home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
wagon with A/C?
Posted by: ford ()
Date: February 14, 2018 01:31PM

I'm trying to understand my rescued 1962 Monza wagon. My understanding is that A/C was not an option on wagons, but mine has a couple of items that make me suspicious, a second crank pulley, the diagonal support bracket that the compressor bracket bolts to, and the coil is attached to the rear frame rail. The engine code is TI005ZK, and that 10/5 build date is compatible with the 10A date on the body tag, and ACC code is AE (no B for A/C), and the engine has a rear oil fill, so it would seem to be the original engine. So, am I right that there are no factory A/C wagons? If so, my guess would be that A/C was added, and later removed. Hard to believe you could fit A/C in there. Anyone have any alternate possibilities? Someone thought maybe a supercharger. Any other evidence I should look for?

Thanks,

Steve, SE PA

1964 Monza Convertible, white/black, 110/4sp
1962 Monza Wagon, white/red, 102/PG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wagon with A/C?
Date: February 14, 2018 02:05PM

Correct, no A/C on the Station Wagon models. Remember that they put the condenser on top of the engine back in those days.
ZK is correct code for a 102 hp Powerglide engine for the Station Wagon in 1962.

A/C has been custom installed on the Lakewood/Monza wagons, as you can imagine.
The condenser is mounted up front usually involving modifying the trunk floor well.
The standard interior evaporator, under radio controls and vents.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 14, 2018 03:16PM

Dan is correct.
I had a wagon, and the PO had installed A/C in it.
He also had installed EVERY other convenience item that he could.
It had been their daily driver and they drove it on family vacations from the PNW to all though-out the southwest

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:45PM

In 1970 I added AC to my Lakewood. Using a split 1966 condenser on each side. Oddly enough I had added a 150 as well. Always wondered what became of the car.
I still have a photo of the car with AC installed.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:50PM

150?

Date: February 15, 2018 08:21PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 150?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
That would be the Turbo-Charged Early Model Corvair engine.

So, Mark, that would be "interesting" Condenser on each side air intake to pre-heat the cooling air for a Turbo.

Yeah! Sunoco 260 for fuel - the good ol' days....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 15, 2018 09:27PM

That's probably a good guess but that is really reading a lot into it.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 15, 2018 10:38PM

Reading a lot into it?
I would not think so.
In fact, on a Corvair forum, with no other details given, the ONLY logical interpretation of "150" could be a 150 hp turbo engine.

What comes to your mind when I say numbers like

???????

Anywhere else they might conjure up all kinds of things, but around here they only mean one thing unless a person prefaces them with a different adjective.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: ford ()
Date: February 16, 2018 09:01AM

MarkDustan Wrote:
> In 1970 I added AC to my Lakewood. Using a split
> 1966 condenser on each side. Oddly enough I had
> added a 150 as well. Always wondered what became
> of the car.
> I still have a photo of the car with AC installed.

Hmmm. There's also an intentional 6" hole in the back of my left wheel well, into the battery compartment. That seems like a messy place to put an air intake, but might it be that? How was yours installed?

Thanks,

Steve, SE PA

1964 Monza Convertible, white/black, 110/4sp
1962 Monza Wagon, white/red, 102/PG

Date: February 17, 2018 10:23PM

Sorry I was not clear. Yes, I installed a Turbo charged 150 (1962).
The AC indeed did “preheat” the air coming into the engine compartment. I made a bump in the engine lid from the sheet metal cover from a donor wagon. Corvair parts at the wrecking yards were plentiful in those days. I will see if I can dig up some old polaroid photos... some of you are too young to know what those are.
The more difficult part was to figure out why the silicon rectifier was arrached to the high beam switch. Can you guess what it was for?

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: February 18, 2018 06:30AM

MarkDustan Wrote:
> The more difficult part was to figure out why the
> silicon rectifier was arrached to the high beam
> switch. Can you guess what it was for?

Just guessing here... to eliminate fluctuations in the current going to the headlights when the compressor cycles on/off?

Date: February 18, 2018 09:18PM

Good guess but no... The generator did not have enough power to run the high beam headlights and the AC on high, so when you hit the high beam switch it slowed the blower motor to prevent overloading the generator...pretty ingenious

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.