home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jalopnik series on my Corsa restoration just published...
Posted by: alpha1906 ()
Date: February 10, 2018 08:20PM

I'm on my lecture tour for most of February, but I'm DEFINITELY going to meet up with SCC in March.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: February 10, 2018 08:21PM

A friend sent me the link and I just came on to see if it had been posted yet.
Agreed, any Corvair publicity confirms the relevance and uniqueness of our cars. That vindication outweighs having to read a few curses. Have you spoken to a millennial lately? I think it's a sad commentary on our society but I can get past it. Looking forward to more in the series.
Bob, thanks for the great pics of your car and helping me out those many years ago (79-82).

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's new ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 10, 2018 09:06PM

Hey Alpha - Send your editor a link to TV Comedy called "The Good Place" It is a situation comedy that takes place in a "Heaven" like place. In it, the characters will try to swear, but it comes out close, but not the actual swear word. The characters realize it and often try again, but it always comes out "Good". It is funny to watch their frustration about wanting to swear, but it is not coming out. The "non-swear" is actually funnier than the real words would be, since it sends you on an examination of what they are really trying to say.

Date: February 10, 2018 09:18PM

Oh, there have been a billion skits where the inference of the curse words are used to great effect. But I find it ridiculous that people are somehow offended by swearing. The best thing about the English language is the ability to use every element to create whatever voice you'd like, from the vulgar to the beautiful, sometimes all at the same time. Literature is literally filled with vulgarities, including Shakespeare, and that's what makes it such a delicious language. And if there's anything I've done over the past 25 years, it's to use that language to its fullest.

Posted by: 1960es ()
Date: February 11, 2018 11:53AM

Did you really just say you find it ridiculous that people are somehow offended by swearing???? That is a ridiculous statement.

Posted by: 1960es ()
Date: February 11, 2018 12:29PM

However, I should add that in spite of our different points of view on language, I sincerely wish you the very best for your series and your car!

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: February 11, 2018 01:02PM

Key thing here:. As P.T. Barnum was supposed to have said:
"No such thing as bad publicity"

Do we want publicity or do we want to kill the messanger over some language issues?

Personally, I am glad to see the article in something other than old cars.

The Corvair has lots to offer a new generation. I much prefer to look at the positive, rather than focus on the few things I don't necessarily like.

Let's get back to Corvair's and not language. Why rip a fellow who is helping publicize our cars. Besides, it is just the editorial style at Jalopnic.
In the "good old days". CORSA membership was very close to 7000, now CORSA membership is about 3300. Simply reflection of aging original owners.
We need new blood to go into the future.

Date: February 11, 2018 01:44PM

Thanks! Look y'all, I'm a writer by profession, not hobby. I know what I'm doing here.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.