home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
I need some wiring help
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 11, 2018 03:50PM

Guys

I am in progress working on my 65 Crown Conversion.

The PO, cut/modified/changed wiring to suit his needs, and now I am having a tough time sorting out which wire goes where and for what purpose.

I am contemplating buying a whole harness, from the fuse block through the dash and to the rear plug. This way I can rip out all of this mess and start anew, knowing where I am going etc.

Anyone have one, for a 65 Corsa coupe and a price so I can decide how I want to proceed.

Or, does anyone have any suggestions, please be kindsmiling bouncing smiley

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need some wiring help
Date: February 11, 2018 04:15PM

Probably smarter to design and fabricate your own harness for the V8 set-up.
You can contact Craig Nicol - cnicol here on this site about a fuseblock and work with him to get what you need based on your layout.
Part of his business empire is routing electrons.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: curt ()
Date: February 11, 2018 05:30PM

I wired a Studebaker, I tagged each wire as it came off and tagged the location the wire was remove from. I purchased the tags with a string attached from the stationary area of Walmart(?),

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: February 11, 2018 05:57PM

I rewired mine using a Painless wiring harness I had from another project. I had to extend numerous wires to the engine because the kit was for a normal front engined car, add a few circuits here and there, but everything worked out fine. All the Painless stuff is marked the length of the wires, so that certainly helped with the installation. All the fuses are the newer blade style. Painless is not cheap, but it is arguably one of the best out there, I am quite happy with the result, everything works perfectly Painless kits are available from Summit, Jegg's, etc. Speedway Motors also has kits very similar for significantly less than Painless, I would seriously look at them if I was doing it again.

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 11, 2018 06:12PM

I have done this to a crown conversion using Clark's repro wiring harnesses. Sure was nice to have all new wrapped stuff to start with. Yes a lot of in and re-wrapping happened but the result was nice and relatively painless, not to mention that if you are careful about what you do, most of the actual operating harness can remain true to the GM wiring diagrams as far as color codes etc. making going back after an issue easier I think. Choose a harness to meet your needs. I used a 66corsa harness with backup lamp provisions and a/c provisions as well which made wiring these subsystems somewhat easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 12, 2018 09:28AM

I've helped a Crown owner in the local club sort out his stock wiring modified for the Crown V8 conversion.

Yes you can use the stock harness, but rework is required.

If you plan on new wiring and you are going to all new instruments (likely with a V8) then either a cnicol or Painless harness might work just as well, if not better.

Whenever I modify wiring for club folks I make them wiring diagrams - it will save you money and reduce aggravation if repairs/mods are made later.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 12, 2018 12:01PM

still looking for a stock 65 Corsa harness

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.