Several other parts were questionable so I asked him to send it back and I would get the needed parts from a more reputable vendor, Clarks Corvair.
He was still waiting for his $$$ back when I was done with his engine a couple months later.
Don't know if he ever got it back.
Why this isn't allowed to be called out to protect other folks from being taken advantage of is beyond my understanding.
Avarice is avarice, not matter what terms it is couched in.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 11:37AM by dryenko.

Date: March 07, 2018 11:38AM

I’d like to point out that I have made several attempts to resolve this issue with Lon, and have gotten nowhere.

We’re talking close to $1000 here.

I don’t mean to publicly disparage him but I feel I have a reasonable expectation for services that I paid for.

Furthermore, it seems there are a few coming out of the woodwork to share their negative experiences. Had I seen those beforehand, I’d have looked elsewhere for my needs. My point on that being that the public nature of the debate may prevent future problems like this. Again, I’ve made several attempts in private to resolve this with him. Either dead silence or “I think I shipped that already” and “that’s going out tomorrow” and “I thought you cancelled that order”

There hasn’t been anything like “I’m weeks behind on my orders” or “I can’t get it done, would you like your money back?”. Nothing like that

I’m not trying to shame him, I just want my money back. It’s been more than two months

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 11:43AM by mattlockwood.

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: March 07, 2018 11:49AM

And I'm not defending LW or CU... I'm just offering an explanation for the responses you guys are getting. I agree that you should indeed get what you've paid for... in a timely manner.

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: March 07, 2018 11:55AM

I paid for parts back in September and got all my order except for some distributor lead wires. I have contacted Lon numerous times and it is always well send it the next day. Well those days are long gone and still no parts. I contacted the Corsa Parts and Repair chairman Ken Hand and he said he cannot do anything about it since Lon is not on the list in the Communique.
When I was the Corsa Parts and Repair Chairman back in the 80's I received more complaints about him than any other vendor.

I think it is time to go to the Attorney General in Oregon and get a stop to all of this. If he can't deliver he should not take the orders.
John Sweet

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 07, 2018 12:42PM

upnorth1 Wrote:
> Though there
> have been problems in the past I dont believe he
> means to harm anyone. I think he just gets
> overwhelmed by the Stuff in life.

I would be overwhelmed too if I ran a business like he does.

Anyone remember this thread? I can find 10 more just like it.
[www.corvairforum.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

FORUM RULES "Refresher!! "
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 07, 2018 12:45PM

Since it appears you folks have either forgotten, Don't understand,or have never read them....

Rule #1: Use common sense (This is a family forum)

Rule #2: No politics or religion or vendor/member bashing..... None. Zero. If someone does post a topic that is not allowed....send them a Personal Message "PM"
or report the posting and the mod's will be notified!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

Rule #3: Have Fun! This is a hobby after all!

Rule #4 Signatures are limited to 10 lines high

Rule #5 "Off Topic" MUST BE AUTO RELATED!

These rules are not up for discussion and must be followed at all times or the thread may be closed, edited, or deleted at the moderator's discretion.

Discuss?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 07, 2018 12:53PM

My very first order was a catalog. Took 3 months. No notifications. Second order was a few parts. Took 3 months to get everything, individually sent over time. Again, no notification. I think the only other time I got something from them was on Ebay, that transaction was perfect. Quick ship/fast response. Will not order again.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: March 07, 2018 12:57PM

so its ok for vendors to screw forum members and we just have to shut our mouths about it?

that doesnt sit well with me.

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: March 07, 2018 01:01PM

Is relaying a factual account considered "bashing?"

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.