home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bill Thomas Tribute heads
Posted by: tknobby ()
Date: February 11, 2018 07:01AM

You guys have seen the posts on my big valve heads. Most have been for my version 1 heads. These have 1.52" intake valves and 1.36" exhaust valves. These latest are my Tribute heads in honor of Bill Thomas.

I've made numerous sets using 102 heads, 110 heads, 95 heads and LM turbo heads. Right now I am working on a pair of 63 turbo heads which are getting this treatment. I'll cut the seat registers on these today.

Here are a few pictures of a pair of Tribute 102 heads I built. Can't remember which car these went onto. These pictures show the heads with the original small valves slipped into the guides. Just to show the valve head size difference. The 3rd picture shows the original valves in the foreground and the 140 valves to be installed in the background.

Tom Knoblauch
San Antonio, TX
AmericanFlat6.com

'64 Spyder Vert Big Valve heads, EFI, Custom roller cam, front disc brakes on 2" dropped spindles
'65 Vert 95 EFI 4spd
'65 Monza Coupe 95 w/ Thomas Tribute 110 heads, 2 2bbl 40MM Webers, 140 exh tubes, 110 exh logs, PG w/ high stall Converter, 2" dropped spindles w/ 6 piston Wilwood calipers
'66 Monza Coupe 3.0L EFI 4spd
'68 Monza Coupe 140 3.0L EFI Slide Throttle 4spd
'63 Rampy 80hp w/ 102 Tribute 2 carb heads 4 spd, disc brakes on 2" dropped spindles

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Thomas Tribute heads
Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: February 18, 2018 06:58PM

I love the work you do! These heads and a tweaked cam (and maybe EFI for drivability) and you've "earned" your HP and torque!

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 19, 2018 06:52AM

Tom, Very nice work. What does it cost for a set of these heads? Seems like a LOT of machine work. Do they run 140 sized valves or are yours actually larger? I see what looks like a lot of machine work on the valves themselves. Did you machine the backs of the valves too? I wonder what the flow rates are compared to a set of ported 140 heads. It would be interesting to see that comparison.

Nice work, very drool-worthy!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: tknobby ()
Date: February 20, 2018 05:56AM

Thanks Bob.

The valves are stock 140. I've not machined them in any way.

The flow numbers on the Tribute heads with 2 carb pads is very close to the stock 140 heads. This is without any special runner porting, just bowl blending. With extra runner porting I can get the flow higher than a stock 140 head. But these heads were not designed to compete with 140 heads. They were meant as a performance replacement for tired, damaged small valve heads.

I get 2000 for the pair of Tribute heads, ready to install.

T...

Tom Knoblauch
San Antonio, TX
AmericanFlat6.com

'64 Spyder Vert Big Valve heads, EFI, Custom roller cam, front disc brakes on 2" dropped spindles
'65 Vert 95 EFI 4spd
'65 Monza Coupe 95 w/ Thomas Tribute 110 heads, 2 2bbl 40MM Webers, 140 exh tubes, 110 exh logs, PG w/ high stall Converter, 2" dropped spindles w/ 6 piston Wilwood calipers
'66 Monza Coupe 3.0L EFI 4spd
'68 Monza Coupe 140 3.0L EFI Slide Throttle 4spd
'63 Rampy 80hp w/ 102 Tribute 2 carb heads 4 spd, disc brakes on 2" dropped spindles

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 20, 2018 10:08AM

Nice! thumbs up thumbs up. Hard to imagine the hours put into them. You have a LOT more patience than I do. Not to mention talent!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.