home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's the difference between a 65 v 67 wiper switch?
Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: February 04, 2018 01:16PM

My '65 Corsa wiper switch is bad and I've noticed that Clark's advertises two late model wiper switch replacements, but they are specifically for a '65 single speed (CX884) and a dual speed switch with washer just for '67-'69 (C2806A). They don't appear to have a '65 two speed replacement switch.

So is the difference with the wire connections, or something else? And more importantly, what recommendations do you have for finding a fully functioning '65 wiper switch replacement?

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
thomas.ratliff@indwes.edu

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the difference between a 65 v 67 wiper switch?
Date: February 04, 2018 02:12PM

Part number at Clarks for a Two-Speed wiper/washer switch: C1327

In 1965 the standard system was a single speed wiper only. Options included a two-speed wiper/washer upgrade.
In 1966 all GM cars were made with the Two-Speed wiper/washer as part of the GM promotion of safety in their automobiles. Padded dash on Corvairs also moved from "opition" to Standard in 1966 as well...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 04, 2018 02:25PM

Well that helps. Thanks for sharing the part number. I wonder why they don't have the link to this in their online catalog on pages 84B or 212.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Date: February 04, 2018 04:30PM

Sir Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well that helps. Thanks for sharing the part
> number. I wonder why they don't have the link to
> this in their online catalog on pages 84B or 212.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You're welcome, Sir!
I found it by clicking the link right above the switch listings in pg. 212:
"See NOS pg44 for applications not listed"

Think of the Clark's catalog as a mentally stimulating puzzle... smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 04, 2018 06:55PM

65-6 switch is different from 67-9. Activation of washer requires different knobs between the two.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 04, 2018 08:00PM

Thomas - If you haven't had the switch out yet note that one lead comes from the wiring harness (used on single speed). A separate two wire harness was added for the two speed/washer function that runs across the entire dash to the wiper motor.

So instead of one connector at the wiper switch for the three terminals there are two connectors (two speed/washer).

Even though the two speed/washer was standard in 66 the additional two wire harness was still used.

One of the oddest options was the 65 SINGLE SPEED washer option. It's in the option book, but I could not find it in the wiring diagrams or assembly manual. I suspect few were sold.

Date: February 05, 2018 05:18AM

Thanks for the explanations. Yes, I have my wiper switch out currently after having changed the fuse, tested every wire for conductivity, separately tested both speeds of the wiper motor and the functionality of the washer, it all came down to my switch. I noted the two wiring connections as you reference. I agree, the idea of a '65 single speed wiper option feels a little odd, but such might have been attractive to someone back in the day.

I'm looking around for a fully functioning '65 two-speed wiper switch.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 05, 2018 06:41AM

Almost all wiper switch problems boil down to an loss of contact between the internal switch mechanism and the switch body.

The internal mechanism is held to the back of the switch by an exposed copper (brass?) rivet.

99% of the time,(give or take 1% grinning smiley) if you solder a wire to the exposed rivet and then ground that wire somewhere under the dash, the switch will be permanently fixed.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: February 05, 2018 08:04AM

I also solder a wire to the copper rivet for a ground.

I've had a few of these switches apart to rebuild them. It's doable if you are very careful. Some dielectric grease makes them work very nice.

The internal ground to case and case ground to the back of the dash is a notorious problem.

The ground wire takes care of both issues. See pics.

Attachments:

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 05, 2018 08:30AM

Very impressive people. Especially when working on what was considered a non serviceable part.

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: February 05, 2018 08:43AM

Just to set the record straight the single speed wiper without washer was standard on all Corvairs regardless of model in 1965 with a two speed wiper with washer optional on all, which is probably why GM decided to use the separate harness. No other wiper option was available assembly line installed. However, a dealer installed accessory, PN 986048, was available for those who wanted to add a washer to their standard single speed wiper equipped car.
Cheers!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 05, 2018 08:48AM

As for the original question...

The 65-5 two-speed switch has a slender washer-activation button in the center of the knob. (See picture above)

The 67-9 switch does not have the slender, central washer button. Instead, the 67-9 washer is activated by pushing the entire mushroom-shaped knob forward; a safety feature in GM cars where the switch position might become a dangerous pressure-point in a crash.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: February 05, 2018 09:07AM

The headlamp and wiper switches were lubed and when it dries out you have contact problems adding resistance and heating the contacts. The contacts are usually covered with oxide.

I clean all the old grease out and use some Brasso and a dremel to clean up the contacts. That's why they look so bright. Coat the mechanism and contacts with di-electric grease and it will work like new.

The push-button mechanism will go in two different ways, and only one way works. Test that BEFORE you swage the hosing to hold things together.

Date: February 05, 2018 09:23AM

NMCarNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to set the record straight the single speed
> wiper without washer was standard on all Corvairs
> regardless of model in 1965 with a two speed wiper
> with washer optional on all, which is probably why
> GM decided to use the separate harness. No other
> wiper option was available assembly line
> installed. However, a dealer installed accessory,
> PN 986048, was available for those who wanted to
> add a washer to their standard single speed wiper
> equipped car.
> Cheers!

Thanks for the information. I don't have the a 65 model Accessories Catalog.
If anybody can find the installation diagrams and .pdf them please drop me a PM. Thanks again.

Date: February 10, 2018 01:10PM

The advice to solder a separate ground wire to the brass rivet was spot on. It took four different types of solder before I found one that stuck, 63/37, but it was great when it finally did. I have a working wiper/washer motor again. Thanks!

Yet, my fun continues. I bought a new washer pump unit, identical to the one Clark's sells (C7890). It came with a plastic four prong wheel apparently to replace the metal one attached to the wiper motor shaft with instructions that it is "important" to replace it. I have not yet, but mounted the unit in place to see if it works. It is getting power and the electric magnet is pulling the lever to the right as it should, however, it is as if the swing of the lever arm is too short as it is not grabbing and pulling the pump gear. Close, but not turning it.

So in light of the fact that their "important" requirement may be legit, I need to know how to take the metal four-prong gear wheel off of the wiper motor shaft. How do we take those off?

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: February 10, 2018 02:23PM

I did an install using the Clark's replacement pump not to long ago. The instructions that came with the pump said that the gear would come off with a gentle prying. Such was not the case. I ended up going to the hardware store and purchased 2-3"machine screws with matching square nuts to thread on the screws.I then threaded the square nut on each screw. I put the screw right against the gear with square nut under the gear. I put the other screw with square nut 180°across from the other screw. I had to enlist a helper to hold the screw from wandering. I then turned each screw a few turns making sure that the square nut stays underneath the gear and it slowly pulls up on the gear removing it. A little long winded, but works like a champ,and only took a minute once set-up.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Date: February 10, 2018 05:10PM

Nice approach, Fred. After reading your post I took a similar approach, although when the first two tries didn't work I dug out my steering wheel puller and with some creativity was able to get it to work. The factory gear is now off. Hurrah!

So now 20 minutes later I'm humbled to have to ask, how do I get that plastic replacement onto the stem? I've tried a couple of methods so far and haven't had any luck pressing a little plastic gear into place. Is there a trick of the trade?

Getting a working windshield washer operational on my car is becoming one of the longest, most tedious projects I've attempted, which seems crazy for something I hope to never have to use.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Date: February 10, 2018 05:44PM

Fred and Thoamas - Were your pumps bad?

In the past I've been able to get everything cleaned up and working except the plastic bellows, which are still sold at place like Classic Industries for 63-88 Chevies.

Date: February 10, 2018 07:35PM

66vairman, I'm not familiar enough with the pumps to know for sure whether my factory one is actually bad, but it was making a really loud click sound whenever the wiper motor ran, whether or not I was engaging the washer and I couldn't get a liquid flow going. Perhaps with a little attention it might be fine, it's just attention I'm not currently knowledgeable enough to give it so purchasing new fit my needs... at least it will when I get that little plastic gear on, I hope.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 11, 2018 12:52PM

Here's information that could be of some use:

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.