Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
fasteners etc
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: March 01, 2018 12:17PM

Duane assigned me a mildly formidable task -- to remove, bag and tag each and every fastener and clip from my LM Corsa convertible. Then glass bead blast each of them separately. Then have each of them coated and returned, to await later work and reassembly.
It was excellent advice, and I even bought a blasting cabinet to do it in, thereby to save myself driving time up to his place to work on the project. Nearly as I could tell, it was going to take considerable amount of time to do it.
(Which would have been OK -- having not seen the car for 40 years, and having had it in my shop for nearly the last four, what's a bunch more time?)
But I got to penciling things out and putting a time budget on the process, and things looked to change somewhat.
The blaster and supplies would cost about $200 or so from Harbor Freight. Would have to put that together, set it up and deal with the dust, etc.
The time would be considerable.
The chances of mislabeling something would not be overwhelming, but it would be there.
So... decided to go a different way.
Got hold of the nice folks at Clark's and asked if they would put together a list of every nut, bolt, scrip clip, bushing and whatever that would be required to do this. Took a little doing, and only some minor editing - from some of the bits I'd already ordered previously -- and it came out to just over $500 plus probably another $50 in shipping. And I won't have to pay the plating shop in Canby to coat them. (People tell me that's a somewhat spendy proposition too.)
That started to make some economic sense. Yes, I'd be trading money for time, but that's a perfectly reasonable trade at my age.
So if I return the blasting cabinet to Harbor Freight, and need not buy any supplies, that's a tad more than $200 coming back.
The fasteners etc will come already tagged with p/n and application cross-referenced to the online catalogue.
Following the list Duane gave me, the next project piece will be to polish the glass and get it properly installed. Will go to work on that once the weather ameliorates somewhat.
Then the larger parts will be properly removed, blasted and redone under his direction.
I know this approach isn't for everyone, nor would I suggest it is. But since I'm already so far into this project, the time to do other parts of it is more valuable than the painstaking effort of doing each of these small pieces individually. As for the money -- sheesh, I just last weeks spent nearly a thousand bucks on a set of wheel covers. Arguably the fasteners and clips are more important, at half the cost!
Nice service from Clark's. Ordered them this morning.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fasteners etc
Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: March 01, 2018 12:58PM

Just be aware that the Clark's fasteners won't all be an exact duplicate of the originals.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: March 01, 2018 01:52PM

Shoot -- I don't even know if the fasteners coming off my car are close to Original or not. The guy who "built" it took a lot of short cuts in the process. So I figure the Clark's will be at least a step up from there, and though there may be some that will need to be dealt with individually, that can be handled as an exception.
I figure with Duane and Rex as knowledgeable guides, it can be worked out.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 01, 2018 07:54PM

With Duane and Rex behind you, you can NOT go wrong!
Tell'em both that the Better Half & I said "Hi"

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.