Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Aluminum Brake Drums?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 03, 2018 02:40PM

So I was supposed to pick up my Corsa today, but the guy had a medical issue so that didn't pan out. Instead I've been poking around looking at parts.

Does an aluminum drum in the rear (I know this says front) help with horsepower? That little bit of weight gain? Ir does it not make enough difference to bother for the money?

[www.carid.com]

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aluminum Brake Drums?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 03, 2018 03:29PM

Not enough for a streeter.. Light wheels make the difference..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 04, 2018 05:35AM

The racers use them for the heat dissipation under hard braking. Do you need this for the street? NO. Do you need this for racing? Only if you don't ventilate the backing plate and supply cooling air properly. There is such a thing as over cooling the brakes on a race car.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 04, 2018 09:07AM

If you check the Cardone list those drums ONLY fit the Buick mid size REAR drums and the Corvair FRONT.

The LM Corvair used the same drum size as the GM mid size cars, except the larger front "A" body car drums were used on the rear of the Corvair and vice versa for the front "A" body to Corviar.

The Buicks used aluminum finned front and rear briefly on high performance cars until disc brakes became available. Decades ago you could find the larger aluminum "A" body front drums for the Corvair rear at junkyards, but not now.

Here is some information posted by Rick Loving in 2009 "The rear of the vair are a little different. The rear of the vair would take a normal GM front drum that is 2-1/2" x 9-1/2" dia. GM aluminum front brake drum (Hollander Interchange Code Number 530-01204 and 530-1106) All current replacement drums are steel so the only chance you have of finding alum is NOS (unlikely) or from a wrecking yard. The selection is very limited as the front alum drums were only offered on the following.

64-72 Buick Gran Sports & Specials
64-69 Olds F-85's "

I've read the folks who raced Corvairs could use the Buick drums per the rules, but I have not confirmed this.

A credit to Buick engineering and I think the only GM division to use the aluminum drums as standard equipment on the large engine car (optional on the Olds). Try stopping a 65 GTO with cast iron drums from 90 MPH - scary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 09:10AM by 66vairman.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 04, 2018 09:08AM

Those are not correct for the rear anyways. Agreed that not needed for the street. Rodders back in the day used them for the look..polished. JC Whitney even made fake discs to look like them in the front!

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: March 04, 2018 09:53AM

78-88 G body and certain 82-92 F bodies have aluminum drums that fit the front of the late model Corvairs

Lee J

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 06, 2018 05:02AM

The only time I ever faded the brakes on a LM was with my heavy (over 3000#) factory a/c w/auto convert, when I had it loaded to the hilt, and with three adult males aboard. One was Dave Newell, and all his literature that he had with him. He and the other passenger had to "wear" some of the cargo. LOL

I had occasion to descend a long hill, at the bottom of which was the mandatory (don't all hills have one at the bottom?) stop sign. Barely got it stopped after having to brake all the way down the hill.eye popping smiley

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.