Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Harness mounts
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: February 27, 2018 07:15PM

Hey all. I have two corbeau lg1 seat that were in my 66 monza. No roll cage when I bought it as an autocross car. There are 4 mounts on the rear firewall just above where it meets the floor pan. I'm guessing it was for the harness mounts. It that unusual? I don't have the money to get a new cage right now and will use these if it is a good point of anchor. Anyone else ever done or seen this?? Thanks, Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harness mounts
Date: February 28, 2018 04:43AM

What I was talking about

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 28, 2018 05:09AM

Are those just hardware store eyes made from Grade 2 with a split in the eye or are they machine eye bolts where the eye is continuous and made from maybe a Grade 5 material? I'd want a good grade of bolt and a pretty substantial fender washer or something better to avoid tearing through the sheetmetal if something happens. The photo looks like the cheap split end ones.

The longer the run the more that belt stretch is a consideration if something happens. Probably not a big deal but it's something that the sanctioning bodies talk about. Another thing they are concerned with is the angle from the driver's shoulder to the mount.

The SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) is a good reference. If your equipment meets those, it's usually good anywhere.

You might find some good hardware in a racing supply catalog like Pegasus.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 28, 2018 05:48AM

Thanks Jim,. I really wasn't quite sure what this was all about. On the other side there are some quick release I bolts as well. I'm guessing the original owner was using them for there harness anchors but that run seemed kind of long as you stated. They roll bars going to cost me around 500 plus and I would like to have at least some seatbelt in there before I can afford the roll bar just to test it and drive around

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 28, 2018 06:00AM

Anything is better than nothing as long as you don't get complacent once you get something. I wasn't happy with my Rampside installation but never quite got around to redoing it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 28, 2018 10:46AM

Get rid of those and go buy four of these, and put a 4" square, 1/8" thick plate on the other side of all four. Harness will clip on. Cheap insurance.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.