Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
150 HP Turbo Questions
Posted by: eimis ()
Date: March 04, 2018 04:12PM

I’ve got some questions regarding some work on my 64 turbo 150. Does anyone know if I remove the original filter with return line, and install a Holley regulator and in line filter, if I’ll have any problems with flooding like I did before?

And is anyone running an external wastegate? I installed one since I swapped to a Weber carb, I’d like to know how people have their vacuum lines routed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 150 HP Turbo Questions
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: March 04, 2018 04:38PM

I connect the waste gate line to the right side intake pad at the base of the cross over.

Lee J

Posted by: eimis ()
Date: March 04, 2018 04:40PM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I connect the waste gate line to the right side
> intake pad at the base of the cross over.

Thanks!! I was wondering if you could do that because the instructions with the wastegate say it's supposed to be installed before the boost source.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 05, 2018 07:52AM

I try to leave the stock type filter and return line to the tank and then plumb a regulator into the 5/16 steel line to the carb. You have to get arty with the Holley regulator that has the allen bolt adjustment because it's 3/8 NPT. I did a Weber lately and the fitting to that was another level of complexity.

It's way easier if you can live with rubber hose, I usually can't.
The return line to the tank is a really good thing if you can.

The Edelbrock type regulator with the knob might be easier to plumb. I don't know if they're as good as they used to be. I think they're 1/8 NPT which is easier to adapt but I wonder if 1/8 NPT is restrictive. Probably not as long as it's straight, not 90 degrees.

I might plumb a 1/8 NPT pressure gauge in for testing temporarily but then install a plug. I don't know if I trust a cheap gauge not to leak long term.

I'm certainly interested in waste gate discussion which is usually a separate issue when using something different than the Carter YH.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 05, 2018 08:53AM

I don't know how a waste gate could possibly work if it were connected before the boost source. It has to see boost to know when to open. My waste gate has two fittings and they get connected differently depending on the setup. If you run just spring pressure then only one fitting is used and the other is left open. If you are using an electronic boost control like I do then then they both get used. But either way the reference is at the same place that Lee has his.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.