Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: NEWS FLASH: Subaru transaxle
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:20AM

The adapter plate is used BOTH ways...

Very common to put Subie AWD in VW Vanagons/ Synchros and leave the VW engine.

Much cheaper that rebuilding VW parts..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: February 22, 2018 01:04PM

We need a photo of the Subaru flywheel and starter configuration. Would seem natural to use the Subaru parts to mate to the transmission input. How to use them on a Corvair engine is the problem to work out I think.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 22, 2018 08:51PM

Who, in their right mind, would be adapting a VW motor into Subaru? That is why the adapter needs to go the other way. If it were as simple as stacking adapters, Kennedy EP would have said "Sure, we do that!" because they make both! Like other "watching parties" I hope someone works it out. If you want to produce an "Emulator" you want to produce an emulator that makes the Subaru transaxle emulate the VW transaxle. Then anything that adapts a motor to a VW would work with it.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 23, 2018 05:23AM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who, in their right mind, would be adapting a VW
> motor into Subaru? That is why the adapter needs
> to go the other way. If it were as simple as
> stacking adapters, Kennedy EP would have said
> "Sure, we do that!" because they make both! Like
> other "watching parties" I hope someone works it
> out. If you want to produce an "Emulator" you want
> to produce an emulator that makes the Subaru
> transaxle emulate the VW transaxle. Then anything
> that adapts a motor to a VW would work with it.

Seth not the VW engine into a Subaru but the Subaru trans into VW bus or dune buggy chassis. I know some air cooled VW guys that would never use the Subaru engine and make more power with the air cooled engines than Subaru guys do with the Subaru engines.

Lee J

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 23, 2018 06:08AM

After Building the Jerico/C5 transaxle and all the suspension mods and shifter, then taking on building the 64 Racer with a racing Corvair motor,ill let someone else jump into the Suburu transaxle. Alot of time,money and work. Makes me appreciate my 64 110 monza for what it is smiling smiley Mike

Date: February 23, 2018 09:19AM

With the subaru you need an adapter, you need to remove the AWD - etc. Corvair motors don't make enough power that it will have a significant impact as to which way the trans is running. Manufacturing has come so far since the 60's its not an issue..

the easy / cheap solution is a boxster 5spd.. Already a cable shifted tranny, 1000's out there..etc.. Lots of guys with turbo's on the 2.5 motor making 300HP at the wheels without issue.. so running it backwards with maybe 150hp isn't going to do much.

Date: February 23, 2018 10:48AM

Jonathan McCreery Wrote:
> With the subaru you need an adapter, you need to
> remove the AWD - etc. Corvair motors don't make
> enough power that it will have a significant
> impact as to which way the trans is running.
> Manufacturing has come so far since the 60's its
> not an issue..
>
> the easy / cheap solution is a boxster 5spd..
> Already a cable shifted tranny, 1000's out
> there..etc.. Lots of guys with turbo's on the 2.5
> motor making 300HP at the wheels without issue..
> so running it backwards with maybe 150hp isn't
> going to do much.

Jonathan
Didn't Porsche keep the same bell housing pattern as the old air cooled VW/Porsche engines? If so, the Porsche would bolt right to the old Crown style Corvair engine/VW trans adapter plate.

Lee J

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 23, 2018 11:15AM

Yes!!!

Attachments:
Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: February 23, 2018 11:41AM

gnvair asks: "Didn't Porsche keep the same bell housing pattern as the old air cooled VW/Porsche engines?"

Phil says: "YES!!!" but that answer is not correct for the Boxster bellhousing pattern. It is totally different, see below.

Attachments:
Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: February 23, 2018 11:45AM

The Boxster 5 speed was also used in the Audi A4 and VW Passat. That's why there it has a dual pattern bolt pattern. There are slight variations between the different applications, but the basic trans (which is known as the 012) is the same.

It did come with many different gear ratios, and some of them were not imported to the US.

If you buy a transaxle from a Boxster it will be over 2x the price of one from a Passat, at least in my part of the country. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 11:47AM by martyscarr.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 23, 2018 12:09PM

The question was about the early Porsche transaxle not the Boxster.

FYI: Weddle makes an O/D ratio 4th gear for type 1, 2, 091, and 094 VW's.

All of the alternate transaxle talk might be mute because of this fact.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 24, 2018 06:54AM

This is OLD NEWS!! For the Subaru 5 and 6 speed ONLY.

Thanks to http://www.subarugears.com/ you can reverse the ring gear and block off the output for driveshaft that goes to the rear end.

MATT, Notice how I also posted a link (to make it convenient for others) and not merely talk about it. GRIN

Unlike this:

MattNall Wrote:
> They do have reversed R&P's for 6 speeds... see
> websites
>
> That's what I'm talking about 5 speed for a
> normal Corvair..."the average user"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 07:00AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:41AM

I just finished reading all the post.

I agree with whoever said that one needs to have the parts in hand to do measurements - to know for sure what issues - if any need to be addressed.

With the above said - ONLY IF the bell housing and adapter combo does cause an issue with the main shaft location of the trans to the crank. One could make an offset flywheel with a bolt on spacer to center the spacer on the crank and then center and support the main shaft. It has been done with other adapter kits. As long asa there is enough space to fully operate the clutch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 07:43AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 25, 2018 09:54PM

cfmann Wrote:
> what are the gearing specs on a subie 5 speed
> compared to corvairs 4?
============================================

[www.subarugears.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: Using a Subaru transaxle in our vehicles with stock engines?
Date: February 26, 2018 04:32AM

Get wrenching Matt!

Lee J

Re: Using a Subaru transaxle in our vehicles with stock engines?
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 26, 2018 04:58AM

I fell in love with the Porsche 914 transaxle when I easily lifted one off the floor. I would be concerned with the Subaru length and weight, it would seem to have some AWD mass that isn't doing anything in our application.

With a roadracing Corvair, it's the weight loss I'm after as we can't usually pull more than 1/1 with our aerodynamics anyway, at least not to the point that we can't solve it by going from 3.55 to 3.27 for long tracks. Perhaps this paragraph is for Fastvairs forum.

Of course with a street Corvair we would be after the overdrive to reduce RPMs on the highway.

I would be concerned with the low axle placement. Even Corvair differentials place the driveshafts at an unacceptable angle when lowering the chassis with shorter springs. I have raised the powertrain a tad in the chassis but that practice sort of goes against my center of gravity instincts, also hood clearance for the intake concerns with a 6-tube 4 barrel. You have to somehow draw a parallel line from the differential outlet to the wheel center and settle the chassis around it.

I have a buddy with a Mazda RX7 GT3 racecar. When he tried running a driveshaft with a CV joint on one end and a universal joint on the other end he said it just didn't work, it was like they were fighting each other. I'd be interested in some discussion on that, it could be he was wrong.

I don't want to be of the tribe that says "nay" and I will be watching for further developments. The possibilities are interesting, there's a lot of performance Subaru stuff around these days.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.