Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Another stupid fuel pump failure - 18 mo/ 1 mile
Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: February 05, 2018 04:16PM

I went wlectric in the tank and a dummy pump in the enginebay. The short time I drove my68 I went through 2 and said that’s it.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: February 05, 2018 04:32PM

I feel your pain. After all the issues I had up to last summer..... I installed an electric pump. I'm never looking back.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 05, 2018 05:27PM

I did have one electric pump fail, it was a tricky sucker too, would work, then not, then work, then not. Made noise but no flow.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: February 05, 2018 05:58PM

What the heck is the issue with replacement fuel pumps???

The original fuel pump in my 25k miles 69 Monza 140 convertible still works fine.

What the heck CHANGED!!

Is it ethanol gas?

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 05, 2018 06:08PM

I gave up on mech. fuel pumps in 2003... I went through 2 or 3 in a few days,
each time the answer was "well you are doing it wrong" or "that's weird, we will send another" or fill in the blank... Fortunately, I had an original
A/C pump to get by on until I was able to convert to a in tank electric pump
from The Source. That pump went 40000 miles, and the next pump lasted long enough until I converted to EFI.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: February 05, 2018 06:35PM

john.jackson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the heck is the issue with replacement fuel
> pumps???
>
> The original fuel pump in my 25k miles 69 Monza
> 140 convertible still works fine.
>
> What the heck CHANGED!!
>
> Is it ethanol gas?

Cheap manufacturing, bad quality control, and no cares from the manufacturer to fix it.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: February 05, 2018 06:41PM

I replaced a Spectra 4-6 psi pump on a Rampside last summer that looked like it had been in place for a few years. While you were driving it would die or just bog down at times. The pump never quit running but the pressure would slowly drop off at times.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 06, 2018 04:30AM

I have not had the diaphragm fail in them but I have found the Airtex and Spectra pumps have a much thinner gasket on the bottom that has been the source of leaks that I experienced. I typically save the old AC pumps and swipe the lower gasket and spring. I also use longer bolts and nuts. Have several like this that seem to be holding up fine now. But I agree that you shouldn't have to modify a new part to make it work properly.

Lee J

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 06, 2018 09:20AM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll say it again: I'm so done with these POC
> pumps we're buying so it's "all-electric" for me
> until somebody makes a durable mechanical pump.hot smiley

Craig, Care to sell me the 2 pumps that leaked in short order? PM me your price plus shipping.
Thanks.

Posted by: bwells ()
Date: February 06, 2018 11:33AM

Folks,

It was not materials in the last couple I bought that was the issue. It was poor workmanship in assembly. The valves were not staked down properly against the gaskets and one of the gaskets was not seated properly before staking. I agree that the castings are also not being machined flat and the large bottom seal is having difficulty correcting for this.
Nobody should have to repair brand new fuel system parts.

Bill Wells
North Texas Corvair Assoc.
www.northtexascorvair.org
61 Ramp
65 Corsa

Attachments:

Re: Another ridiculous fuel pump failure - 18 mo/ 1 mile
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 07, 2018 04:45AM

I bought a mechanical pump from O'Reillys last fall, they repackage them in their "Precision" box. I think it was part of the most recent run of fuel pumps as there was nothing in the O'Reillys system prior to that. It was also after the time that California Corvairs and Clarks were out of stock and then got a shipment at about the same time. The "date tag" on this pump was in the future at the time of purchase. I believe it is an Airtex pump.
I installed it on a 140 and it was producing about 6#s of pressure, a little high for Rochesters and a lot high for Cater YH, but down from some pumps in previous batches.
I've only run it 1/2 hour and not on the road yet, it's been okay so far. I did have trouble with a carburetor experiencing cluster drip, I disassembled the pump and cut a coil and reformed the end which got the pressure below 5#s but excessive fuel pressure was not the source of my Rochester problem. The rubber in the pump seemed to be a more robust material than previously, I did not check the valve staking since that problem has been corrected in Airtex pumps for a few years now.
I never tried the AC branded pumps being sold on Ebay. I had a feeling they were not the good old originals but of course we can't base anything on my feelings.
Sometimes the pumps will weep out the back for a time when they've been not used but quit after they run for a bit. That's certainly not a good thing but something I've seen. There's some anxiety with all the electricity in the neighborhood. Sometimes they will blow vapor out of the top center hole which is worse.
I keep trying to make the mechanical pump work and remain optimistic about the most recent batch which arrived last Fall or so, I think from Airtex. It seems like they are trying, they did bring the manufacturing back to the USA from Mexico and recalled pumps a few years ago when the lack of valve staking was the big problem. I sure wish they would get the pressure down, the company guy said 5 1/2 - 7 was the spec when I called, I told him 3 1/2 was more like it, he said he would pass the information along but who knows how that went.
Some folks here seem to be better at fixing them than I am and I would sure welcome more advice or input.
Maybe I should just give up and go all electric like others have done, I'm certainly not against electric fuel pumps, I just think that the mechanical should be doable. I like having one in stock locally.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 07, 2018 07:00AM

I bought three NOS A/C pumps off Ebay,the first one i believe is still in my old 68 and the other has been in my 64 now for almost 3 years no issues.The 3rd as a spare. These are/were my daily drivers. Mike

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: February 07, 2018 07:08AM

I converted to electric for this very reason on mine. I got tired of dealing with pump failures.

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: February 07, 2018 08:59AM

Only time a fuel pump has stranded me was an electric.

None of my mechanical pumps are "new" though.

-Travis

'65 Corsa; '63 Convertible; '62 Wagon; '65 4 Door
Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: February 07, 2018 09:00AM

This seems to be a Corvair-only problem. Any idea why? I also have a 73 Nova and have had no problems with a new pump I installed a couple of years ago, nor have I found problems mentioned on the Nova forums.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 07, 2018 09:18AM

I think it's about the numbers, not many Corvair pumps are sold in the grand scheme of things. Also the gas leaking into the crankcase thing is a Corvair peculiarity, most hang the fuel pump off the side of the engine.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 07, 2018 10:10AM

They might hang them off the side of the engine, but I heard of oil dilution from leaking fuel pumps on those other engines from the time I started being interested in cars, the late 60s!

Including the exploding oil pan story (fuel pump bad, leaked fuel into crankcase, worn engine, flame front got past rings and ignited crankcase fumes).

Look at any side mount pump, the lever arm pocket connects directly to the crankcase.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 07, 2018 11:04AM

And here we are again - Too much inaccurate information being repeated.

It's a wonder anyone will even drive their Corvairs.

Lon Wall
2 million miles exclusively on mechanical pumps including my 64 greenbrier daily driver today

Lon Wall

Fireman Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad #25 #2
OCSRR.com
Fireman Sumpter Valley Railroad #3 and #19
svry.com
www.pacificmodelloggerscongress.com

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: February 07, 2018 11:18AM

Frank is right!

Back in the 'old days' I was working at a Shell station while I was in High School (Summer Job) and they had 'real' mechanics (and me) working there.

A lady pulled in with a Station Wagon that had the front windshield covered with oil that was blowing out from under the hood. Her husband came in behind her, told the head mechanic to "fix it" and took off with the wife and kids.

It didn't take long to see the crankcase was full of gas, the inside of the engine compartment was soaked. We all said "Bad Fuel Pump" and ordered a new one. The boss told me to put it on a lift, drain the crankcase, put on a new Oil Filter and after the new pump was put on put in the correct oil. I had a heck of a time changing the filter and when I got it off the passages were caked with carbon! The car was about 6 years old and this was the ORIGINAL Oil Filter!

We did all that, cleaned up all the mess and waited for them to come get the car.

When they came to pick it up the husband had a complete 'fit' saying we were trying to steal money from him by doing things that "should never be done" to a car!

He thought that oil and filter changes were just a "way to steal money" and should never be done. He could not understand that we could not remove the gas from the original oil and wanted to sue all of us who had worked on the car!

WHAT AN IDIOT! He came back with a state cop who was a friend. The cop listened to what had happened and then told the man "Your lucky the car didn't blow up and kill your wife an kids." He then thanked us for fixing it.

The guy was still upset and said he would never come back.

We all thanked him for that!!!

What strange lessons we learn.

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: February 07, 2018 01:18PM

My B-I-L has a '57 Chevy V8 and went on a route 66 tour last fall. He had so many mechanical pump failures he converted to electric on the road!

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.