Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Custom Air Cleaner
Posted by: triumphcorvair ()
Date: February 13, 2018 01:55PM

I posted this on another forum. Just looking for some additional input.

I am looking for someone that has access to a water jet machine to cut our tops and bottoms for oval air cleaners. The oval tops are pretty simple. They are 12.125" long by 6.25" wide. The bottoms are the same dimensions but with two 2.25" diameter holes on 5.590" centers.

I was wanting 3/8" aluminum but would be ok with 1/4" aluminum. The surface could be brushed or polished and the edges finished.

I was going to use the WIX 42710 air cleaners. Marty Scarr has recommended the WIX 42030 which is a single oval shaped air cleaner. This would actually be a better fit but the dimensions of the tops and bottoms would need to be changed. The WIX 42710 is a round filter. I would have to use two of them per side.

I already have the velocity stacks made that I will bolt onto the bottoms. The patterns are located in the background to give you an idea of what they will look like.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Air Cleaner
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 13, 2018 02:06PM

I have a friend who has one of those machines.

How many do you want?

Bob

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: triumphcorvair ()
Date: February 13, 2018 02:22PM

Bob, Just one set.

Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas

65 140 Monza
71 Triumph Bonneville

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2018 10:04PM

3/8" aluminum would make them boat anchors. 1/4" is really thick also.
I have a friend with a CNC router that would probably work great for those.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 15, 2018 07:08AM

Darrell

He only wants to do large runs, not worth the setup time for one

Sorry

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Date: February 15, 2018 08:04AM

A drill, saber saw and sanding will get you what you want.
Buy the sheet stock, you can find it in various finishes. Make sure the surface protection stays on plus put some padding tape on the saber saw plate.
Trace the pattern, drill some holes and starter holes for the blade, then carefully make your cuts with a slight reserve that you can sand away to a smooth finish.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: February 15, 2018 08:22AM

I would consider using .080 aluminum, the same material that most road signs are made of. It will be plenty strong, and should be easy enough to source cut and finish the way Dan has described.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.