Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
front bearing hub to backing plate clearance
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 01, 2018 11:27AM

I decided to do some preseason PM now that the garage is getting warmer. I pulled the front wheels thinking I would repack them since its been twenty years. On drivers side grease seal was somewhat ground,worn down as was the hub. The hub was actually rolled over, trapping the seal in place. I have never heard or felt anything unusual from that wheel or any other. I usually pull the drums once a year to blow the dust out and feel for play or noise in the bearings. The bearings spindles and races all look fine. The only thing I can see is on the lower portion of the backing plate. It seems to be pushed out, and that is where the rub is. I put things back together without grease, things spin freely with no touching or scraping, but its cool now. The clearance at the tight spot is about .005" and about .030 at the top of the spindle hole. I am think maybe rust behind the plate may have forced it out or maybe it was never flat. I will probably try new bearings. Has anyone ever seen this before? what was the cause/cure? Are those grade 8 bolts holding the backing plate, hard to tell by the heads? thanks

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: front bearing hub to backing plate clearance
Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: March 01, 2018 03:19PM

Yes, I believe they are grade 8.

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 01, 2018 04:13PM

I recall there is a THIN gasket between the backing plate and spindle assembly. Maybe someone installed one that was too thick.

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: March 02, 2018 04:05AM

The clearance is pretty tight. I would bet there is rust between the spindle and backing plate. This pushes the backing plate out.

Best bet is to disassemble the backing plate, flatten it, remove rust, and reassemble.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: March 02, 2018 06:40AM

Bearings could be so worn that the hub alignment has shifted back toward the backing plate.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 07, 2018 06:22AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. The gaskets, bearings, spindle where all fine. I'm not sure what caused the bulge in the backing plate, but I beat the back with a brass drift and a BFH. This looks like a tolerance stacking situation. The last time I packed them I was still working and we had a varsol dip tank and spray booth. So I probably switched them from side to side which "should not" have caused a problem. After looking at the hubs, I noticed the rear side of one seemed deeper. I hit with my plunge caliper and sure enough, the seal step, the edge of the race and the bearing center were all .025" deeper than the non rubbing hub. When I reversed them from side to side, no rubbing. It looks like the outer side was machined first, then used as the reference for the inner steps. The inner surface that rubbed had really crude machining compared to the rest of the hub. It almost like a final step was missed. Both hubs looked crude on this surface. I tried removing some material with a file, which didn't fast enough for me. The hub was too big for my lathe. Finally I set it backwards into a brake drum for support and came straight at it with my 4 1/2" angle grinder. I took .020" off. Then I reinstalled it and checked it with a feeler. The tightest spot is now .025" and true within a couple of thousandths.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.