Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Defroster diverter door
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 25, 2018 08:25AM

Vin - Glad it worked out.

Oh - for those with A/C cars - an extra dash support was added from the dash cutout at the controller (cables and switches) to the bulkhead. It's impossible to get the defroster "Y" duct our or in with that brace in place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 25, 2018 09:23AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vin - Glad it worked out.
>
> Oh - for those with A/C cars - an extra dash
> support was added from the dash cutout at the
> controller (cables and switches) to the bulkhead.
> It's impossible to get the defroster "Y" duct our
> or in with that brace in place.

So was the defroster "y" duct installed before the extra dash brace on an A/C car or is the brace a bolt in item? By the way, my 69 vert. has the cardboard pieces and is going to have A/C, but it's a early year build.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: February 25, 2018 10:18AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 66vairman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Vin - Glad it worked out.
> >
> > Oh - for those with A/C cars - an extra dash
> > support was added from the dash cutout at the
> > controller (cables and switches) to the
> bulkhead.
> > It's impossible to get the defroster "Y" duct
> our
> > or in with that brace in place.
>
> So was the defroster "y" duct installed before the
> extra dash brace on an A/C car or is the brace a
> bolt in item? By the way, my 69 vert. has the
> cardboard pieces and is going to have A/C, but
> it's a early year build.

wagonmaster - I should have been more detailed, but I hadn't had my morning coffee. YES the defroster duct was installed BEFORE the brace. YES the brace is a bolt in piece. It's a metal strap bent at each end. The end that goes into the bulkhead had a captive bolt. A nut goes on in the side in the windshield lower cowl so you have to remove the grille between the lower windshield frame and trunk lid (and it must be sealed to keep water out). The other end of the strap has a hole and you put a bolt and nut through it and the lower dash brace. NOTE: The A/C dash brace runs VERY close to the defroster duct. Error towards the drivers side regarding the bulkhead hole.

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: March 10, 2018 03:20AM

I thought I would post the end results. 66vairman I took your advice and didn't try using the staples through the old plastic. The small bolts, washers on both sides, and nyloc nut on the inside worked great. I installed them and with the mouse nest gone and the hardboard baffles in place I have good defroster air hitting my windshield! The only thing I would have done different is I wish I would have painted the inside end of the bolt and the nut with a little flat black paint. It isn't a big deal but when I am standing outside the car looking down at the lower windshield I can see the shiny nuts on the inside of the Y duct ends and it just looks a little out of place. Not enough for me to pull it all out again right now, but down the road on a future tinkering session I may. Oh, and if you see gray spots on the one end of my Y duct that is epoxy I used to fill in all the staple holes from the line worker who went crazy with the stapler to try to use the production hardboard piece he broke when installing it originally. Again, thanks for the tip and posting your pics!

Vin
Dayton, OH
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible (4 speed)

Date: March 10, 2018 07:44AM

Good job and it's nice to have a defroster that works.

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: March 10, 2018 08:57AM

Great info, my dash vent flaps, were toast as well after sun baked for 25 years. Made my own out of black artboard.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.