Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
O/T Gus Wilson's Model Garage
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:03AM

As a kid in the 60s I had a pile of old Popular Science magazines out at the lake. I especially enjoyed the fictional accounts of Gus Wilson at the Model Garage figuring out automotive problems. The magazines I had were probably late 50s and early 60s but a search revealed that the column ran from like 1925-1970. He usually lit his pipe and grew pensive as he mulled it over. Anyone else remember those articles from days of yore?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O/T Gus Wilson's Model Garage
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:13AM

I remember the articles but I thought it was Popular Mechanics magazine, mostly because I read that every month but the 'science' didn't hold the same interest for me. Popular Mechanics was also home to Tom McCahill road tester genius.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:01AM

Popular Science. A publication that has been going since the 1800s!

Martin Bunn wrote the articles. I always wondered if the "same" Martin Bunn wrote all of then as they spanned from 1925 to 1970, 45 years of writing, a long career.

I have read most everyone of them! At UVa, Alderman Library had bound volumes of Popular Science, from issue #1.eye popping smiley

I was there in the early 70s, and checked them out to read every Gus Wilson's adventure. It started my troubleshooting knowledge of automotive things. thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 24, 2018 09:31AM

I read both of them for many many years, always great info. One part the that always got me dreaming was the adds in last few pages, especially the Bensen Gyrocopter. Eventually I got one.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Attachments:
Date: February 24, 2018 09:33AM

Also the King Midget, never knew anyone who owned one
but they advertised the dickens out of them.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2018 10:11AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also the King Midget, never knew anyone who owned
> one
> but they advertised the dickens out of them.

I would love to have a registered King Midget!
It would be a Perfect 3-season car for where I live.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2018 10:26AM

HO BOY!
Was just checking out ole Gus Wilson.
Ha Ha Ha!
You sure couldn't say these things today!
Even if they might be true.eye rolling smiley

" "Most women, of course, aren't so strong as men. Learning how to drive a car is hard on both the muscles and the nerves, especially the nerves; and a woman, being kind of high strung, gets to the point of nervous exhaustion pretty quick. Accidents happen when drivers get tired, so you want to watch out that you don't keep at it too long, at first.

"Here's another point. A woman driver mustn't expect that just because she's a woman, men drivers are going to give her the right of way on all occasions.

"Most men give a woman the right of way when they meet her on foot, but they're not so polite when they're driving a car. The rules of the road apply to all drivers whether they wear pants or skirts, and the woman who doesn't realize that is likely to find herself in a smash up."

"Most women don't want to know anything about what goes on underneath the hood or the floor boards, but you ought at least to learn how to change a tire without help. And you should know enough about the oiling system to tell whether the motor needs oil or not. Also, you ought to know how to read the gasoline gage and the radiator thermometer."

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 10:28AM by American Mel.

Date: February 24, 2018 10:59AM

Find 'em online using books.google.com
Use "Popular Science" + "Model Garage" for the search terms and you'll be set for months of online reading....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: February 24, 2018 11:41AM

I remember McCahill from Mechanix Illistrated, must have been in Popular Mechanix earlier? Anyway, M.I. was my favorite because of Mimi and her bib over"shorts"!

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: February 24, 2018 12:10PM

That is what I like about this Forum! We always come up with neat memories. grinning smiley

Going way back, I remember my earliest Christmas Gift to my father was a years subscription to Popular Science! I was probably 3 or so (70 years ago)!

Dad new that by the time he got home on a day that the latest issue had arrived I would have gone through it a least twice (I think I actually learned to read a little going through them).

When I was 5 I read pretty well and Gus Wilson and the Model Garage was the first thing I went to each month! I learned a great deal about autos and life! grinning smileygrinning smiley

I think I have read almost all of the Gus Wilson stories. In case you are interested, "Martin Bunn" was 'pen-name' used by a variety of authors through the years. That is how 'Gus' and 'Stan' kept up with the latest technology as the years passed.

I remember reading the last story and was very sad that this gem was going away! sad smiley

The publishers of Popular Science put out a collection of Gus Wilson stories in the 1970's. My mother got me a copy of that and I have it here buried in my 'ton of books' somewhere!!!

Thanks for the memories! smileys with beer

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: February 24, 2018 12:16PM

scottymac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember McCahill from Mechanix Illistrated,
> must have been in Popular Mechanix earlier?
> Anyway, M.I. was my favorite because of Mimi and
> her bib over"shorts"!

Steve sez: Yep Mechanix Illustrated, got all of the titles
screwed around. Mostly because I hadn't thought about any
of this for years. Thank you Jim B for bringing good
memories back.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: February 24, 2018 04:54PM

In the'50s my uncle was a radio and TV repairman and he passed on his Mechanics Illustrated magazines to me. As a pre-teen I loved the Gus Wilson column and looked forward to every issue. I thought the art work for the auto repair tips was great. Thanks for reminding me about them Jim.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: February 25, 2018 04:20AM

Here is a link to just about every "Gus Wilson" story ever wrote, from 1925 to 1970.

Fascinating reading.

Many of the troubleshooting techniques I still use today were learned from these articles.

[www.gus-stories.org]

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: February 25, 2018 05:15AM

You guys certainly know how to get someone to waste time. I remember these from when I was a teen. The sense of logically attacking a problem seems to have become a lost art. "No codes? must be nothing wrong" even when it won't start. (Response at the dealers shop for both my wife's and brother's car troubles.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: February 25, 2018 05:22AM

I'm slowly going thru the stories, 3 or 4 at one setting. anymore than that and I stop appreciating 'em.

In these articles I can almost hear my Father and Grandfather patiently explaining to me how and why a car does what it does.

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: February 25, 2018 06:12AM

Just skimmed through the 1950 Car Guide. Got to love the ingenuity and "make do" shown. Of particular interest to Corvair owners is the "make emergency repairs to your fuel pump with cellophane wrapper from you coffee cake box".
Also loved the window screens for you vent windows to keep the bugs out.
Thanks to Jim for starting this thread and helping me to bring back great memories and waste more time.winking smiley

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.