Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Back in the Saddle Again
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 16, 2018 01:52PM

Hello all!

It's been a while. I'm an old member of the group but I got out of Corvair life in 2012 when I sold my yellow car that ironically my kids had named silver. Now in 2018 I'm finally having the time and funds to get back into it again. Why did I get out in the first place? For all the wrong reasons. I was moving out of California into a much wetter state, and thought that I wouldn't be going back to California I'm so I thought I should get rid of my Corvair. Both things turned out to not be true. Especially the getting rid of a Corvair thing. I regretted it almost as soon as the sale was done.

Anyway I have identified this 1965 as one that I want to bring back to life, and I have the project well in hand but I'm trying to purchase new wheels for it and I'm not finding a lot of options. These are all things that I am sure been covered many times before, but since I've been out of it for so long I'm just wondering: what are the current good sources for Wheels? What are the limits and specs for a Corvair Coupe? I've seen people putting 18 in by 9 in Wheels on and that's not what I'm looking to do, I was just thinking of something maybe 14 or 15 by 7, however when I start shopping Amazon little helpful bot tells me that I will like that won't fit on a Corvair. Is this true? What do you use? I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I reengage the best part of my brain that has been dormant for a while, but that's my opening Salvo.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Back in the Saddle Again
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 16, 2018 02:06PM

Welcome Back!!! Try the pictures again...they didn't load.

Date: February 16, 2018 02:06PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all!
>
> It's been a while. I'm an old member of the group
> but I got out of Corvair life in 2012 when I sold
> my yellow car that ironically my kids had named
> silver. Now in 2018 I'm finally having the time
> and funds to get back into it again. Why did I get
> out in the first place? For all the wrong reasons.
> I was moving out of California into a much wetter
> state, and thought that I wouldn't be going back
> to California I'm so I thought I should get rid of
> my Corvair. Both things turned out to not be true.
> Especially the getting rid of a Corvair thing. I
> regretted it almost as soon as the sale was done.
>
> Anyway I have identified this 1965 as one that I
> want to bring back to life, and I have the project
> well in hand but I'm trying to purchase new wheels
> for it and I'm not finding a lot of options. These
> are all things that I am sure been covered many
> times before, but since I've been out of it for so
> long I'm just wondering: what are the current good
> sources for Wheels? What are the limits and specs
> for a Corvair Coupe? I've seen people putting 18
> in by 9 in Wheels on and that's not what I'm
> looking to do, I was just thinking of something
> maybe 14 or 15 by 7, however when I start shopping
> Amazon little helpful bot tells me that I will
> like that won't fit on a Corvair. Is this true?
> What do you use? I'm sure I'll have a lot more
> questions as I reengage the best part of my brain
> that has been dormant for a while, but that's my
> opening Salvo.
>
> [photos.app.goo.gl]

The preceding contains a few typos and is just an example of how I'm getting back into this. I'm also learning how the Forum works. When I went back to edit it I was told I didn't have permission because my editing time has expired. I'll work on remembering that. :-)

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: February 16, 2018 02:08PM

If you click the photo Link in my quote of my own words you'll actually be able to get to the photo. Kind of weird but I guess that's how it is.

The other photo is from my signature and I guess it's just too old I'll have to fix that. :-)

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Date: February 16, 2018 02:23PM

I think I've fixed the signature issues. Or least made new ones. :-)

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 16, 2018 02:25PM

Welcome back Eric. If you try the 'search' button for wheels or late model wheels you will find many choices. Common wheels include Camaro IROC or Z-28 and various Buick/Olds/Pontiac wheels. Lots of pics with the posts too. Good luck in your search. Don't forget the local clubs are a good source of info plus activities as well as CORSA.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 16, 2018 02:37PM

The photo link shows a heard of Corvairs with two good looking smiling children.
There are several ways to do pics, some of the guys are experts or you can search some.
With the wheels back spacing is critical, I'm not an expert but there are some here that will help you. If I were to purchase wheels I'd look into 16 inch, the tire selections are quickly drying up for the smaller rims, my 66 came with 14x6 wheels when I bought it, I love them and they are wearing the one size tire that was available in 14 inch. My 64 has 15x6 rims.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: February 16, 2018 02:49PM

Yeah that photo is really--I need to do some work on it. I'm doing this from my phone right now when I get back to my office I'll try to fix all of that.

Reading all my old posts and trying to get the vibe for the way I used to participate. This is a community I used to support a lot more and I want to again.

One of the things I concentrated on while I was away was my film career. I did a short film that did pretty well and I don't think it can be understated how much the Corvair I decided to use in it helped. :-)

Maybe I'll try to post a picture from that see if I can improve with practice:

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Date: February 16, 2018 02:51PM

Hey! Success!

As for the linked photo the car I'm talking about as my new project car is the white one that you can't quite see all of. And thanks for the comment about the cute kids. The Boy Is Mine.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 16, 2018 02:55PM

You want 4.5" backspacing as well... not less..

To get the pics viewable to us with Google

Click on the pic once and a new tab will open....top right...to left of Magnifying glass SHARE then GET LINK then Copy

Then here Click on Mountain icon / right of the earth, and paste.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 16, 2018 03:02PM

And there it is!

I tried that link copy business when I was putting my signature back together; it didn't seem to work. Maybe I need to do it from my desktop. But at least everyone can see it because you are able to share it. Thank you!

So everybody the message right before this one has the picture of my car such as it is. I've only been able to go see at once so far. I'm at the very early stages of this. The owner and I have signed papers but he immediately went out of town so I'll be hauling it away in about 2 weeks.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Date: February 16, 2018 03:03PM

4.5 inch of backspacing that's referring to the the space between the tire and the actual metal of the car inside the wheel well right?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 03:04PM by playerpage.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 16, 2018 03:25PM

Backspace is a measurement taken on a wheel:

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:
Date: February 17, 2018 12:37PM

So I'm seeing some options online for 17in rims that have 4.5 in the backspace, sounds like they will work for the rear. What about 16 inch on the front, but more shallow? Also, what about Honda rims? I'm seeing a lot of those after market, and they seem promising.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 12:38PM by playerpage.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 17, 2018 01:08PM

I don't think you will find any Honda wheels with 5x4.75" bolt pattern. '82-'92 Z-28 wheels fit with no mods but the 16x8 wheel most IROCs came with do require modifications. Yes, I realize the base wheel on an IROC was a 15x7 but I've never seen any in person.
The 15" tire sizes are pretty limited compared to 10 years ago but there are still quite a few available. 14" tires are extremely limited. I wouldn't go 14".
If you are going to buy new aftermarket wheels get 17" since they seem to have the most tire sizes available. You'll want to make sure the front tire diameter matches stock tires so your speedometer will be accurate.

Date: February 17, 2018 01:21PM

So . . . a 13 inch (or was it 14 inches in 65?) rim plus tire back in the day equaled what, aprox.?

I have my eye on some thin 14in ChevyII rims from a member here for the front, but I would wonder what my sources were for tires if I got those. Chevy II tires are still available aren't they? I mean, if they are, that fixes my speedometer concerns, but I am just thinking to my eye 17 inches is too much of a differential on the back--this isn't going to be a drag racer--and I'd rather go no bigger than 16.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Date: February 17, 2018 01:25PM

All Corvair cars came with 13" wheels. Here's a great site on wheels:
[autoxer.skiblack.com]
Don't buy 14" wheels.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 17, 2018 01:26PM

25" Speedo is 825 revs per mile

Stick with 15" or larger! Very few sizes available in 13 or 14 inch.

205-60/15 is correct height.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 17, 2018 01:28PM

I just checked TireRack and they have far more tires than I ever dreamed in 14".
[www.tirerack.com]

Date: February 17, 2018 01:29PM

Thanks for the measurements and the site, Matt. Always been a great resource. cool smiley

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.