Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
New guy with a coil spring issue
Posted by: Bernie ()
Date: February 08, 2018 12:00PM

Hey, my name is Bernard, I live in Spokane, WA, and I've been working on a 1965 Monza vert for a while now.

Currently, I have the powertrain removed from the car as I have been doing some seal replacing and clean up.

I decided that a fun project would be to replace my rear springs with Clarks HD springs. I followed the shop manual and all went well on the driver's side, but I think I may have an issue with the spring seating on the passengers side. I attached some photos showing how the spring is seating.

Need some thoughts.

Thanks

Attachments:
Re: New guy with a coil spring issue
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: February 08, 2018 12:18PM

I don't see anything abnormal there but your pictures are not the greatest. What is the problem? You can rotate the spring to get it clocked in the correct position. It won't seat fully until you drop the car and compress the spring.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: February 08, 2018 12:23PM

Hey,Nate thank you for the reply. Sorry, about the poor photography. I suspected that the spring will conform better under load once I put my powertrain back in (this weekend) I was just a little worried.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 08, 2018 12:31PM

Welcome to the CCF!! As Nate states....nothing to be concerned with...

When resizing pics.... stick to 1028x764 or smaller.. I resized this one...

When you say HD springs..... sport springs that lower the car 1", or Convertible / AC springs that carry the extra weight?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 08, 2018 01:24PM

Thanks for in info Matt. These are sport springs to lower.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 08, 2018 01:59PM

Looks pretty normal. I just keep the bottom of the spring in its pocket against the little stop and then compress it into place. Sometimes they will want to be a little off center at the top initially. Application of a pry bar during the early stages of compression can be used to persuade them into place. Never had an issue even if the top of the spring does not fall all the way into its recess as long as the bottom of it is in the right place. From what I have seen some new springs will not hit both ends perfectly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 08, 2018 03:11PM

Thanks Ted, it was my lack of confidence that was getting me!

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: February 08, 2018 05:59PM

Just a suggestion, some of us, have encountered a noise from the front spring pocket when the coil spring end is snug against the stop. Davemotohead posted a year ago that keeping the end of the coil spring, 1/4" or more, away from the stop helps to reduce the subsequent noise.

[corvaircenter.com]

Just a suggestion.

Jimc
1965 Corsa 140/4

Jimc
1965 Corsa
HACOA Member

CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 09, 2018 10:03AM

Since the rear of the Corvair tends to sit low with old springs the most common fix it to just replace the rear springs with new and leave the fronts as is. Usually the car will sit level.

The H.D. spring label GM used is more like a racing option as they lowered the car about 1" as Matt said. Now you may have to cut the front springs to level the car.

I'm OLD and want the car higher for ease of entry. I left the front springs original and put in NEW STANDARD convertible springs in the rear of my convertible - sits nice and level.

You want the spring ends about equal from the stops on top and bottom (about 1/4 - 1/2") when you install them or when the spring compresses they will bind against the stops.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: February 09, 2018 10:17AM

I ground down the end of the spring to remove the sharp end digging into its perch....no problems...one trick my ol super mechanic told me to do as placing the spring in the correct place...USE A 14" PLUMBERS WRENCH to grab one of the coils and this makes moving the spring real easy...even put a pipe on the end of the handle of the pipe wrench.

Date: February 09, 2018 10:49AM

66vairman, thanks for the info. Ill definitely be cutting my front springs as I like a lower look, and some improved handling.

I was under the impression, the spring had to conform to the stop, apparently 1/4 of in inch away is best. These are the rear springs, so no big deal to reseat them.

Part of the issue is I haven't put any load on them, since my powertrain is out of the car.

My concern was the spring was no indexing so well on the bottom, but I believe a little weight will help make the spring sit a little better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.