Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Another project for my retirement years, 65 Monza Vert, 110 4-speed.
Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:40AM

Wow, nice buy, getting hard to find in that condition....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 26, 2018 09:12AM

Changed the pushrod tube O-rings on Sunday to slow down the oil leaks. Looks like it needs a couple of oil cooler seals too.

The valve clatter is completely gone now. I also put on a muffler from a parts car to replace the roaring performance muffler it had.

I had good driving performance last week but not on my Saturday test drive. Looking deeper, I found a chunk of hard rubber rolling around under the distributor points plate jamming the advance weights sometimes.

I put on my "hot adjust" valve covers in case I needed to do another tweak of the valves but they are okay so far with the cold set procedure. The long flex hose it great for getting the muffler noise and exhaust fumes away from my work area. Also helpful for gassing gophers in the yard.

I noticed yesterday it has a Posi diff. Nice score. I haven't checked to see if it is a 3:27 or a 3:55 yet.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Attachments:

Date: March 02, 2018 07:44AM

I got the oil cooler out to replace the rock hard seals. Externally it was not that dirty. To flush the inside passages, I connected it to my parts washer pump hose and let the solvent flow for over an hour while I went and dropped the oil pan to clean and reseal that too.

After an hour, the oil cooler seemed well flushed but I decided to fill up the inside with some of my favorite water-based degreaser, Oil Eater. I let it sit for 15 minutes and was shocked at how black and filthy the Oil Eater had become when I poured it out. It took several more longer sessions of flushing to get it to the point that I felt that going further was just wasting cleaner and gaining little. I'm still amazed how much stuff coated the internal passages.

The oil pan drop revealed the typical goop in the pan bottom. No bits of engine parts or anything scary discovered.

The oil cooler went back in place with fresh Viton seals of course. I banged out the oil pan dents and installed it with a fresh gasket. A 15-minute start and run confirmed the oil cooler leak is now fixed. The lifters sat all week but did not make a peep since I did the cold adjustments so the regular valve covers are going on tonight.

I'm anxious to get her out of the neighborhood and see no reason not to put some new rubber on the classic rally rims. The tires on it now look okay but are 14 years old and very flat-spotted. I think the 14" rims are originally from a 67 Camaro maybe? I found some new raised white letter tires (P235/60R14) so by Monday night I should be ready to take it out on a longer drive test and then to the club meeting on Wednesday.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: Zodi Davis ()
Date: March 02, 2018 08:13AM

Another great find Dave!! You seem to have that "hound dog" nose for sniffing out nice cars. Kudo's have fun!!
Greg

Greg/Zodi Davis
Sierra Vista, AZ.
65" Monza convertible
65"Corsa turbo coupe
66" Corsa coupe 140
66" Monza 140
65"Corsa convertible
62" Rampside
64" corvan
64"Greenbriar deluxe

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 02, 2018 08:28AM

Excellent choice on the wheels! thumbs upthumbs up

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: March 02, 2018 08:56AM

Zodi Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another great find Dave!! You seem to have that
> "hound dog" nose for sniffing out nice cars.
> Kudo's have fun!!
> Greg

No hound dog needed for this one. It came up on PHX Craig's List where all could see it (still listed for some reason). I happened to have the next day off from work so I was there at first daylight with a empty trailer and cash in hand just in case it was a good deal.

American Mel Wrote:
> Excellent choice on the wheels!

The owner before me choose the rims but I approve. I thought I would have trouble finding appropriate 14" rubber but it worked out. The original 13" steel rims came with this car and that worked out great because I had just donated a full set to the Cutaway Corvair project and that left my 66 Corsa running on on may-pops. smiling smiley

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Date: March 06, 2018 08:54AM

I picked up new tires last night on the way home from work. I found a set of Cooper P235/60R14 with raised white letters that will look nice on any of my late models. Way more "tire" than this car needs but it looks very period correct for a Corvair in the 70's-80's.

While the car was up on the lift I checked the gear ratio on the posi diff and 3.27 revolutions of the engine = one revolution on the tire. I'm happy it was a 3.27 and not a 3.55.

I also fixed the fuel gauge last night. The needle was showing way past full, which is usually a sign of a sender that is disconnected or a pot wiper rotted away inside the tank. It was not the external wire. I ended up draining the tank and finding a sender that had no wiper parts at all so it always read infinite Ohms. I installed a used sender from a parts car and the needle in the dash started talking to me again.

With the new tires mounted and fuel back in the tank, Cathy and I went for a short test drive to Costco. It was about a 5-mile round trip and all good so far. I was reminded how a convertible body wiggles compared to a hardtop. The speedometer was working at first but then signed off. The odometer was still recording mileage so the cable is not the problem.

I'll try a longer trip today on the freeway and check temps and such while under load for a longer period of time. It is supposed to be near 80 today so a good time to test since the top is shot.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 06, 2018 09:06AM

You are on a roll!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 05:13PM

Well if you get board with it let me know, that type of corvair is right up my alley. I love the light patina, then making it all legit in the mechanical department. I fear this is the last season for my ole gal. She is making many strange noises around corners.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: March 07, 2018 07:15AM

DAVECS1 Wrote:
> Well if you get board with it let me know, that type of corvair is right up my alley.

I've had several offers to buy but probably will be hanging on to it for awhile. Even in Arizona, it's rare to find a LM vert with such a solid chassis and mostly original parts.

Freeway run was no issue last night. Some evening traffic so I could not run 65 MPH for very long at one time but it did great. Plenty of dust flying around when I got it up to speed. I sure notice when a LM doesn't have a front air dam. The speedometer was reading almost 15 MPH low so some work to do there. I can live with 5 up or down but not 15.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Posted by: Don1963 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 08:05AM

Those western cars sure are pretty underneath!

66 Corsa 110 4spd 3.55 posi

Date: March 16, 2018 08:59AM

Don1963 Wrote:
> Those western cars sure are pretty underneath!

The older I get, the less I'll put up with rust. I'm willing to wait for a good one and jump on it when one comes along. grinning smiley

Drove it to work today (top up). It was a little chilly with all the ripped holes in the top and the back window missing but I had as much fun as one can have considering it was a drive to work.

It will be 75 and sunny going home so top is already down for the return trip.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: March 16, 2018 09:16AM

She's is a bute! thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: 1960es ()
Date: March 16, 2018 09:44AM

Absolutely love it!!!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 16, 2018 10:37AM

Tom is correct, she is a Beaut!
And those rallye wheels are the best style for a Vair, in my ever so humble(ahemm eye rolling smiley) opinion.
No bias here on my part at all, I can assure you!spinning smiley sticking its tongue outgrinning smileytongue sticking out smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2018 10:38AM by American Mel.

Attachments:
Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 06:12PM

Man that car is a score and your making it killer! Really like what you have done!

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: May 01, 2018 07:16AM

Update; It's been a busy few months with little time for Corvair work to say the least but I still want to get a top on this car so I can have some shade when I drive it in the summer. Believe it or not, it does sometimes rain in Phoenix too.

Prep work had been significant for a new top. I've taken several hundred pics as the remnants were removed to document the measurements and process. I've read at least 3 how-to books about the install before I even began. Most of the old fiber tacking strips and trim strip inserts were crumpled or failed long ago from age and water ingress and would not hold new staples. Digging out all of the rusty tacks and failed material and then replacing it with new rubber staple material has taken a very long time but it will be worth doing right. The rear trim sticks were the most time consuming to clean out and reload but probably the most critical staple strips of the job. I found heavy surface rust under the well cover and back seat area but no holes or detectable metal weakness. It all got a heavy dose of wire wheel cleaning before painting.

I can't imaging if I took this to a top shop that they would do anything but the bare minimum to get a new top in place unless I paid them quite a bit extra. I didn't care for the light color of the top frame and since the new top is black on the inside, so is the frame color now. It was all sanded down and painted semi-gloss black.

As for the tack (staple) strips, I have only the front header tack strip to complete and then maybe this weekend I'll begin installing the new side pads and the rear window. I won't be doing a step-by-step but I'll report progress along the way, good or bad. smiling smiley

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: schuls1 ()
Date: May 01, 2018 07:45AM

It's lookin great Dave!

Stan,
SW Missouri

Date: May 03, 2018 03:10PM

I made a little more progress last night before the club meeting. Here's a few shots of the header tack strip and the end of one of the three rear trim sticks. The first and second photo are of the bare top frame folded into the well so you are seeing the bottom of the front header in those photos.

I could not find anyone (including Clarks) that sells the exact size plastic replacement staple strips for the LM Corvair. All vendors suggested making the best of what was available by layering and trimming the 2-3 sizes that were more common to other cars around.

Being worried about staples not holding or tack strips popping out of their guides after the top was done I opted to spend some time making my own to the exact profile and thickness required. I ended up bonding additional vinyl strips to build up the parts as needed. Time consuming but it should be good for multiple top replacement jobs now if needed. That HH-66 vinyl cement is just the ticket for bonding the materials together.

I also could not replicate the method used to hold these strips in place. Some were stapled through thin metal just like a very powerful desk stapler. Some were spot welded staples where a through punch would not be desired. The three rear trim sticks had the original cardboard strips crimped into the channel along the entire length on both sides. Nearly impossible to duplicate and not available as an aftermarket solution except in a very generic form. I glued the vinyl strips in place but also used small sheet metal screws to retain them where I could. Some of those screws can be seen in the photos in the post before this one. The header strip was the easiest as the many small metal retainer tabs were not too fragile and I was able to bend them up, slip under the tack strip and then bend them back down.

In the close up photos you can see how I layered 2-3 pieces to get the width and thickness to replicate the header bow tack strip and the rear trim stick inserts. This will allow me to fully seat the stainless staples at the same depth as it was before the original paperboard strips failed.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 03, 2018 03:29PM

AHH details! Great Work!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.