Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LM - Interior Blue color formulas anyone?
Posted by: rhysaccess ()
Date: February 14, 2018 06:35AM

Howdy all,

I'm looking to get paint sourced for my 66 Monza. I understand that it's Dark bright blue & Bright Blue.

It's not coming up on the supplier's formulas so far. Anyone got the formula of these (or something comparable) I can refer to in 2018?

Thanks

Rhys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM - Interior Blue color formulas anyone?
Posted by: DCMain ()
Date: February 14, 2018 07:46AM

My 68 has a "medium" blue interior. I was able to find paint from a Camaro vendor. Check with the other Chevy/GM vendors as often you can find the match. With that being said, GM used several shades of medium blue to complete the interior.

Date: February 14, 2018 08:42AM

try www.oerparts.com

I bought the interior part for my 68 from them. Also, check the Clark's cat for the color codes...should be helpful

Date: February 14, 2018 08:43AM

bought the paint not part

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: February 14, 2018 09:42AM

Corvair ranch has all the interior paints.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: February 14, 2018 10:08AM

Hi Rhys,

Maybe Duane Wentland or Dave Binnie can chime in, they can likely give you a paint code and the proper gloss level for the interior surfaces. I think the paint colour was similar to exterior but with 60 gloss on doors and almost flat on the dash, but I cannot recall exactly. I would assume you can then get similar paint locally.

James
Maple Ridge, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Date: February 14, 2018 11:12AM

Rhys,
I remember you posted your Fisher Body ID Plate awhile ago.

On there is your interior and exterior Trim and Paint info.

Your 1966 Monza is original "Marina Blue" (one of three exclusive colors for Chevrolets that year) and the interior is Blue.

Kent Sullivan has a great website serving very detailed and useful info regarding restoration details, including the interior paint colors along with modern paint manufacturers coded. - Just what you need!

CorvairKid.com is the place you will find this.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 14, 2018 04:41PM

Thanks to all for your comments & suggestions.

The Marina Blue exterior is no problem (and is in the Standox reference library)

My reference for the exact interior blue - was from the Corvair Kid website, where I referenced the two blue tones identified.

The original paint manufacturer codes (even when identified), often don't help the guy mixing the paint, who is looking for a more contemporary formula or reference. The gloss level is pretty easy to figure out.

So - I hope someone can point to something easier for the paint guys to access.....it may be an equivalent colour (color) from a Ford or VW.

Regards,
Rhys

Date: February 14, 2018 05:12PM

Rhys,
HERE is an Australian site that give Lucite and Dulux codes for 1967 Chevrolet paint both interior and exterior.
Might be a starting point for you.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 14, 2018 05:35PM

I've also gone to a local Auto Body Paint supplier and done a calibrated eyeball comparison from thousand + mfg. paint chips they have at their store.
They also provide a computer scan/match service, as most do over here these days.

I have a Corvair Compatriot that has a beautifully restored 1966 Corsa in Marina Blue with the Bright Blue interior. He did the paint and he was a pro body/paint man for his career.
I'll try to check with him for info...

Date: February 15, 2018 08:07PM

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info.

I'm not much closer to finding anything though. I spent some time visiting paint guys in the hope their computers have something - without luck.

I sent an enquiry to Axalta (the current Standox owners). who responded, but without info. The Glasurit library has nothing.

I've been lurking on some Corvette & Chevelle forums, who seem in a similar position...they can quote obsolete paint numbers - but no formula or current equivalent paint ID.

(No samples on my car are trustworthy as match-worthy)

Someone must know - yea?

Regards,
Rhys

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: February 18, 2018 08:35PM

In a search for the correct interior paint for my 65 Corsa convertible Glacier Gray with Slate interior, I found this reference sheet. It is for 65 so I cannot be sure on the exact blue you need but it lists the variety us blues used in 65
[www.oldride.com]

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 18, 2018 11:04PM

I'd be interested in the results of this quest. The 65 Monza 140 I am picking up in the next week or two is off-white exterior with what appears to be the remains of a light blue interior. All the seats are blue.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: donald g ()
Date: February 19, 2018 01:00PM

My 1966 GM color chart lists the Dupont numbers as 9271-LH, medium bright blue semi-gloss and 9272-LH Dark Blue semi-gloss and finally 9286-LH Dark blue semi-gloss. My last trip to the Dupont paint shop was 3 yrs ago and they were able to find info to mix contempory paint!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 19, 2018 01:05PM

donald g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 1966 GM color chart lists the Dupont numbers as
> 9271-LH, medium bright blue semi-gloss and 9272-LH
> Dark Blue semi-gloss and finally 9286-LH Dark blue
> semi-gloss. My last trip to the Dupont paint shop
> was 3 yrs ago and they were able to find info to
> mix contempory paint!

===============================================

Could you call that shop and get the Formulas? That's what Rhys needs... he's in Australia!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 19, 2018 06:11PM

Thanks Matt,

You're absolutely right (and thanks)....the tyranny of distance can make some simple stuff, not so simple.

I'm going to be in the US next week, so if no-one can spit a formula at me, I'll get some samples and bring them home for matching. Seems excessive though.

Regards,
Rhys

Date: February 19, 2018 08:58PM

Rhys,
I'm planning on dropping by my auto-paint supplier that has the "thousands" of original paint chip pages available. I'm going to see if I can find an older chart with the original colors, then I'm going to see what more modern car has something that is as close as I can find.
If you are headed over, we can tackle this job together and then we can head to the PowerHouse for Lunch and Brew!
We could also go visit my buddy that has the Marina Blue/bright blue 1966 Corsa Convertible.

Date: February 19, 2018 09:55PM

Thanks for doing all that Dan.

It's a flying work trip to LA/Vegas & Reno....... so regrettably no Dan-time. But I have logged that you owe me lunch and a beer.

Cheers,
Rhys

Date: February 20, 2018 02:15AM

Rhys,
Thinking more about your interior color "issue" - Probably best result would be using the colors of your new padded dash, door panels and seat covers to obtain a new color formula that brings them all together.
I see some original blue on the steel that was long covered by the old dash pad.
That would also be a great place to get a computer color scan. Also the blue on the doors that was covered by the door panels...

Date: February 20, 2018 04:40AM

Hi Dan,

I'm not comfortable with any of the existing paint remnants as suitable for a matching sample.

I'll buy some mixed paint stateside - and bring it home.

Cheers,
Rhys

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.