Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
carbs from 110 used on a 140?
Posted by: Don1963 ()
Date: February 26, 2018 05:06AM

Hello out there. I have a 66 Corsa that has a 110 that the previous owner installed. I recently bought a parts car that had a 110 hp and I also bought a 140 motor that is missing the carbs. My wife is wondering how much I am going to want to spend on this car.I am wondering if I can use the 4 carbs that I have from the 110's. Any suggestions will be apppreciated.

66 Corsa 110 4spd 3.55 posi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbs from 110 used on a 140?
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 26, 2018 05:37AM

Those carb will work fine as primaries on the 140, but you will need two secondary carbs, the linkage, PCV tube, and air filter assembly for a 140.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 26, 2018 05:40AM

Sure. If rebuilt properly the 110 carbs. will work fine. I've done this a few times. Sometimes I use the secondary carbs. idle circuits, sometimes I don't. It's lil more effort is required to sync. all four at idle but not too bad.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 05:41AM by Wagon Master.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 26, 2018 05:47AM

The short answer is yes you can use four primary carburetors on a 140. Originally the secondary carbs had no idle circuit but idling on all four is sometimes prefered.

The throttle cross shaft and linkage parts can be a little hard to find and piece together, hopefully you got those parts in the deal.

You can make plates to block off the secondary ports and just use two carburetors to get it going. You can use the 110 distributor in this regard as well.

I usually tell my wife something like "not very much" or "it should work out just fine" to avoid a bone of contention but we've always sort of been like that.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 26, 2018 06:06AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! Unfortunately, I didn't get the linkage for the carbs, but I recently met a guy who has a lot of parts for just such an occasion. I like the idea of setting all four primaries to idle and trying it that way. I am lucky that my car runs and drives while I am putting this together. I will post some pictures of the car as soon as I go out to the barn this afternoon.

Date: February 26, 2018 06:14AM

As far as dealing with my wife.... I really do have a great wife who indulges my fever/affliction with wanting to rescue every old car,bicycle,boat , and lawn tractor that sits in yards and lots along the road. And I have filled my barn with enough projects to keep me busy for a long long time. Life is certainly good! Now, if it would just warm up and let spring begin here in Michigan.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 26, 2018 06:20AM

You have a shop near you in Mich. Ken Hand (vairmech) here has parts and expertise to help you. Search author vairmech

Good luck with your car/welcome to CCF.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 26, 2018 06:48AM

If you run four primary carbs, be sure they all have the high speed circuit and jets. Also check the jet size so all four are correct. Selecting the correct jets will also be important since you will need to adjust for your driving style. They can suck a lot of fuel if you get on the throttle. Buy a Unisyn gage to balance them. Tricky with four but not that hard.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 26, 2018 08:34AM

First - find out what the wife thinks is reasonable for a budget (Happy wife equals happy life).

That spare 140HP could be a bargain, or need a LOT of work.

BTW - nothing wrong with a good 110HP engine in a Corsa, especially for now and maybe down the road you can rebuild the 140HP and install it.

Roger Parent makes a very nice aftermarket 140HP linkage (rlp11 here).

My experience around other folks with four primaries on a 140HP is that they require a lot of "tinkering" to stay in tune. Years ago Steve Goodman started using the simpler 62-63 carb bases for secondaries to allow for an idle mixture on the secondaries to correct a lean idle miss fire on the drivers side. GM also added a fixed idle circuit to the secondaries around 68 or 69. They work nice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 08:38AM by 66vairman.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: February 27, 2018 09:16PM

Don, here is the most practical solution.
[www.corvair-efi.com]

My suggestion is that you will be wasting both your time and money for the carbs and attempting to get them rebuilt and properly tuned. The carburetor set up, no matter if the factory pair of HV's on most common engines or the two primary and two secondary carbs that were seen on 140hp are notoriously 1/2~assed (that's the most favorable engineering and design descriptive technical term..).
They are barely functional at best and extremely crude. See MAY 1965 POPULAR MECHANICS Owners Report on the brand new LATE Model 1965 CORVAIR------Carburetors were still one of the major complaints----on a brand new vehicle-----this in the sixth year of Corvair production----yeah that's right, good ole GM had at least 6 years up to the new 1965 models to get the Carburetion right but they could not.
In fact, they never came close before they threw in the towel on Corvair development, so nothing improved after 1966 and nothing was even close to ideal with respect to carburetion at any time from 1959 to the May 14, 1969 end of Corvair production. I highly doubt that you'll find any documentation or any interviews/rememberances of GM engineers at Rochester Products Division, and/or Chevrolet Motor Division, that tell that they were highly satisfied with the carburetion that the Corvair had. Now, why the heck would you want to go back with sixties era garbage and a crude basic dizzy that is gonna be even less satisfactory today given that todays gasoline in much different than what gasoline was in 1970.
EFI/dis might be the biggest improvement in reliabilty & driveability of the Corvair engine. As long as you also improve the original GM-Chevrolet oil leaks,(Note:there are detailed publications on How to Overcome the Factory OIL LEAKS.....e.g. Fred Johnsons' and other CORSA TECH GUIDE solutions)........as long as you stop the usual as original new GM-Chevrolet OIL LEAKING, and rebuild the engine using quality parts and the best, generally accepted most up to date methods, and equip the engine with EFI and dis, you will have the most reliable and best driving Corvair. You cannnot come close to EFI if you choose carburetion. You have at your fingertips an out of the box, bolt-on solution that is the best factory solution, even if that "factory" is in South Carolina.
One Call to CLARKS CORVAIR in Massachusetts and you can get the brown box delivered to your doorstep.........one call, thats all..............one small step for Ted, one GIANT LEAP forward in Corvair improvement!
Be sure to ask about everybody that has expressed dissatisfaction with their EFI, and also be sure to ask about those that returned their EFI / dis and decided to return to carbs and dizzy. I think that will more than answer any doubts that you might have of 'Is It Worth The Money' and 'Does It Really Make That Much Of An Improvement'.
It would probably still be a great bargain at twice the current price.
One Call Thats All.................forget carbs...........go efi /dis.....
you'll never come close, no matter how much you spend on your carbs.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: February 27, 2018 09:22PM

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 27, 2018 11:10PM

And now, Back to our regular (SANE) programing !

Experienced real world drivers report great reliability and no problems driving 50+ year-old Corvairs on multiple carburetors ! ! !
Yes folks you heard that correctly, Amazing as it sounds, people who drive 50+ year-old Corvairs are reporting that they have NO, ZERO, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, problems while driving Corvairs with carburetors designed 60 years ago ! ! !
Drivers are reporting decent fuel mileage, consistent power, and terrific throttle response!
This news is contrary to slanderous and misleading reports rumored to be floating around the internet, which purport that fuel injection is the only viable means of powering a Corvair!
BUT, we can assure you that carburetors have and will continue to be the simplest, and most affordable way to deliver liquid hydrocarbons to your cars engine!
CCF news network, signing off.
Good-night.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: February 28, 2018 04:10AM

Thanks for the info. As far as EFI on a Corvair, I wont be doing that. I have a truck and a car that are modern. I expect flawless and efficient performance from them. I like the Corvair's styling and I even enjoy the technology that existed in the Sixties. It takes me back to a time when I lived day to day and never expected things to go smoothly.I enjoy the risk of standing on the side of the road with just me and my toolbox to get home.I also enjoy hell rides in my Corvair,even if I only drive for ten minutes and 15 miles at a time!

Date: February 28, 2018 04:21AM

I do enjoy the 110 hp motor in my Corsa! It runs great, and I have a lot of other work to do. I began with installing a dual master cylinder, hoses, springs,shoes, and lines. Then I replaced the shocks and sway bar bushings. I followed that with a pertronix ignition. I recently put in a set of used seats so I can get the originals recovered.I will be taking my time with the 140 that is in my barn. The 110 will be on the shelf waiting to go back should the 140 have problems.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 28, 2018 08:51AM

Once set up properly the multiple carburetors work fine.

ANY fuel delivery system can take effort fix or set up correctly.

I spent weeks sorting out an EFI system on a 90 Corvette. I finally got it working (after the "experts" couldn't), but it was just as complex and difficult to work with as any carburetor equipped car (and a lot more expensive). The car had OBDII and NEVER stored an error fault in spite of a lumpy idle and failing emissions testing.

Don --- you might state your general location and maybe a club will be in your area were you can get some help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 08:53AM by 66vairman.

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: February 28, 2018 09:08AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once set up properly the multiple carburetors work
> fine.
>
> ANY fuel delivery system can take effort fix or
> set up correctly.
>
> I spent weeks sorting out an EFI system on a 90
> Corvette. I finally got it working (after the
> "experts" couldn't), but it was just as complex
> and difficult to work with as any carburetor
> equipped car (and a lot more expensive). The car
> had OBDII and NEVER stored an error fault in spite
> of a lumpy idle and failing emissions testing.
>
> Don --- you might state your general location and
> maybe a club will be in your area were you can get
> some help.

Agreed on the 140 carbs. 61K miles 140 here. Drove it to work yesterday, first time since November. Cranked a couple of times to fill the float bowls, started, idled on the chokes and the secondaries did their thing at the I-40 onramp.

BTW, having a 93 Vette I would bet you have sticky injectors, or some that were replaced with the wrong size. Will make on lumpy idle and richer.

What was it?

Thanks,

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 28, 2018 10:45AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once set up properly the multiple carburetors work
> fine.
>
> ANY fuel delivery system can take effort fix or
> set up correctly.
>
>
>
> Don --- you might state your general location and
> maybe a club will be in your area were you can get
> some help.

----------------------------------------------------

Steve sez: disregard the need for FI. I have been
driving Corvairs since 1961 and my cars have always
started even in -30 degrees up to over 100 degrees.

I have over 600,000 miles on my spyder and the body
is what needs attention NOT the engine with that
dreaded YH.

To vairman: Don stated above he is in Mich and I gave
him contact info for Ken Hand. Hopefully Don will see
this and state if he has visited with Ken. If not then
you need to make friends with your local source of
parts and info before you dive into your car.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:02AM

If you are going to make your Corvair into the newest technology then just go ahead and buy a 2018 car and get the best. I enjoy making the old stuff work and can do it quite well. You can re engineer the whole car to the new stuff but that defeats the purpose and erases the challenge. I get a greate sense of accomplishment when my Rampside starts up cold with a choke and the gas heater fires off and warms my feet.

Date: March 02, 2018 07:00AM

I totally agree! At least with the statement about enjoying the old stuff. As far as driving the car when it is cold enough to need heat, that's another story. I spent 30 years working in the cold here in Michigan Winters, and I enjoy staying in the barn when it is too cold.

Date: March 02, 2018 07:12AM

I did see the info on Ken Hand. Thank you. I will definitely be in touch with him.I am now looking at a more serious problem than the carbs. I discovered a rust issue on the unibody. It will probably be some one like Ken that will solve the problem. I may be swapping all of my parts to another body.
By the way, I am in Portland Michigan. I have not used proper computer etiquette or posted pictures because I am not adept with technology. I will get it though.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.