Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
My Winter Project - Heat & AC in V8 Rampsidehot smiley
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: March 03, 2018 10:38AM

My winter project was to install heat & air conditioning in the 63 V8 Rampside.

I had originally planned to have a mechanic friend, who specializes in Corvettes, perform the entire installation.

As such I had driven the truck to him several times to see what he would need in terms of time and dollars to make it happen.

During one of the visits, he stated that he planned to remove the passenger side front access panel and replace it with sheet metal that would box in that space between the interior and the nose to allow the evaporator unit to sit as high as possible.

So just prior to bringing him the truck, I became curious as to how he was going to make this work.

Therefore, I removed that panel and quickly concluded that his approach was not going to be acceptable to me because there was too little room to be gained at the risk of water leaks between the firewall and the “new” panel and would force the removal of the glovebox.

The other concern was the evaporator unit, suggested by my friend, was designed for a full-size truck and was downright huge.

Since nobody makes a kit to fit a Rampside with a V8 in the bed, I began researching and found Restomod Air in Texas.

They make the Bantam II unit that provides heating and cooling in “the smallest system on the market with the biggest baddest punch”.

Since Restomod Air sells everything “a la carte”, I purchased the unit itself, still planning to have my friend install it along with the other parts to be purchased elsewhere.

When the Bantam II unit arrived, I placed it inside the cab and quickly realized just how precious little room there is even with the “smallest system on the market”.

After many hours of staring at the unit laying inside the cab, taking numerous measurements and trying to puzzle this out, I started making brackets that would hold the unit just above the floor.

Again, I was still planning to have my friend do all the “hard work” after I made the brackets.

This project also involved replacing the radiator, the water pump, figuring out how to plumb the heater hoses and AC hose lines, figuring out where to locate the condenser and the drier, etc.

The breakthrough came when I discovered that Vintage Air sells the EZ Clip hose kit that allows amateurs to make their own custom AC hoses.

This was critical because the gap between the bottom of the radiator and the truck bed was less than 1 inch to allow plumbing of the heater hose and AC hose lines to the front of the cab using the ram air tunnel.

Being able to use the #10 EZ Clip AC hose in place of the standard heater hose solved the problem because the #10 hose is 0.64” in diameter.

Long story, short, I was able to do all the installation work myself with lots of guidance from the folks at Restomod Air, Vintage Air and, most importantly, my vairy good friend and mentor, Ken Arnold.

Although the heat and AC system is working well, I’m waiting for the hot & humid Georgia summer to ensure that the new engine cooling system will work as designed.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Winter Project - Heat & AC in V8 Rampsidehot smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 03, 2018 10:46AM

With the small volume of the cab.... I'll bet you'll be fine on the hottest / wettest days..

Since it appears to be only a "re-circulation" system / "MAX" on many newer cars.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 11:34AM by MattNall.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: March 03, 2018 11:22AM

Dang is that a sanitary install...and your truck is spotless Dean. thumbs up

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: March 03, 2018 11:45AM

Wow, that looks great!

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 03, 2018 12:25PM

Love it, smart upgrade for sure.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: kenvair ()
Date: March 03, 2018 05:50PM

Dean, that is a professional, neat installation and I know you are proud of yourself for making the effort to "do-it-yourself". Anybody can write a check to get the job done but it means a lot more when it is your work. I could not have found a better caretaker for my pride and joy than you...thanks, Ken Arnold

Posted by: Huntsville ()
Date: March 03, 2018 05:56PM

I was just wondering yesterday if you had heat and air in the new truck, and I didn't remember seeing it at the Springfest planning meeting. It was a little cold that day to be travelling without heat!

Danny Robertson
Huntsville, Al
'64 Spyder (Daily Driver)
'63 Rampside (Rotisseried and in Progress!)

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: March 03, 2018 07:28PM

Thanks fellas!

As with anything new, I learned a bunch and had a lot of fun doing it!

Looking forward to seeing some of you in Helen next month!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: March 04, 2018 06:52AM

Beautiful Truck!thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.