Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
4.3 marine engine question
Posted by: dodgeboy69 ()
Date: February 20, 2018 02:23PM

I found a boat with a new 4.3 engine in it. I would like to put a 4.3 in my Corvair in the original engine location (reverse rotation). I can not turn over the engine in the boat due to a bad starter and the crank bolt is not accessible. What would the chances be of that engine being a reverse rotation? It is a Vortec with a Holley four barrel. If it is a standard rotation, how hard is it to get a reverse rotation cam and timing gears for a Vortec with a balance shaft? The boat is most likely an 80's model. I can buy the boat and trailer real cheap.

Thanks,

Don

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4.3 marine engine question
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 20, 2018 02:34PM

If the motor was original equipment in the boat, you will likely need to replace the cam for automotive purposes anyway as it probably would not have the lift and duration needed for an automotive application.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 20, 2018 02:35PM

Usually only the twin engines have the reverse engine on one side iirc..

Vortec can be done...but is complex compared to an earlier..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: February 20, 2018 03:20PM

Don, check the Corvair Center post on 1-31-2018. "Help with a v-6 conversion" by Bailey8596. Jim

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 20, 2018 03:23PM

Pull the bad starter...maybe you can figure out what direction it spins.

Posted by: blue hen ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:00PM

1. pull the plug
2. put boat in water.
3. Blame wife.

Posted by: dodgeboy69 ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:06PM

Thanks for the info. I may just stay with Corvair engine. I have a 140 in pieces and a Racer Brown cam. I forgot about reversing the pistons for a V6. The 140 may be the route I will go.

Thanks for all the responses,

Don

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:23PM

Don't know where yo are, but around folks forget to or get distracted on don't winterize their boat motors. It makes for cheap boats.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:43PM

[www.ebay.com]

Here's reverse rotation ready to go. This one would be ok.

A problem with putting an engine from a boat into a car is the cooling system. A boat pulls water from the lake and pumps it through the engine and into the exhaust back out to the lake. The engine is steel and rusts inside the water jacket, not a problem for the boat it just spits everything out through the exhaust but put the motor into a car with a radiator and that rust plugs the radiator. Marine engines will have some adaptations like brass freeze plugs, stainless hardware and head gaskets but the water jacket will get you.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 04:46PM by moomba32.

Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: February 20, 2018 05:45PM

Single engine boat is most likely a regular rotation engine as Matt said.
If the engine is a 4.3 with balance shaft a reverse cam is not available.
You can use fuel injected Vortec heads and intake on non-balance shaft block.
A picture is in my signature.

A reversed cam is readily available for non-balance shaft engine.
The front and rear seals are directional, they are available.
Don't forget to rotate the pistons.
The starters are directional, reversed are available.
Water pumps are directional, reversed are available.
Pressure plates are directional.

John

1962 Rampside, 4.3 Vortec powered.
The thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Sparta Michigan.

Date: February 20, 2018 07:13PM

You don't even need to wire up the starter. Starters have overrunning clutches in their drive gears, so the gear should turn freely in one direction and not in the other. You will know which way the starter - and therefore the engine - turns by knowing which way the overrunning clutch engages.

Posted by: zypheracer ()
Date: February 20, 2018 07:37PM

All Inboard Outboards are std rotation. There are very few 4.3 used for inboard applications.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2018 07:55PM

You could look at the prop to see the direction of rotation. With some of the inboard ski boat manufactures they run their engines reversed even with just one engine.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 21, 2018 02:01AM

Correct Craft is the only inboard to use a reverse direction prop and I think the rotation change is from a different transmission, not the engine. Their reason is that they claim the opposite rotation of the prop causes the boat to ride more level in the water when there is only the driver in the boat thus giving a better wake characteristic for the skier. If you've ever driven an inboard they do not steer in reverse, when you back the boat the prop rotation pulls the stern to the starboard, but not the Nautique, it pulls to the port side.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 23, 2018 07:24AM

Don,

You can buy a complete rebuilt long block from Summit for a responsible price - If you are serious about going with a 4.3 reverse setup.
The rebuilt engine also comes with a warranty and should last you a long time and be well worth the effort to do the conversion - compared to using a used engine, with too many unknowns.
I think you can still special order (pay in advance) to get the adapter made by Kennedy Engineering.

Good luck,

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.