Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Diff is Toast - Time for Some Serious Thought
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: February 09, 2018 05:35AM

A while back I posted about finding ATF in my differential. I figured since the powerpack was out of the car, it was a good time to reseal the diff and PG. I had a chance to open up the diff last night and while the gears looked like they were wearing normally, the pinion gear was loose on the shaft. As far as I know, that spells a complete failure in the near future. So, if I'm correct that the diff is toast, what does that say for my leaky PG that came from the same car? When last driven, I was a little iffy about the transmission. It felt unsure and slipped a bit in gear. Also, it leaks its guts out on a regular basis.

When I bought my first two Corvairs, I hadn't driven a manual before. I chose to rip the 4 speed out of my project and replace it with the PG from the parts car. Since then, I have worked in body shops for years and grown to love a manual. It's fun and it feels right for a '60's convertible. The PG seems right for the 4 door grocery getter and that's not what I'm building in the garage.

My dilemma: I sold all of my 4-speed parts two years ago when my then landlord forced me to get rid of a parts car and the parts in it. I had it all, too. Now I am stuck with limited options. I can either find a decent 1964 PG diff and hope my transmission isn't junk or I can make my project a 4-speed. (Current project was originally a 4-speed.)

I hate to say it, but cost is an issue. I would need to find a donor car or drivetrain on the cheap. What would the Corvair Center Forum do?

Anyone have a donor '64 4-speed that they wouldn't mind parting with?

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Re: Diff is Toast - Time for Some Serious Thought
Date: February 09, 2018 06:10AM

I'm a 4 speed guy for my Corvairs, too. I'll bet you can find all the parts you need to change yours back over among the folks in your area. Swap-meet days ares coming soon!
There's got to be guys like me in your neighborhood. I've got a ton of manual transmission parts around here.
Corvairs and parts stashes go together like BBQ & Beer!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: February 09, 2018 06:38AM

I wouldnt throw the baby out with the bath water. Yeah, you have some issues with the diff, but the powerglide is a robust mech. You can fix the leaks and drive on, most likely. Since you have it out, have the trans looked at, by a Corvair person. Your "unsure", and "slip" feeling, most likely was/is that loose pinion gear. Take things one step at a time, and start with the diff. You may be surprised.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: February 09, 2018 06:52AM

That's a damn good point! Clark's has used '64 diffs for $90. They don't have any in stock.

Anyone have a spare 1964 PG differential?

I can keep the car a PG for now and look for a 4 speed donor later. I would really just like to get the car going again.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 09, 2018 07:59AM

As an aside, one thing I'm seeing more of with EM differentials is the U-joint yoke loose axially when slid into the differential. The yoke and driveshaft flop out of round somewhat making it impossible to seal. I see it more often on the right side. A machinist can fix it with the parts disassembled. I only bring it up as something to look for when deciding what to do with your's or if looking at a used one.
At least if you diassemble the differential you can replace both seals that allow ATF in the differential, not just the easier one.
It's easy to have a good price on parts that are out of stock. I love Clarks but can't help being a wise guy.
You might just get lucky and find a good used differential and Powerglide as a unit. There's plenty that got saved when scrapping out rusty Corvairs. Sometimes you get lucky, other times not so much but this is a good place to start asking around. Local Corvair club too, lots of folks have more Corvair parts than they know what to do with.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 09, 2018 08:35AM

Have you checked with Frank Duvall in Virginia?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 08:42AM

64 is a one year only diff because of the leaf spring pocket but I have a friend that drove one well over 100,000 miles with an older diff without the pocket and never had a problem. I know someone in Manning SC that has stuff, I'll check with him for you.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: 2manyvairs2fix ()
Date: February 09, 2018 10:36AM

John, I don,t know if it would be worth your time to drive up to the Charlotte area,
but I have a 1964 4 spd.transaxle with a broken t/o bearing collar that came out of a driving car.
It is yours if you want it. I also have a p/g transaxle that came from a 1964 Greenbrier.
Not the same as a car but might be useful for parts.
You are welcome to either or both.

PM me. Rod Kennen

39 years in collision and restoration.
Corvair fixation since 1977
Member of CORSA
1966 Corsa coupe factory A/C project
1966 Corsa "140" conv. former Crown project
1969 Monza "110/4" conv. 4280 original miles, project

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 09, 2018 11:20AM

John, check on the deal from 2manyvairstofix on the Greenbrier pg. The axle and trans. were the same as car in my 64 Corvan. Except for the cooler which can be plugged.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 09, 2018 11:37AM

For some reason I have found a lot of PG diffs with lose pinion gears, i have 6 of them in my shop, I was told if you press the gear back on with green loctite it will fix the problem, I am going to weld a few on with a tig and see how that works, the diff full of ATF is just the seals, if either pinion seal in the diff goes bad the diff will fill with ATF.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: February 09, 2018 03:18PM

Well, it looks like we are going 4 speed. I have sourced a manual transaxle from a forum member.

I want to thank everyone for all of their advice. I really appreciate all of the positive input. You guys rock!

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 05:12PM

Awesome.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.