Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need Opinions About 64 For Sale
Posted by: CorvairShaggy ()
Date: February 15, 2018 06:49AM

Since the list in the Cars/Parts for Sale already has my car, I guess it is OK to post in the main thread. I am not wanting to promote the car, I am just looking for some honest feedback. Spring is coming up, and that should be a great time to sell a convertible. I bought this car from someone who did not know what they were doing, so this was just a fixer-up project, not one to add to the fleet. It was in too good of shape to let it just sit and rot. But, It's not like I have to sell it either. I've had it "finished" and for sale since last fall, and I have received some interest, but no good bites. I contacted Bring a Trailer (BaT), but he only wanted to list it with a $7,000 reserve. He said he thought that is about all it would bring. We go there daily, and you can see cars sell for way more than that. Crazy how the FCs and Lakewoods are bringing more than the cars these day. smiling smiley Anyway, please ask any questions and post honest feedback. If you feel compelled to just bash the car and troll, that's fine as well. smiling smiley

[photos.app.goo.gl]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Opinions About 64 For Sale
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: February 15, 2018 06:52AM

Wow that looks like a really nice one and appears to be well sorted out. I would say $7K would be on the very low end. I would think you could get $10-15K for that or maybe more if you had the right buyer.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 - Trailered Track monster
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:11AM

I agree with Nick. Looks like a nice car from the pictures. What are the issues with it?

Posted by: deeair ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:12AM

That is one sweet example!!! Raise the price by $2,000 and prepare to drop it when the buyer shows interest. It is a very fair price IMHO.

Dee Smirlis - CCRC - Sacramento Gold Country

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:25AM

Some people might not notice the first photo on your link is actually a video with a walk-around view and the engine running.

Other than the little paint issues you show near the front bumper it looks quite nice. I don't see why you wouldn't get close to your asking price of just under $10K.

I know you already have new tires on it but a set of white walls would really make it pop!

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Date: February 15, 2018 07:31AM

There are really no issues. It just like any other older car. I have not driven it much this winter because of the rainy weather, or really cold. I did do the Ice Cube Heater Relay Blower conversion, but I need to drive it more and make sure it holds well before posting a more updated write-up/How-to. I have taken it to a few Saturday night Cruise-ins, and it always turns heads. It is not a perfect car cosmetically, but mechanically it drives really well. For a 50+ year old weekend fun car, it is perfect for that. You could tinker with it and always make things better, but that is any old car. It does have a few minor paint blemishes. Looks like lacquer check or bondo, but a light magnet sticks to it just fine, so I do not think it is a bondo-mobile. It's been on Craigslist, Facebook Market place, Old Car Ride, etc. with very little interest. BaT seems to be a good place to list, but at a $7k reserve, I'm not willing to take that gamble. I've got slightly more than that in it, and I am not desperate to sell. There are a ton of EM Convertibles out there, so may just take time to find the right person. In the meantime, I will still tinker with it and enjoy it, as long as my other cars don't get jealous. (especially the '63 Spyder Convertible w/180 Turbo motor).

Date: February 15, 2018 07:38AM

azdave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people might not notice the first photo on
> your link is actually a video with a walk-around
> view and the engine running.
>
> Other than the little paint issues you show near
> the front bumper it looks quite nice. I don't see
> why you wouldn't get close to your asking price of
> just under $10K.
>
> I know you already have new tires on it but a set
> of white walls would really make it pop!

Just moved the video to the end. That was a quick video my Father-in-Law made for someone else. On the next nice sunny day planning on taking updated pictures of it. That was from September '17, and a few minor things have changed. (I personally liked the air cleaners painted the color of the car, but he did not, so he painted them back black).

If I was going to keep it, I would go with bigger wheels/tires. Those skinny 13"s just don't handle all that great when you are use to newer cars.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:45AM

Looks like a good car for the money smiling smiley, but with no underneath photos who knows?. Welcome to the Corvair world were most are VERY CHEAP and most are only interested in a CHEAP daily drivers sad smiley.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: February 15, 2018 07:58AM

This time of year is a poor choice to expect to sell a Corvair Convertible, unless it priced as an outstanding bargain. It's Winter Buyer's market.

Once Spring comes on strong, folks will have their Winter doldrums behind them and taxes are no longer an issue. May begins and the convertible desires start stirring...

That is the time you'll find serious buyers.

Meanwhile continue making improvements and sorting things out, and get some good detail photos of the nether region.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 15, 2018 08:29AM

Mel Wrote:
> Looks like a good car for the money smiling smiley, but with
> no underneath photos who knows?. Welcome to the
> Corvair world were most are VERY CHEAP and most
> are only interested in a CHEAP daily drivers sad smiley.

Just added some underneath photos. On the passenger side, someone pop-riveted a few small pieces of metal (not the whole pan!). I had the back seat out and it is very solid for a convertible. Personally, if I was going to go thru the trouble of stripping/repainting it tomorrow, then I would get a replacement passenger side pan since the car would be stripped down anyway. But, it is definitely not a Flintstone.

Date: February 15, 2018 08:32AM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
> This time of year is a poor choice to expect to
> sell a Corvair Convertible, unless it priced as an
> outstanding bargain. It's Winter Buyer's market.
>
> Once Spring comes on strong, folks will have their
> Winter doldrums behind them and taxes are no
> longer an issue. May begins and the convertible
> desires start stirring...
>
> That is the time you'll find serious buyers.
>
> Meanwhile continue making improvements and sorting
> things out, and get some good detail photos of the
> nether region.

It was first put on the market back in September, and thru the Fall very little interest. Generally, I always buy and never sell, so this is new one on me. I knew the "Peak" season was coming up, but wanted to make sure I'm in the Ballpark. Thanks!

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 15, 2018 08:45AM

The Corvair shows start soon, excellent place to show it to a lot of people who already like them and may not even know they need to buy yours until they see it.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: geezer43 ()
Date: February 15, 2018 10:26AM

Your 64 is better than my 63 convertible (resale red) and I was just offered $10,000 for it as is where is (outside Starbucks)from a guy who drove up in a nice Mercedes. My insurer, Hagerty, told me mine was worth about $10K as well.

Hold out for $10K which is nearer what it is worth. Yes, spring selling season is the best to move it but don't be hasty. You will find someone who is not terribly mechanical that wants a good car to drive with minimal problems. Maybe price it a bit higher with the idea that in negotiating you can come down closer to $10K and then both parties have a win-win.

Jim Johnson, Chandler, Arizona
63 Monza convertible, resale red, a 20 footer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.