Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Power Steering??? confused smiley
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:20PM

Has anyone ever tried to add Power Steering to a Corvair??

I keep looking at the EPAS(Electric Power Steering Assist) website and wonder "Could I do that?"

It seems like "someone" must have tried it! eye rolling smiley

Thanks!!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Re: Power Steering??? confused smiley
Posted by: curt ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:25PM

Corvair are so light in the front I don't see the need for PS.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:43PM

Yes, electric power steering is being worked on. There is a company that is working on fitting to a Corvair. I don't think it is completed yet.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:44PM

David Clemens was involved in an install. It required a lot of cutting off the trunk. Maybe he will see this and post.

Lee J

Date: February 08, 2018 05:24PM

I have driven Corvairs since 1962 and don't have a problem with it, but my wife thinks it is to hard to turn! eye rolling smiley

I am also looking at a different steering wheel, so Power Steering may be good to have. confused smiley

I just wanted to check out the history of steering mods. A lot can happen in 50years! eye popping smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: February 08, 2018 10:04PM

Well - if you have the standard steering box, steering arms, and steering wheel, it is nice and light - I guess.
Go with wider tires, quicken the steering, and maybe a less huge steering wheel, and it becomes much less convenient to maneuver in the parking lot and around slow turns. (Or in an autocross)
EPAS sounds tempting. You would prob need to upgrade the charging circuit - maybe a nice modern 80-100 amp alternator?

Various companies make steering quickeners. I've thought of using one of those, and going back to stock steering arms. Add EPAS to that and you might have quick steering with decent geometry and low effort.
Comments?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 08, 2018 10:33PM

Power assist would be easy to add if you don't already have AC..

Just mont a 70's GM pump using the Vair Compressor brackets... hose to the front...

And a 50 / 60's Chevy "Assist ram"... mounts just like a steering Dampener..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 09, 2018 02:56AM

To give you an idea of the size of the unit.

Lee J

Attachments:
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 09, 2018 04:47AM

If it's hard to steer something is wrong with the stock setup, waste of time and $ installing electric PS.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: February 09, 2018 06:00AM

Dale,
I brought a photo of your beautiful Sport Sedan over from another thread so we can see what you are running for wheels/tires.

Remember that the Corvair ran some narrow wheels and tires "back in the day".

I'd say that your issue with steering effort is mostly related to the larger contact area because of your great looking mag wheels and wider tires.

First, add more pressure to your tires, both front and back.
Add 5+ more PSI all around and then compare the steering effort.

Might also demonstrate the difference of having the car rolling while turning the wheels as opposed to turning the steering wheel at a dead stop. Makes a big difference! Just those changes when your wife is driving may answer her concerns.

I know you love your electronics, but in this case, try the basic approach first, eh? smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: February 09, 2018 06:12PM

Re the hydraulics - I guess you can still buy that stuff - it might or might not cooperate with quicker steering arms. You'd still have slow steering.
But you sure wouldn't have to worry about cooling the P/S fluid!

I am considering a power R&P at some point for my mutant. The P/S pump is already there on the 3800 that's going in, to start with it will just be a well-lubricated idler pulley.

With quick-ish steering, bigger tires, a bit more weight on the nose, and a smallish steering wheel, driving my car can be an upper body workout!

Jay Maechtlen
El Monte, Ca
Yes, it started out in life as a 61 2door.
It has a custom fiberglass skin, and a transverse 3.8 Buick.

Date: February 11, 2018 01:34PM

Thanks for all the replies! smiling smiley

I got an email from a friend about the EPAS system and have been looking to see if it would be something I would or could install in my 1967 Monza. confused smiley

1. I don't think there is a "problem" with standard steering. eye rolling smiley
2. Steering with the new wheels and tires is good! (Thanks for showing the picture!). grinning smiley
3. In some cases age and arthritis make a difference. sad smiley
4. ALL "modern cars" come with Power Steering. eye rolling smiley
5. NO HYDRAULICS!! hot smiley

IF I decide to try it I will take pictures and write it up here! winking smiley

Any more comments gratefully accepted!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: February 11, 2018 04:23PM

Dale, I believe it was John Black who had the mid engine V8 car at the Knoxville convention. This car had a power rack and pinion from some Chrysler product. John lives near Pittsburgh and will be at the CORSA convention this year. You could see it there. I don't remember if it was a hydraulic or an electric system. Jim

Posted by: chanceparker ()
Date: February 11, 2018 04:41PM

John's car has a hydraulic R&P system he fabricated from a Chrysler LH car (Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, etc.). I'm pretty sure when I talked with him he told me he used the 1st-generation rack used from 1993-1997.

Here are links to his short write-up about it. Scroll down the page to the March 2015 heading.

John and Cory Black's V8 Corvair

It's definitely intriguing...enough so that I'm going to try something similar on my next project.

Chance Parker
Golden, Colorado
Auminum LS-powered 1965 Corsa Convertible

More Pictures

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.