home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Remember this?
Posted by: KILLERCORVAIR ()
Date: February 10, 2018 05:28PM

Can anyone remember from what year and convention this was from?
Thanks
Jim Weppelman
Pittsburgh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remember this?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 10, 2018 05:47PM

Nope... is it an ash tray?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 10, 2018 06:00PM

Matt,
no its rather large. About 9" dia. Made from pot metal or? on back says from Wilton-Columbia, PA. I am thinking Carlisle? Syracuse?or Sturbridge?
Jim Weppelman

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: February 10, 2018 09:34PM

I attended every convention from 71 till 95 in Dalas never saw anything like it during those years

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: February 11, 2018 05:30AM

1984 Parsippany New Jersey

Date: February 11, 2018 07:25AM

Was it a Goodie bag thing? Or from CORSA or the local group? Rare? It probably is going to one of the Chinese auction baskets for this years convention.
Thanks
Jim Weppelman
www.corvairpittsburgh.com

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: February 11, 2018 08:20AM

This was the award given to winners of the Concours competition as well as the first-ever CORSA People's Choice event. These were similar awards and there was some controversy connected to that fact. The sponsoring club purchased a larger volume of awards than were needed and they offered them up to other clubs after the convention concluded. Are they rare? Maybe. I have one downstairs in the collection of "stuff" somewhere...

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: February 11, 2018 04:01PM

Caveman Pete's recollections are mostly correct. These award plates were indeed from the 1984 CORSA Convention in New Jersey, and they were manufactured in three sizes to be awarded for 1st-2nd-3rd.

I know this because I was the guy whose job it was to order them.

They were manufactured out of a faux pewter material. We had seen similar cast plates used for an unrelated purpose, and thought that they would be a more interesting keepsake than just another trophy.

As Pete states, we ordered more than was needed, but just was just to ensure that we would not run short. We billed the convention only for those that were used. We then offered the extras to other clubs and to CORSA itself, because more could be made if more were needed for future use. But as Pete noted there were no takers, so we continued to use them for our own club purposes and for NECC events until the supply ran out.

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.