Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Flickering L.E.D.s, whats up with that?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 08, 2018 10:35AM

Tuesday evening on my way home from a W.C.C. gathering, I had a car try to pull right out in front of me.
It seems that my L.E.D. running lights are flickering and he thought my blinker was on.
So, for you L.E.D. guys, what is causing my lights to flicker?
I have checked them out and they randomly turn themselves off & on!
No consistent pattern to them.
Sometimes both go out,
Sometimes just one side then the other.
Sometimes one real fast and the other blinking slowly.
And sometimes they will stay on for quite a while and then go disco again!
Yes, they are tight in their sockets, I checked that.

For what it is worth, I have a set of AZDAVE's clear lenses, with switch-back L.E.D.s in the car.
White running lights, and amber turns.
It is the whites that are flickering.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Re: Flickering L.E.D.s, whats up with that?
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 08, 2018 10:48AM

CHINA , these LED's are not without problems sad smiley

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 08, 2018 10:50AM

I think it's just the light itself... Had one marker light on my Jeep.. changed it out and all is well.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 08, 2018 11:29AM

Might not be the same thing, but I have this worklight that is now sporadic.
The leds are stacked vertically into 3 banks, and a bank or two will start flickering or go out after using for a while.

Yep. Made in China.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 08, 2018 11:49AM

There are a lot of junk LED's on the market, although not a bad as couple of years ago.

I was going to install the H4 healamp housing with the halo LED ring. The seller's site said out of stock. I called to see when they would be in stock and was told "About half the units we sold came back defective within a month - so we no longer sell them". Went to forums and found none of the units were reliable. So that idea got dropped!

Posted by: macpac ()
Date: February 08, 2018 12:43PM

Hello Mel, aside from the China syndrome and a potential flasher unit fault, wet weather and dampness can play a part in the temperamental led and housing issue. I would suggest checking the connections, including flasher unit ground.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you at the next meeting.

Gary
Member of Corsa West
Member of Western Canada Corsa
'64 Spyder convertible
'57 Olds 98 convertible

pics of '64 Corvair restoration 2016

[photos.google.com]

Date: February 08, 2018 01:25PM

I got them from superbrightleds.com because I had been assured that they sold only quality L.E.D.s.
It should not be the flasher unit, because it is the park/running lights, not the blinkers.
Considering the weather we have been having lately, I guess it would be an understatement to say that there has been some dampness in the air. eye rolling smiley
The switchbacks give it a nice look at night, but for now, I guess I will have to put some amber 1157's back in there just to stay alive.
Better safe than COOL, I guess.sad smiley

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: February 08, 2018 04:57PM

Should hook up a test light on the power wire to the bulb to make sure it stays on when the bulb goes out. [when lights are on]

Date: February 08, 2018 05:04PM

solo2r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should hook up a test light on the power wire to
> the bulb to make sure it stays on when the bulb
> goes out.

Yes, I guess that would not hurt.
Though the old incandescent bulbs never went twitchy on me.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 08, 2018 05:51PM

Superbrite seems to be a middle man. I've had good luck with their LED basic bulbs, but some of their products get complaints.

If the new units worked fine for awhile, then something has changed to cause an issue. Connections? Product failure? Did you install the bulbs with some di-electric grease in the socket?

BTW - I posted a link for using basic LED's from Superbrite. I also confirmed that when you have LED's in the front, back, and dash indicator the LED's WOULD NOT blink when the running lamps were on (otherwise fine). Installing a 1.1K ohm bleed down resistor between LED positive input and ground solved the issue. Remember LED's are diodes that stop conducting BEFORE the voltage drops to zero. Of course how the power regulation circuit works is nice to know, but most manufacturers will NOT supply that information.

Posted by: ken ()
Date: February 08, 2018 06:48PM

I have a household LED light in my den that flickers now and then . It seems to happen about every four of five days. Might be an LED characteristic .

Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: February 08, 2018 06:59PM

LED - Latent Erratic Dimming........
A product that lives up to it's name! Order Now!grinning smiley

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 02:13AM

I put some $100 LED headlights on my daily driver Jeep, while reading the literature on them there was talk of flicker and how to eliminate it but I can't remember what it was, mine don't do it, mine are made in a place called USA, may be the reason or may be because they cost 5 times as much as the cheap ones but so far they are living up to the reviews.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: February 09, 2018 05:46AM

While there certainly are plenty of crappy LEDs out there one thing to consider is the different operating characteristics of incandescent and LED. Brief interruptions of the circuit operating an incandescent bulb would not be noticed as the light is produced by heating the filament and it continues to glow during short breaks. LEDs being solid state devices have very fast on/off times so an "issue" that doesn't show with bulbs may with LEDs.
Also if you are going to test the voltage to the circuit you can't use an incandescent test lamp. Almost seems like it would be time to haul out the 'scope.
I've added the clear lenses and switchback white/yellow to mine and so far OK. Haven't got them wired as DRLs yet, just have to remember to turn off my parking lights.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 09, 2018 06:47AM

If you find that the LEDs themselves are at fault I would not be surprised. That would be my guess, especially since you mention it is the white LEDs that are on more often because I assume you use them all the time as DRLs. When they flicker, can you tell if all white LEDs are flickering in unison or just some of them?

I literally have a drawer full of PNP 1157 and 1156 LED light bulbs that when purchased, every single seller claimed was the latest and the greatest and would last forever.

LEDs fail when they get too hot. Random flickering or pulsing is a common sign of an LED that has been pushed too far. Some better bulb designs use a current limiting driver that reduces current when they get too hot but most bulbs use only crude series resistors that don't adapt to voltage changes or monitor the heat or current. In order to make these bulbs brighter, makers will push the LED current limits knowing they will still work great for a month or two before the troubles begin. They know only a small percentage of people will return them.

Packing too many high-current LEDs into a small format intended for hot filament bulbs is a major compromise to their longevity. Yes, LEDs are more efficient than filament bulbs but still give off considerable heat and when that heat is concentrated into one small housing with no external heat sinks and no air circulation, you can't expect the LEDs to do well.

If you wish to continue using PNP LEDs you can try to help matters by coating heat sink grease on the sockets so that the heat generated in the bulb has an easier path to the bulb socket and in turn to the metal housing we luckily have in our old classics. Newer cars with mostly plastic 3156 and 3157 bulb bases and full plastic housings are even worse when it come to trying to flow heat away from the LEDs sealed up inside.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 09, 2018 08:51AM

Two very excellent replies. As a side note my headlight LEDs have fans built in too.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: February 09, 2018 10:09AM

azdave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> LEDs fail when they get too hot. Random flickering
> or pulsing is a common sign of an LED that has
> been pushed too far.
Some better bulb designs use
> a current limiting driver that reduces current
> when they get too hot but most bulbs use only
> crude series resistors that don't adapt to voltage
> changes or monitor the heat or current.
In order
> to make these bulbs brighter, makers will push the
> LED current limits knowing they will still work
> great for a month or two before the troubles
> begin. They know only a small percentage of people
> will return them.
>

Ahhhh!
I did just change my Alternator because of over charging. eye rolling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.