Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Build Thread: '66 Sprint Convertible
Date: November 04, 2019 03:52PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big excitement here at the Nicol house! As some of you know, we're packing to move and when you do that you bump into things you didn't know you had.
>
> I found five more pictures of the Sprint from back in the day! That more than doubles the picture count. I was so excited I was tingling. Found some others too. It was a good day!
>
> Here the two best ones.

Craig - Great photos! I see you went "pro" with the front shot down low. Looks Vairy good. Going for full period correct restoration - gotta have those fog lites and the black bezel paint.
I see it has no rear corsa 'C' on the rear quarter. Strange, that, eh?
Also the rear air grille has no bright aluminum "corsa" divider trim. Save some big bucks there!
Rear bumper guards only. Interesting. Also seems to have the wide band rear lenses. You-Nicolque! thumbs up

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 04, 2019 05:36PM

Dan wrote: "gotta have those fog lites and the black bezel paint.
I see it has no rear corsa 'C' on the rear quarter. Strange, that, eh?
Also the rear air grille has no bright aluminum "corsa" divider trim. Save some big bucks there!
Rear bumper guards only. Interesting. Also seems to have the wide band rear lenses. You-Nicolesque! thumbs up"

I put those fog lights on (lotsa fog where we lived in coastal L.A.) but they didn't do much and I didn't like the look. You won't see them in later shots.

I don't remember the missing Corsa "C". That quarter panel had been replaced before I got the car and it wasn't put on properly. It's driving Cody nuts. I think he's missing sleep over how to correct it. Given the poor quality work on the quarter, it wouldn't surprise me that they, um, "forgot" to put one on.

When this photo was taken, I probably had the temporary F.C. 102 hp engine in while I was rebuilding the 180 I purchased for it. The car had a 140, a 102, and a 180 all within probably six months. The 102 was surprisingly fun. I expect the rear air grille bright trim was hanging on the wall.

Yes, rear guards only. Odd indeed.

The car had wedding band tail lights when I bought it but, characteristically, a couple of the rings had fallen off. I "upgraded" it with all new wide-band lenses.

I can't wait to start putting it all back together. Since we're moving, I get to move every single part to the new place in boxes. Think I'll lose anything?

I've attached another one of the newly found shots. I'm guessing it's on the Pacific Coast Highway somewhere around or east of Lomita.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 05:41PM by cnicol.

Attachments:
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: November 04, 2019 06:09PM

Craig,

I see lots of industrial stuff, Lomita sounds good to me back then.

Can you read the billboard that says HAYES in the original? Might help to narrow the date. Maybe Hayes for congress?

Date: November 04, 2019 06:23PM

John wrote: " Can you read the billboard that says HAYES in the original? Might help to narrow the date. Maybe Hayes for congress?"

The Yellow license plate tab would indicate 1972. I'll see if I can read the month sticker.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: sixfourvair ()
Date: November 04, 2019 07:11PM

James A. Hayes served on the Los Angeles County Supervisor representing the 4th district and in the California State Legislature.

After the sudden death of Los Angeles County Supervisor Burton W. Chace in 1972, then-Governor Ronald Reagan appointed Hayes to replace him. He was elected outright to the office on November 7, 1972 and re-elected in 1976. On June 1, 1979, Hayes resigned from office. Governor Jerry Brown appointed Yvonne Brathwaite Burke to replace him.[2]

Date: November 04, 2019 07:34PM

sixfourvair Wrote:
> James A. Hayes served on the Los Angeles County Supervisor representing the 4th district and in the California State Legislature.
>
> After the sudden death of Los Angeles County Supervisor Burton W. Chace in 1972, then-Governor Ronald Reagan appointed Hayes to replace him. He was elected outright to the office on November 7, 1972 and re-elected in 1976. On June 1, 1979, Hayes resigned from office. Governor Jerry Brown appointed Yvonne Brathwaite Burke to replace him.[2]

Wow! You two work for the FBI? <grin> Because of the election billboard, that probably puts the picture in the September/October 1972 range.

Thanks guys!

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: November 04, 2019 11:18PM

Yes, the left rear quarter has been poorly replaced and re-damaged since. Im debating a few different options but working on other repairs as i think on it. No holes for the corsa emblem on that quarter, but there are a bonus 10+ holes from someone in the past pulling dents. Maybe we can dress it up with random emblems that fit all the odd, existing holes?

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, 03 neon, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 11:19PM by sweet66monza.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: November 05, 2019 05:55PM

That [picture] is about the same area "Gone in sixty seconds" was filmed!

Date: November 05, 2019 06:13PM

solo2r Wrote:
> That [picture] is about the same area "Gone in sixty seconds" was filmed!

Correct! South Bay Area of L.A.

One of my favorite scenes in GISS was when they wiped-out the front line at Moran Cadillac. (though they substituted lesser cars during the crashing scenes). Moran was right up the street from where I worked at Martin Chevrolet in 1974 when it was filmed.

My photo was taken in a fairly gritty area. I wonder if it was Wilmington rather than Lomita. Lomita came to mind as I was a frequent flyer at Lomita Auto Parts back then.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 06:17PM by cnicol.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 06, 2019 06:53PM

cnicol Wrote:
> solo2r Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > That [picture] is about the same area "Gone in sixty seconds" was filmed!
>
> Correct! South Bay Area of L.A.
>
> One of my favorite scenes in GISS was when they wiped-out the front line at Moran Cadillac. (though they substituted lesser cars during the crashing scenes). Moran was right up the street from where I worked at Martin Chevrolet in 1974 when it was filmed.
>
> My photo was taken in a fairly gritty area. I wonder if it was Wilmington rather than Lomita. Lomita came to mind as I was a frequent flyer at Lomita Auto Parts back then.

This statement is only half correct.
When the front-line scene was shot, Toby parked three of his personal used Cadillacs on the front line to be smashed in the "accident".
They watered down the lot so that the cars would slide sideways easier.
When the scene was shot, the cars slid TOO EASY, and a total of SIX cars were wrecked.
Yes, THREE of Morans BRAND NEW Caddies were smashed also ! ! ! eye popping smiley
GISS is one of my all time favorite car chase movies, along with the ORIGINAL Italian Job starring Sir Michael Caine.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: November 06, 2019 07:05PM

After re-reading his thread, i haven't posted an update in too long!

Several weeks ago i went over the floor pans and "touched up" all the thin spots sand blasting revealed. Then got busy catching up on another job. Im now back on it and its now ready to prep and seal up the floors and then body repairs and bodywork begins!

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, 03 neon, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 07:06PM by sweet66monza.

Attachments:
Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.