Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Floorboard rust treatment and floorboard sound deadening
Posted by: loots ()
Date: February 12, 2018 08:58PM

Looking for someone with experience treating a rusty (not thru) floorboard and which product is best and ease of use. Also what sound deadening products people have used and are happy with. Figure while the interior is out being re-upholstered and carpet kit on the way, now is a good time to do this.

Thank you for any and all help.

Arlington, Washington
1962 Monza 110/PG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Floorboard rust treatment and floorboard sound deadening
Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: February 12, 2018 09:49PM

POR-15 works pretty well for the rust issue, and a Dynamat type product works well as insulation. You can also buy a roofing product from Lowes called "Peal and Seal"that is essentially the same as Dynamat, except it is in rolls instead of squares. It is an asphalt based product, I think the Dynamat is butyl based. I have used it on floors without an issue. I'm sure some audio guys will have better information regarding it's use

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 09:51PM by 19sixty5.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 12, 2018 10:24PM

This discussion was covered in great detail here at one time.

Dynamat is far superior to "roofing material". A few companies (long gone) repackaged asphalt roofing material as a cheap alternative. Well it was "CHEAP". I read a number of posts on car forums and the stories about smell and GOO coming up into carpets from cheap sound deadeners convinced me to go with Dynamat. No smell, no peeling, no goo - no regrets with Dynamat.

The only complaint against Dynamat is the cost which is high. Other sound deadening companies have come and gone, but Dynamat is still in business and makes a good product.

Oh - keep in mind it's near impossible to peel off the paper backing when Dynamat gets hot in the sunlight. Cut and peel while it is cool, much easier.

I sandblast and prime/paint the floor boards, but it is a LOT of work. The advantage is you'll find thin spots and pin holes to repair and remove ALL the corroded metal. It comes done to how long you want the car to last.

Posted by: Huntsville ()
Date: February 13, 2018 02:38PM

I used EZCool insulation, it provides thermal and sound insulation. It is a closed-cell foam, foil backed on both sides.

It is not self-adhesive, requires a spray adhesive.

EZCool Auto Insulation

Danny Robertson
Huntsville, Al
'64 Spyder (Daily Driver)
'63 Rampside (Rotisseried and in Progress!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 02:39PM by Huntsville.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 13, 2018 07:58PM

One of my cars had a floor that was weakened and had a few pin holes in it. The fellow that painted my car, purchased a product that came in a pouch, that was separated into 2 parts. You pulled the 2 sides apart to release the 2 parts together, and then worked them back and forth till they were completely mixed. Then cut open the pouch, and pour it onto the clean and well sanded floor, that you previously wiped down with a degreaser/cleaner. He spread it around with a plastic body filler spreader, coating the entire floor. The next day, the floor was solid, and he put the Dynomat over it. Coated the underneath with spray undercoating, and 5 years later, it is still solid. Not the way that you might do a show car, but for a driver, it is fast and relatively inexpensive. I don't know the name of the product, but he purchased it at his local automotive paint supply store. Only thing that he mentioned afterward, was that if the floor needed more support, that he would have put a sheet of fiberglass cloth over the product for additional strength.

Posted by: County98 ()
Date: February 14, 2018 04:57AM

I used Rust Bullet. Same kind of deal as POR 15. Had a couple pin holes, but cleaned everything up, coated thick, coated fabric screen "patches", and everything dried epoxy hard. I'm not worried about it at all.

I used NVX deadener, same a dynamat, but little cheaper through Sonic Electronix. Good product. I personally won't use roofing stuff, especially not asphalt based. MAY be okay for floor, but for anything vertical or roof, use something made for the job.

Posted by: donald g ()
Date: February 17, 2018 12:29PM

For sound insulation-check out Noico on Amazon. It's black and doesn't look out of character as do the aluminium faced products. I've used it on my last 4 restorations and been very pleased.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 17, 2018 12:35PM

Is there any sound proofing that isn't heavy?

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: February 17, 2018 04:36PM

One of the best, educational sound control sites I have found over the the years:

[www.sounddeadenershowdown.com]

Lots of good information there.

Here is a monster thread with specific measurements on various sound absorbing products:

[www.diymobileaudio.com]

And a link to some older Dodge Cummins diesel forum posts for sound deadening information and links to other threads:

[www.cumminsforum.com]

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Huntsville ()
Date: February 17, 2018 06:11PM

Posted by: joelsplace () Date: February 17, 2018 12:35PM Is there any sound proofing that isn't heavy?ace

Ezcool practically weighs nothing, maybe 1 oz per sq. ft., insulates sound and temp.

Danny Robertson
Huntsville, Al
'64 Spyder (Daily Driver)
'63 Rampside (Rotisseried and in Progress!)

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 17, 2018 06:58PM

Thanks Danny, that's what I'm looking for. I hate adding a bunch of weight.

Posted by: ensys ()
Date: February 17, 2018 08:08PM

Again the Odd Bodkin, I believe that the best treatment for rust is a thorough cleaning, followed by a rust neutralizer (the water-based types resist gasoline), followed by a careful painting (the frontline seam sealer) on both sides, followed by careful application of a known seam sealer.

The bottom (road side) coating of choice (following that fine paint job) for me is a thick dose of rubberized undercoating (it's resilient, won't crack, is easy to repair wounds or refresh wear, and can be removed with WD-40).

On the inside, a half inch of the grey composit felt carpet padding provides excellent noise control and temp. insulation, is light-weight, and as a bonus, wicks moisture away from the (treated) metal floor.

For me, the problems with Dynamat-type materials are that no matter how carefully you press that stuff in place, it will still contain voids/paths that will trap moisture, and as insulation, it sucks for temps and short frequency sound waves.

And as an added bonus, the stuff is a collosal pain in the butt to remove to check for water/gas damage or to repair some new spot of rust or damage. Collosal, with a capital "C".

A gooey band-aid with a huge downside.

Just one guy's view.

Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

From America's
Automobile Heartland

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: February 18, 2018 06:22AM

I will never use an asphalt product, it is a mess (caviar: I use it to patch my roof and gutters).

Dynamat butyl is good, but as others have said, expensive. I used edead on muy Vair,

But after months of waiting for the Mini and Dauphine, I canceled my order and bought Fatmat. Basically the same, in rolls of 50 sq ft at about $1.20 a sq ft. I put it on my Mini and Dauphine, I figure 50 x $1.20 is not a bad investment for the sound deadening it provides.

Dynamat Hoodliner is fantastic for the firewall and hoods of other cars. It is light and designed to absorb engine sounds as well as insulate. I have that on both sides of my Vair firewall as well as a piece of the eDead. (yep, overkill). and my speaker boxes.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: loots ()
Date: February 18, 2018 12:09PM

Some great info in this thread! Thanks for all the info guys.. And the photos Richard!!

Arlington, Washington
1962 Monza 110/PG

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 18, 2018 12:22PM

richard1 - I tried to contact "edead" insulation a few years back and got no reply. Apparently they went out of business.

About 10 years back they got great reviews, then something changed (new owners?) and the product changed and finally no more edead as far as I can tell.

Yes Dynamat is expensive, but the company is still there and doing well with good service.

BTW - I got the best deal on Amazon and free shipping with PRIME, a decent savings considering the weight of the box.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: February 21, 2018 05:39AM

richard1 - I tried to contact "edead" insulation a few years back and got no reply. Apparently they went out of business

Yep, I got replies to emails telling me they were negotiating with the supplier and would ship soon. They got themselves into trouble by advertising and selling without stock, then found the costs had gone up.

So that is when I switched to Fatmat.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.