Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FS: REAL early brake release 1960?? info??
Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: February 05, 2018 11:47AM

Poking around in some old boxes today in my shed I ran across what looks to be a very early '60 brake release. It's the one with the plastic handle that says "brake release" and looks to mount under the dash. Someone took the handle off of the actual mechanism but it does release and is complete.
Anyone tell me more about this part? Willing to sell.EddieB Dade City,Fl

forsale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:55AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FS: REAL early brake release 1960?? info??
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 05, 2018 12:44PM

Best descriptive article I have seen was in COMMUNIQUE but I don't recall how
long ago. Probably Caveman Pete or Mel are your best sources of info. Try PM to Pete too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 06, 2018 06:56AM

It is early 1960 only.

Surprisingly, there are quite a few around, and NOS show up on eBay now and then. I think the last one sold for around $20.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: February 06, 2018 08:39AM

The first design parking brake lever with the t-handle release was the subject of a "recall" back in the very early days of the 1960 Corvair model year . Dealers were told to replace all first-design ratcheting handles with the revised squeeze and release handle that we are familiar with on all later Corvairs (later than the very first batch of '60's). After performing the repair the dealers were supposed to retain the old parts for a period of time and then damage them and dispose of the scrap. Not all dealers followed this rule. That is why we find some parts even today. The problem with the first design was that once the brake was set the handle returned to the at-rest position. You couldn't tell if the parking brake was on or off by looking at the handle. Another problem was that the customer could pull up on the handle repeated times and really stretch the parking brake cable - or break it if he/she had enough arm strength.

The CPF has a NOS first-design handle and it should be down at the new Corvair museum in Decatur, IL. - CP

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: February 06, 2018 08:47AM

Thanks for the info guys. I don't recall where I got this but I guess it will revert back to the box I found it in,unless someone really has to have it. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 06, 2018 10:29AM

If you found it in a GM box, then it was part of the original 1960 ISO (initial stocking order). Most dealerships never kept used parts unless they thought that it could be reused in a future repair, which these brake releases don't fit into that category. I found many NOS in the box when I was picking dealership parts rooms, and didn't bother to take them, since I felt that there was no marketable value to be had. The same with the 1955 - 1965(?) V-8 tie down cables that GM supplied to the dealers to retrofit to the cars to prevent accelerator pedal jams in the event of a motor mount failure. Later on, they came out with a "safety" motor mount as a warranty replacement for the originals that were prone to breaking.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 06, 2018 10:50AM

Caveman stuff

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Attachments:
Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: February 11, 2018 11:32AM

The box that my first-design parking brake handle is in has a note on the outside that is was the result of the "Campaign 11/59", which means that Chevrolet called the repair action a campaign and was subject to the same rules as ordinary warranty replaced parts: retain them - damage them beyond further use and then scrap them. Looks like the bulletin that directed dealers to change the part happened around November of 1959. That's just a month after the '60's hit the streets.

The other "campaign" early on in the Corvair's life was the modification of the air cleaner assembly. A kit was supplied to allow hot air from the cylinder jug area to be brought up to the inlet of the cleaner assembly. The first design air cleaner had just a short, straight pipe that opened to the front of the engine compartment. Due to carb icing the new design had the inlet coming out and up and then facing back toward the rear of the compartment. I know of only one Corvair that still has this feature - #272 that is hiding up in Canada. My #375 will have this part once I get the car put back together along with the first-design ratcheting brake handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.