Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
VERY EARLY 65 CORSA ?
Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: February 28, 2018 08:13PM

THE 65 TURBO CORSA THAT I HAVE RECENTLY ACQUIRED HAS A STRANGE DECAL ON THE TURBO AIR CLEANER. IT SAYS SPYDER AT THE TOP AND 180 HP AT THE BOTTOM. COULD THIS BE A VERY EARLY 65 MODEL ? OR IS THERE ANOTHER REASON IT WOULD BE LIKE THAT ? DOUG WARD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VERY EARLY 65 CORSA ?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 28, 2018 08:15PM

I think there are aftermarket decals made that way..

Look at the VIN!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 28, 2018 08:28PM

HERE'S THE VIN. CAN YOU TRANSLATE ? 107375L110514

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 28, 2018 08:56PM

Corsa cp '65 Los Angeles 1 [ place holder until 100,000 units ]

10,514th built

[www.wileenet.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 08:58PM by MattNall.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: March 01, 2018 01:37AM

Doug, We never saw those back in the late 60's and 70's
And we both saw a bunch of 65 or 66 Corsa's that were original.

Posted by: irvan ()
Date: March 01, 2018 04:31AM

$6.95 on our friendly auction site. [www.ebay.com]

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 01, 2018 04:42AM

Doug,

Clark's Corvair has sold those fake labels for years (way cheaper than eBay too).

Part # C411 $2.65

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: March 01, 2018 04:47AM

No one has ever found a real 65 Spyder. They only exist in GM studio shots and in fairy tales smiling smiley

Lee J

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: March 01, 2018 05:29AM

The 180HP Turbo Spyder Decal originally was a factory ordered item. Very late into production planning the name for the 1965 Turbo model was going to remain Spyder...a last minute name change to CORSA (meaning Race in Italian) happened, but unfortunately the 180 SPYDER decals had already been designed and ordered. I am not sure if Clarks is selling repo's of this decal or original left over printed stock.

A little more to the story....Thanks to David Trull, Dave Newell, and many others who have researched the "1965 Spyder"...

The decision to replace the Spyder model name with Corsa came about because of the Mustang. Chevy management felt that it wasn't enough to introduce an all-new Corvair.

By introducing it with a new name, like the Mustang, it might seem more like a new car line, or make more of a splash in the public's mind. Also Surveys showed that the “Spyder” name did not score high with women, so in May 64 the change was made. But, production parts had already been ordered; publicity and advertising photos were being taken, and yes, even the turbo engine stickers had been printed*.

The 1965 Mockup Monza Spyder had wire wheels, which were planned for 65 but canceled. The Spyder emblems were below the Monza crests on the front fenders (that's why the 65 Monza crests are placed so high!) and regular Monza emblems on the door panels & glove box door, with Spyder script below the glove box emblem. The horn button was regular Monza, not a Spyder web as in 64. I can't say what the standard Spyder wheel cover emblems would have looked like since they weren't shown on any prototypes. They probably had the regular Monza cross.

The Spyder web had fallen somewhat out of favor; it was a bit scary for a logo!
The dash & glove box finish on prototype Spyders was silver as on Monzas; the black crinkle finish was a last minute change. This explains why the Corsa dash in the owners manual is Silver. I heard from one Willow Run retiree that as Spyder parts ran out, some cars were equipped with some Spyder decoration and some Corsa. May or may not be true. Karl Ludvigsen’s book ‘The Experimental Corvair states that several 1965 Spyders were produced for sale before the complete changeover to Corsa only emblems occurred.

* The Spyder 180 sticker was available for years through Chevy's decal/sticker supplier,
Prentice Products, along with other Vair & Chevy sticker.
It is believed that several 1965 Spyder badged cars were built. There have been several possible candidates, but they have been subsequently ruled out. The first and most well known is Charles Lee’s car, which was shown in 1975, and is pictured in Dave Newell’s book “the Incompleat Corvair”. After much detective work tracking down clues regarding the whereabouts of this car, documents showing Vin number and license number rule out this car as a 1965 Spyder. Vin for this car was 105375W130482 and this matched the License shown in the photograph (KRV 255). This Vin explains why no evidence of Corsa badging could be found when examined. Two other cars ( 1st and 2nd Canadian Corsa convertibles) were believed to have been initially badged as a Spyders, but when the inside of the front fender was examined, no evidence of Monza or Spyder badging found. Standard Corsa badging found on both. Both cars did have Spyder 180hp air cleaner stickers and Split bucket headlights. These car where built in mid August 1964, much too late to be badged as Spyders. Only the very first Turbocharged Corsas built in 1965 could have been badged as Spyders. This would include any Pilot cars built and possibly a few regular production cars. Since no 1965 Pilots have ever been documented to have appeared, it is likely that all the 1965 Pilots were scrapped and that would include any 1965 Spyders built. For some reason only a few 1966 Pilots have survived and this is thought to be an anomaly, since it was GM’s policy to destroy all pilots. Hopefully a 1965 Pilot Spyder may surface someday. Now it is also possible that a few of the very first regular production Turbo cars may have been badged as Spyders. They would have been built much later than the Pilots, so are much less likely to have been badged as Spyders, but since no low Vin numbered Turbo cars have surfaced, this is still a possibility. Vin would likely be less than 20.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Attachments:

Date: March 01, 2018 06:28AM

Here's some more photos:

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 01, 2018 06:52AM

I remember when Clarks first started reproducing air cleaner stickers.

Regarding this sticker, they explained the artwork from GM had all the expected regular production stickers but to their surprise, there was also artwork for the "Spyder 180hp" sticker included in the mix.

They decided to produce some just for fun and offer them along with the production versions. I bit the bait and purchased one (and recently replaced it after using the one I purchased 30 years ago.)

I put it on my '65 Evening Orchid turbo convertible just so I could reply "Yes!" and gleefully point at the sticker when someone at a car show asked "Is it a Spyder?".grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 06:53AM by cnicol.

Attachments:

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 01, 2018 07:00AM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No one has ever found a real 65 Spyder. They only
> exist in GM studio shots and in fairy tales smiling smiley

Steve asks: anyone here that can relate the story of
Charles Lee? There are a couple of lengthy stories
about him and his car. One was in the COMMUNIQUE as
I recall.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: March 01, 2018 08:57AM

Steve G.
From Rick Loving's post above:
There have been several possible candidates, but they have been subsequently ruled out. The first and most well known is Charles Lee’s car, which was shown in 1975, and is pictured in Dave Newell’s book “the Incompleat Corvair”. After much detective work tracking down clues regarding the whereabouts of this car, documents showing Vin number and license number rule out this car as a 1965 Spyder. Vin for this car was 105375W130482 and this matched the License shown in the photograph (KRV 255). This Vin explains why no evidence of Corsa badging could be found when examined. Two other cars ( 1st and 2nd Canadian Corsa convertibles) were believed to have been initially badged as a Spyders, but when the inside of the front fender was examined, no evidence of Monza or Spyder badging found. Standard Corsa badging found on both. Both cars did have Spyder 180hp air cleaner stickers and Split bucket headlights. These car where built in mid August 1964, much too late to be badged as Spyders. Only the very first Turbocharged Corsas built in 1965 could have been badged as Spyders.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: March 02, 2018 02:22PM

Hey everyone,
Thanks so much for all this new to me information ! I printed all the responses & made an historical file from them. ( BOY, do I feel smarter now ) Doug Ward

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.