Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Another project for my retirement years, 65 Monza Vert, 110 4-speed.
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 19, 2018 06:55AM

Picked up a nice project vert last Friday. Looks like a legit LA built and Arizona raised 110, 4 speed Monza. Starts, runs and drives but I trailered it home to be safe.

VIN, hidden VIN and body tag are all in agreement. Engine code and alternator code also properly several weeks ahead of the build date.

Nothing special except a very solid Cypress Green Monza vert that few people owned or drove much in the last 53 years. Options on the tag show tinted windshield, rear antenna and 4-speed. The lower door hinge area and rocker sills look quite solid and have not been repaired or indicate any rot.

Needs a restoration for sure though if you don't like barn-find patina. The original brittle top has many holes and the body has very dull paint. There has been some water under the back seat area but no holes rusted through and the seats will be good to use when recovered. All cocktail shakers are still in place. Other than the lifters ticking, it starts and runs easily with no smoke other than oil residue burning off the exhaust as it warmed up. No signs that the engine has been out or repaired other than external seals like oil pan and pushrod tube seals. All lights and electrical stuff work except for the fuel gauge and that was changed a few years ago. It started and ran on the 4-year old fuel in the tank but I drained it when I got it home and put in some fresh premium. The fuel pump leaked at first but the top screws were loose so an easy fix so far. I've ran it twice in two 15-minute sessions to get it warm and watch for any issues. It still has some lifters ticking but after 15 minutes the oil pressure was 35 PSI at low idle.

Odometer shows 83,000 miles which I believe is legit. The speedometer and odometer still work and the title showed "Box A" miles.

It came with some nice 14" Rally rims and the stock Corvair rims too. The tires are from 2004 so those won't be going far.

While cleaning out the leaves and debris yesterday I found a NIB NOS backup light switch and a few tuneup parts. I examined the brakes and someone had worked on them not too long ago. The master cylinder was newer and not a single wheel cylinders was leaking. The bleed screws were easily loosened and I did a full flush with new fluid and the brake pedal is firm.

The car had a basic respray many years ago but they stayed with Cypress Green.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another project for my retirement years, 65 Monza Vert, 110 4-speed.
Posted by: geezer43 ()
Date: February 19, 2018 07:32AM

Nice car, you scored on that one. Knowing you, the price was good too. Augustinos's on Country Club in Mesa can fit a new top for you if you don't want to do it. He did mine, still excellent after three years.

Jim Johnson, Chandler, AZ

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 19, 2018 07:32AM

Dave

That right there is a real nice find.

Best Wishes

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: schuls1 ()
Date: February 19, 2018 07:49AM

Dave,

👍

One of those finds,...that's gettin hard to find,..for sure!....

Stan,
SW Missouri

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: February 19, 2018 07:49AM

Perfect retirement project. Nice.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 19, 2018 08:05AM

Score!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 19, 2018 08:06AM

Sweet 'Vert, Dave!
Nice to find an original in decent shape, for sure.
Looks like a Fawn interior, eh? Is the top frame tan inside?
Let's have a look at the Fisher Body ID plate, please.
I'm wondering how close it is to mine, built 05C body 1054.

Cheers!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 19, 2018 09:15AM

Nice find Dave - At least once in a persons life they should own a convertible.

Cocktail shakers in place, rear seat frame not rusted out - score!!!

110HP and four speed, great cruiser. Enjoy.

Date: February 19, 2018 12:20PM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like a Fawn interior, eh? Is the top frame
> tan inside?
> Let's have a look at the Fisher Body ID plate,
> please.
> I'm wondering how close it is to mine, built 05C
> body 1054.

Here are the pics I had on my phone of the tags. The top frame is not black but I don't have a good photo handy.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: February 19, 2018 12:55PM

Great find!! enjoy

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: February 19, 2018 02:34PM

Great looking car...with good bones.

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: February 19, 2018 04:07PM

I like it! I would put a top on it and drive it as-is! Great color combo too.

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Date: February 19, 2018 05:55PM

I found my first little anomaly tonight. There was a clear piece of hose on the vacuum advance and because the plastic was see-through, I could clearly see a nipple on the vacuum hose connector indicating a turbo pressure retard unit. Sure enough, it is marked "250" on the arm and it holds pressure too. I'll be swapping that out with an advance canister before I go for test drive later in the week. The distributor body looks to be correct, just the VA was wrong.

I ran the engine for 20 minutes again tonight and now I have just one noisy lifter clattering instead of 3 or 4 like yesterday. Maybe they will all be quiet by the time I get ready for the test drive.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: February 19, 2018 06:31PM

NICE FIND!
I don't know why, but I always check out the rear cove trim when a 'backside' shot is present. Seems those are the first to mangle from careless previous owners..thumbs up

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: February 20, 2018 06:36AM

A few belly shots. I didn't lift it all the way up due to high winds yesterday and the threat of rain.

I found a hole in the trunk bottom but it is less than the size of a penny. The floorboards are great and not all jacked up by mechanics who sometimes miss the proper lift points. Even the area behind the rear tire below the battery box is solid.

I'll pick up a new vacuum advance on the way home from work and hopefully do a few laps around the circle tonight to feel it out.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:

Date: February 21, 2018 09:18AM

Update:

Installed a new generic aftermarket vacuum advance, un-stuck the distributor weights and now I have good action on the spark advance function. After another session of idling in the driveway, the lifters are now quiet.

Hagerty's confirmed my insurance yesterday so I folded down what is left of the convertible top grinning smiley and went for a drive around the neighborhood. All went well except for a pull to the right when braking. I'll double check the adjustments and compare long/short shoe positions tonight. Otherwise, it was a good first drive with no scary sounds, smells or failures.

Photos below show interior color and top frame color for Dan who asked about it earlier. The back seat almost looks two-tone but I assume that is the vinyl aging differently over the years?

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: February 21, 2018 03:54PM

As I contemplate my next patch panel I am very jealous of the underside of that vert. You can probably stretch the “restoration” project over a whole winter if you go slow. Congrats.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: February 21, 2018 09:07PM

Hi Dave,

Nice find.

My '65 Corsa was equipped with off-white/lite fawn interior and displayed the similar two tone white seats colors as yours, with the center panel being whiter than the side panels.

Several years ago I posted the question of this two color lite fawn look and received several comments from both coupe and vert owners with similar lite fawn interiors and many had the same aged look. I thought this might be true of white interiors, as well, but a friend has a '64 Spyder coupe with original white vinyl interior was a consistent white color, assuming a similar sun aging history.

While replies to my post did not result in an answer, I did receive a comment from Clarks that may be a closer to the truth. Clarks replied that "possibly" the "factory thermo heat pleating process may have altered the vinyl and affected the color aging process" of the lite fawn vinyls. One might think that the lite fawn vinyl heat pleated would yellow rather than whiten.

All I have to do is wait another 30 years to see if the excellent quality lite fawn Clarks heat-pleated vinyl results in the same color change over the long term.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: February 21, 2018 09:38PM

saw the photos of the interior thought it was different too. with the aging/fading or heat changing. here are some shot of a fawn interior that sat in a grarage for 40 + years. Color looks pretty cream yet, but then it had been out of the sun. So hard to say. And it was a willow run car if that would matter.

Dan Central MN

1968 Convertible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 09:39PM by 63ConDan.

Attachments:

Date: February 22, 2018 05:16AM

Fawn interior color shift?
I won't lose sleep over it but it is interesting that I'm not the only one to notice the two-tone seat appearance in a 65. Thanks for the comments. We work with indoor and outdoor rigid and flexible vinyls here at work and some of them shift color when they age but never so uniformly as the seats in my photos. My best guess is that the vinyl that was to be heat-pressed was a slightly different formulation than the material that was used in the other sections. If it was a different formulation, I would expect to see non-uniform aging. It could also have simply been the variance between two different vinyl suppliers to GM.

I didn't get as much done last night. There were only a few drips of oil underneath the engine after the test run on Tuesday so that is better. The oil pan bolts were the only thing I snugged up. It does look like a few o-rings are not sealing so I'll get to those later.

Upon closer inspection of the front brakes, the driver's side shoes were installed wrong so hopefully that will explain the pull to the right. While greasing the wheel bearings I found a noisy outer wheel bearing so that's getting changed out tonight.

Everyone likes photos so here is the trunk. It is in good shape minus a pea-sized hole in one spot. Original trunk mat still in place. Jack and tire tool incorrect of course. MC is not original. The guy I got the car from had it about 4 years and I believe he brought it home, got the brakes working, flushed the old gas and got it running. He put less than 200 miles on it before it was parked under a carport once again. The fresh, clean oil I saw on the dipstick was from his work 4 years ago.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible

Attachments:
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.