Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
65 Corvair distributor orientation
Posted by: scottyd ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:50PM

Hello. I have a 65 Monza with a 4 spd. Motor was replaced with a 95 PG. I am no mechanic, but can do a few things. I have had distributor out and am concerned that I do not have it in correctly. Engine starts and runs,but not great. When I set the timing the vacuum advance points to about 5 oclock. The pictures I have seen online show most of the pointing to the 3 oclock position. It seems I may be off a few teeth on the dist. Is that possible and it still run? Thanks for any help and if not enough info, let me know. Scott.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 Corvair distributor orientation
Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: February 22, 2018 03:01PM

If you can rotate the distributor enough to set the timing correctly, then your problem may be that your distributor is not the correct one for the engine. Are you using the 4 spd distributor in the 95 PG setup or did that engine come with the correct distributor?

James
Maple Ridge, BC

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for haulin cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Date: February 22, 2018 03:10PM

The distributor was in the engine when I bought the car. So I am just assuming that it is the correct one for the 95 PG. My car is a 4 spd though. Thanks.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 22, 2018 03:50PM

Dist numbers are listed in FAQ here. 95/pg typically is 1110311 and 95/manual is typically 1110310.

Depending upon what the original eng pulled from the car it have correct dist in it. Or if a 110hp 1110319. GM made it fun matching every eng/trans/accessory pkg with its' own distributor.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 22, 2018 04:24PM

Dist. doesn't care about TEETH... it can go anywhere..BUT you only have so much range of adjustment due to things near it..

Sounds to me like you are setup correctly... 3 0'clock puts it nearer the head sheetmetal.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 23, 2018 08:58AM

There are chisel marks on the distributor and rear housing that should closely align when everything is in time.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 23, 2018 09:02AM

Here are the marks on my engine.

Attachments:
Date: February 23, 2018 04:52PM

Thanks guys. irfgt, I have those marks also, but is far from lining up. Maybe I put the distributor in wrong. Guess I will try it again. Also, should I set the timing for a 95 PG or 95 4 spd, since the 4 spd is what it has now, but the motor came in PG car. Thanks all again for your help.

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: February 23, 2018 07:57PM

Scott, what is the distributor part number? That will help determine the best static timing.

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:31AM

To change distributor orientation you may need to move the oil pump slot with a long screwdriver. I like to rotate the engine so #1 timing mark is at the index. You need to verify that it's #1 firing point and not #2. It should be easy for you since the engine runs. I like to orient the distributor so that the "plate" that covers the vacuum advance is parallel with the rear of the car.

The distributor # is on the body of the distributor clockwise from the vacuum advance and counter-clockwise of the notch where the wire to the coil passes through. Distributors can vary on their installed timing, some are 6 degrees and some are about 14 degrees.

The coil fires when the points open and you can roughly check timing with the engine shut off by looking at the points or attaching a 12v test light to the coil - terminal.

I hope this helps, it's easier for me to do than describe.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 24, 2018 09:39AM

scottyd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello. I have a 65 Monza with a 4 spd. Motor was
> replaced with a 95 PG. I am no mechanic, but can
> do a few things. I have had distributor out and am
> concerned that I do not have it in correctly.
> Engine starts and runs,but not great. When I set
> the timing the vacuum advance points to about 5
> oclock. The pictures I have seen online show most
> of the pointing to the 3 oclock position. It
> seems I may be off a few teeth on the dist. Is
> that possible and it still run? Thanks for any
> help and if not enough info, let me know. Scott.

I don't see the problem. If you can turn the distributor enough to set the timing, then you've done all you can do with that distributor. If the engine doesn't run well, look elsewhere, for example, is the point gap set correctly? If not, reset the points and then rest the timing. Is the vacuum advance actually working? Where is the vacuum line attached to the engine? Is the coil good? Simple test: turn the engine so the points are closed, pull the coil wire out of the distributor and lay it next to a metal (grounded) part of the engine so the electrode is close to the metal part, but not touching it - less than about 0.050" away - turn on the ignition and open the points with a screwdriver. Note the color of the spark that jumps from the coil wire to ground: blue/white - good; yellow - not good; no spark - move the electrode closer to the metal part and try again.

Date: February 24, 2018 09:55AM

Thanks again everyone. The distributor # is 1110319. No points, installed
pertronix.Thanks

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 24, 2018 12:42PM

It seems about every month or so someone writes a post about weird problems. Then it turns out they are running a pertronix and that is the source of the problems. Granted some guys run these for many years and never have an issue, but sometimes these fail in strange ways. I think the best thing you could do right now is go back to points and see if that sorts its out. Then go on from there.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:03PM

Even though I'm one of those with only good experiences with the Ignitors, I agree with jjohnsonjo on going back at least as a test.
But before I would do that on one of my own, I would also verify that you have 12v going to the Red distributor wire, and that the gap is set correctly on the trigger mechanism.

Then while you're at it (how often does that get said around here!) you can make sure that the advance mechanisms are working properly with your timing light as you rev up the engine to watch what the marks do.
At that time too you can put the timing light's pickup on each of the six plug wires to make sure that you're seeing an even spark passing through every wire. Note any inconsistencies in the flashes.

Might as well make sure the settings are optimized before throwing new parts (and possibly new problems) at it.

Good luck!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.