Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Defroster diverter door
Posted by: Vin ()
Date: February 18, 2018 06:55AM

On a 65, is there a cardboard piece or something else that attaches to the defrost diverter door? The door I am talking about is the piece that moves inside the housing under the dash when you push and pull the defrost lever. My door does not have a piece of cardboard but it has 3 staples through it and slight discoloration around the staples, leading me to believe something was attached to the door. I see from one vendor cardboard pieces are available for the ends up by the windshield but I see no mention of cardboard or anything for the diverter door. Thanks

Vin
Dayton, OH
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible (4 speed)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Defroster diverter door
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2018 08:14AM

Rubber sheet like the Side vents?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 18, 2018 08:50AM

Clarks sells a kit with a foam pad with an adheasive backing and some wire to emulate the staples for the diverter flap.

I bought this kit for my LM about three years ago with other parts for the heater system. Recently I finally got around to using the diveter flap seal and when I pulled the foam pad out of the bag it had turned to gooey MUSH!! I've seen this before with other foam products so I'm not blaming Clark's as I suspect they have them made up by another supplier. Basically they don't stand up and I put them into the trash. Better I didn't install them when they were new and have them disintegrate later. BTW - I've never seen a defrost diverter door with the original seal in place - they are all disintegrated.

Anyway -- the gap isn't that big so I just installed the diverter without the diverter flap foam seal. About the worst that happens is you get a little air to the defroster on heat and a little air to the floor on defrost - not a bad thing. I have the Hi-volume fan motor and good grounds and a relay for HI. So on HI it blows plenty of air either to defrost or the floor without the diverter flap seal.

Others may have found a better material for the diverter flap.

Date: February 18, 2018 01:17PM

Thank you for the info! I figured something had to go on the door otherwise there is no need for the staples. I see what you mean about there being only a small gap around the diverter door so not much gets past anyway. I will either leave it as is since the gap is small or I am going to replace the cardboard pieces at the top of the Y-shape duct and I am thinking about using a piece of the original cardboard at the Y top and cut it to size and attach it to the diverter door. If anyone has any pictures of a stock original flap for the diverter door a pic would be great. Thanks again!

Vin
Dayton, OH

Date: February 18, 2018 01:53PM

The hardboad that goes on the top of the ducts is sold by Clark's cut to fit.

If yours are missing you'll have to figure how they fit - not intuitive.

The hardboard helps keep the defrost air from bouncing back down the grill off the windshield and it also keeps light off the instrument cluster. Before I installed the hardboad my tach would light up from sunlight coming in through the dash grille. It looked like just the tach was lit up during the day.

Oh - don't bother trying to staple the new hardboard on the ducts - that plastic is old and brittle. Carefully remove the old staples and drill a hole though the hardboard and duct and installed a small screw with washers and stop nuts (plastic insert in nut so it won't come loose). With the stop nuts you don't have to apply that much pressure and the plasic is much happier. It also allows the hardboard to be adjusted a little when you install the "Y" duct.

Good luck

Date: February 18, 2018 04:08PM

Awesome tips thank you. Fortunately most of the original Y duct hardboard is there, it is just dangling by a few threads. So I have a good sense of how they attach assuming Clark's look like the original. What started me down this path is that this past Fall I had the car out for the evening and the windows fogged and I had never had to use the defrost before. Turned it on and the passenger side defogged well but nothing happened on the drivers side. So I decided a good winters project would be to inspect. Well, I found a mouse next of wadded up padding etc... plugging the drivers side Y duct outlet. When I bought the car in 2013 it had sat for some time in a pole barn and I thought I had found and cleaned out all the mouse nests, including in the heater fan with a dead mouse inside it. I guess he also had a second vacation home at the other end of the duct in the Y for when he wanted some sun...

Vin
Dayton, OH

Date: February 18, 2018 05:40PM

The Clark's hardboard comes with creases to bend them. Just don't bend them the wrong way. They worked great and are colored dark gray.

Date: February 24, 2018 11:53AM

OK my new hardboard came in for the top of the Y defrost duct but I have a question. On what is left of my original defroster hardboard at the top of the Y duct, I see that the left and right pieces are bent differently. But the new pieces that I have are identical, although they still need to be bent. Can someone confirm for me that each side gets bent and assembled in different ways? I can't tell if my originals are different side to side because they should be different or they just look different because of some pieces are broken off but they are actually the same. Thanks

Vin
Dayton, OH

Date: February 24, 2018 12:44PM

Note the ducts tend to be warped after all the decades in the sun.

See if this helps.

Attachments:

Date: February 24, 2018 01:37PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. But now I do have a mystery on my hands. One of my sides looks just like you show. However my other side is different. And the different side seems to be stock. The ends are folded over completely and stapled together flat then the piece is stapled to the flat top of the duct, not on the sides. I will try to post a picture so my description can be seen. There are no other staple holes on the side so I don't think this was a goobered up fix by a previous owner. Mine is a 65. I wonder if initially they had a reason to do the one side different then made them the same later? Hmmm... I will try to get the picture posted.

Vin
Dayton, OH

Date: February 24, 2018 02:45PM

When I removed my staples from two different ducts it was obvious a lot of "personal preference" went into the job as the staples were arranged haphazardly.

I've run into the same thing with seat upholstery - attachments seem to vary depending on who was doing it. My favorite was one lower seat cushion cover that had 25 hog rings in the list to seat wire on one side!!! Normally 4-8 is used.

Date: February 24, 2018 06:37PM

Vin
Dayton, OH

Date: February 24, 2018 06:44PM

i just posted the picture above to show how the one side of my Y duct hardboard looks. The other side looks just like 66vairman's. But you can see this one side is done differently. The side flaps are folded over and stapled flat, then it is stapled to the top and not the sides of the duct. There are also staples that span the crease where it bends such that one end of the staple is in the plastic and one end is just in the hardboard - like they did this to prevent the crease from failing and the end of the hardboard falling off. That actually worked as that staple is all that is holding this end piece flap on. So 66vairman it is a real head scratcher wondering if this was a stock technique or just some line worker's experiment one night. I can't decide if I'll use my new hardboard to make both sides the same like yours, or if in the spirit of keeping the car close to how it was made trying to replicate this on the one side.

Vin
Dayton, OH

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:16PM

I did not even know these things existed!
Now I've gotta check mine out.
Thanks for posting this.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 24, 2018 07:33PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did not even know these things existed!
> Now I've gotta check mine out.
> Thanks for posting this.

==========================================

Pretty evident in your snow pictures... no defrost!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:13PM

Ha Ha Ha grinning smiley
The defroster wasn't on in the snow pictures.
Even if it was, living 1 mile from everything doesn't give it time to do much before you are, wherever you are going!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: February 24, 2018 08:25PM

Vin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i just posted the picture above to show how the
> one side of my Y duct hardboard looks. The other
> side looks just like 66vairman's. But you can see
> this one side is done differently. The side flaps
> are folded over and stapled flat, then it is
> stapled to the top and not the sides of the duct.
> There are also staples that span the crease where
> it bends such that one end of the staple is in the
> plastic and one end is just in the hardboard -
> like they did this to prevent the crease from
> failing and the end of the hardboard falling off.
> That actually worked as that staple is all that is
> holding this end piece flap on. So 66vairman it
> is a real head scratcher wondering if this was a
> stock technique or just some line worker's
> experiment one night. I can't decide if I'll use
> my new hardboard to make both sides the same like
> yours, or if in the spirit of keeping the car
> close to how it was made trying to replicate this
> on the one side.

Vin - I'm going to make a wild guess here. I think the "assembler" broke the hardboard folding it and got creative. It's easy to break one if you aren't careful folding them (ask me how I know - LOL). Rather than get dinged for messing up (production workers were monitored for efficiency, still are) the worker figured a way to use the damaged part. Again it's just a guess.

There are many stories of stuff folks find that the factory workers goofed up as everyone makes mistakes. I found a few things on my cars - great for stories with Vair buddies.

I usually try to get things to the way they should have been done, although I don't mind changes if they improve things - just me.

It's a shame nobody ever interviewed the old production line folks to get some stories in a book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 08:30PM by 66vairman.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 24, 2018 08:47PM

66vairman Wrote:

> It's a shame nobody ever interviewed the old
> production line folks to get some stories in a
> book.

Oh but they have. "Meet The Makers".

Date: February 25, 2018 06:34AM

66vairman, I think your guess is exactly what happened. I got some garage time this morning and I played with things some. While the hardboard is tough stuff, you do have to bend it ever so carefully - I see exactly what you mean. It is easy for me to see that a rushed line worker would not have so carefully and slowly bent the hardboard. Probably going fast and the bend cracked the hardboard and the easy solution to keep going and not waste product was to fold the sides all the way over and staple it to the top. I really like your idea of using the small screws and washers - I think that is the way I will go since I can see how that will give a little rotational flexibility that the staples would not provide and that will come in handy when reinstalling.

American Mel - the Ohio winter downtime got me itching to do Corvair work so I picked some things to go deep into and this was one of them. It isn't a horrible job by any means, just removing screws that hold the Y duct in place under the dash. The "hard" part is just getting access. After trying unsuccessfully to work my way around the seats and shifter, I ended up just removing the drivers seat and rear seat bottom cushion. That let me lay down on my back and made getting under the dash a lot easier!

Vin
Dayton, OH

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: February 25, 2018 07:03AM

I've had the ducts out on my 1969 and there was no sign of the board ever having been installed--no remnants or staples present. Another 69 short cut?

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.