Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
GPS Speedometer
Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: February 03, 2018 11:40AM

I am thinking of the replacing the aftermarket one in the V8 Corvair (not reading correctly. Sticks at 120 mph Ha Ha) with a GPS speedometer. A lot of options out there with prices all over the place. Any suggestions for a for a moderately priced one.
Thanks
Jeff

Wildomar,Ca

1965 Corsa Hard Top
!965 Corsa Convertible
1968 Monza 140 Convertible 4 speed
1966 435 HP Crown
1986 Buick GN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GPS Speedometer
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 03, 2018 12:11PM

Jeff The "value" one I saw was from VDO. They have a few different ranges. Their electronic ones can be driven by a Magnetic pulse - like from an ABS sender, or a hall effect sender, like most factory speedos since 1990 or a GPS piece they sell that mounts near the radio speaker on the Corvair. You could probably put a pulse reader/pick-up on the Corvair diff, with a set of magnets on one of the drive shafts. We did that to drive cruise controls back in the 70's. Pretty easy.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 03, 2018 12:18PM

GPS... doesn't it determine speed from Satellites? Just like your phone or a Garmen. etc.??

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 03, 2018 12:22PM

Yes it does, Matt. Most of the GPS units have some kind of "Electronic memory" built in for stability, so the MPH doesn't drop to zero when you stop in an underpass. Long tunnels might confuse it.

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: February 03, 2018 01:49PM

Speedhut allows you to customize colors/logos/numbers and it works just fine with the puck sitting up on dash. *** this one doesn't go high enough for you does it eye popping smiley

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 01:50PM by kmart356.

Attachments:
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 03, 2018 02:26PM

Or try this until you decide

[play.google.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 03, 2018 03:37PM

As Matt brings up, why not use your cell phone?
I have about 3 different Speedometer apps on my phone, and they have not gotten me into any trouble yet.
I have passed cops using it rather than the slower reading car speedometer and not had them blink an eye.

Why do I have more than one?
Half of my driving is across the border in Canuckville, and the Vair speedo does not have Kilometers as you know.
And then one is a fun performance one that records acceleration and such.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 03, 2018 04:02PM

A friend of mine in Maine got a new snow mobile last year. Around 1000cc. Anyway his speedo app can transmit his speed and location to another phone. That was all fun until he got a text from his wife. 94 MPH "REALLY" WAYT

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 03, 2018 04:59PM

HA HA HA ! ! !
thumbs upthumbs up

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: February 03, 2018 04:59PM

I have Speedhut gauges and they are a good quality I was just hoping to get away with a cheaper unit. I guess you get what you pay for.
Jeff

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 03, 2018 05:03PM

Some of the GPS speedometers are self contained, not great in a car with a metal dash board.

A few years back a Crown V8 club member installed an electronic speedometer and was having constant problems with the magnetic pulse pick up. He found a GPS sender that put out a pulse rate compatible with his electronic speedometer. He mounted the GPS module (small) on top of the dash and it has worked great.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:43AM

You might want to try James Moss' design called Digi HUD Speedometer.
HUD just means heads up display. I wondered why the heck it was called Digi HUD and my buddies that I go biking with said hey ya bonehead dunce, don't ya get it, they call it that because you get the speedo HEADS UP DISPLAY on the screen of your phone.......so duh, yeah I get it......HUD for heads up display.
Digi HUD Speedometer ap is FREE
I like it. Some young twenty-something couple that we met while riding the Silver Comet Trail a few weeks ago showed up their favorite GPS speedo aps for bike riding. They used a couple of aps but the young man's girlfriend, a nurse from Nashville, liked the simplicity of the limited and simple display of the Digi HUD ap the best because there isn't too much info on the screen.
They asked us where we got our phone holders that were mounted on our bikes.
They were great people and we had swapped some stories and they asked us about the Silver Comet Trail. We said it is great but never ride it alone or just a two some, always three or more because, bandits and muggers have been known to take advantage of when its just two in the scenic middle of nowhere. There are huge crowds on the Trail most weekends but the majority don't go longer distances, and those who do tend to travel alone or in small groups.
They have full-time police patrols out there but the trail goes for about sixty miles on what is a paved former railroad line.
The old farts learned alot about the many different GPS speedo aps that you can put into your phone, and I think our young friends from Nashville were amazed that the old people they met were in such good shape, to ride, or either they may have been amazed that these old people were too stupid to know that our bike journey could be as my wife put it: "an I've fallen and can't get up, moment..."
You do need to be prepared because a punctured tube could have you walking for miles before the police give you a ride back. They(the police there) will assist with changing a tube if needed.. If you ever do a long trail, take a spare tube or a patch kit and a pump, along with plenty of water and a fully charged phone, and NEVER GO ALONE.....always three or more.....it's more fun and SAFETY in numbers.

HERE IS THE info on the FREE Digi HUD Speedometer
[play.google.com]

HERE IS A SEPT 2017 Article on a best "Top 5 List of GPS speedo aps"
The Digi HUD ranks number five on that author's list.
[www.dailydot.com]

---------------------------------
Now, how in the heck do you MOUNT your phone in your CORVAIR or any old vintage car with a metal dash, without the usual AC vents and consoles ?
+ YOU EPOXY (or JB Weld) AN OLD MAGNET FROM A LOUDSPEAKER OR THAT MAGNET BAR THAT Harbour Freight SOMETIMES GIVES AWAY WITH THE FREE COUPON (you know that magnet that holds tools...).......WELL YOU EPOXY SUCH A STRONG MAGNET TO THIS $4 PHONE HOLDER (see Ebay#372151597659 )
This no-name "el cheapo" $4 phone holder for bikes is actually great and functions better than any that I've ever owned. I have them on our bikes, and have one on my old Bag Boy golf pull cart.....yeah I walk but I don't carry the sticks anymore....I use the fifties/sixties era Bag Boy....comes in handy if you're trying to hustle some bets...they see the Dynapower Staff blades and the Bag Boy and guess that the old fart can't break 90 but don't realize that this old fart has an 8 handicap and plays it down from the back tees.
TO MOUNT THE MAGNET TO THIS $4 PHONE HOLDER THINGY FOR BIKES, IT IS fAIRLY EASY AS YOU HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH SOLID PLASTIC ONCE YOU REMOVE/CUT OFF SOME OF THE HANDLE BAR MOUNT. YOU'LL IMMEDIATELY SEE HOW YOU CAN ATTACH A STRONG MAGNET TO IT. EPOXY and Maybe Some BLACK SEWING THREAD(any color would do..) , YOU MIGHT USE THE SEWING THREAD TO WRAP AROUND THE MAGNET AND THE MODIFIED CUT BASE.....YOU SATURATE THE THREAD WITH EPOXY (do that after you wrap the thread....its not messy doing it that way) --USE THE elcheapo $1.99 quick set 5 min EPOXY from Harbour Freight.....use something like a plastic knife from McDonalds/Kentucky fried Chicken to spread the Epoxy liberally over the thread----ONCE DRY THE Bike Phone Holder now becomes Phone Holder for any METAL DASH vintage car like the CORVAIR.... You don't need to do this for CARS that have typical PLASTIC/METAL AC/heat VENTS Because there are so many $6 phone mount thingys that attach to every type of such AC/heat Vents.
----REMEMBER that you don't need anything of a MAGNET that is larger than a Ping Pong ball or Golf Ball in size. I simply thought of that Harbour Freight flat bar magnet that must be 10 inches to 12 inches long because its strong and cheap...sometimes Free with coupon........you simply break it such that it is 2 1/2 inches or maybe 3 inches long....it still will be plenty strong........An old Loudspeaker Magnet......break it off of the back of an old speaker....would work great............ You don't necessarily need the sewing thread, I simply suggest that as a possible solution if you can't figure out how to help firmly attach the Magnet to the Phone holder thingy along with EPOXY so that there is ZERO chance of the thingy breaking loose from the magnet.....YOU MIGHT THINK OF BETTER ATTACHMENT SOLUTIONS.
I like this particular $4 Bike Phone Holder Thingy because of where its arms squeeze my Android smartphone device.....this thingy also allows tilting/angling/orienting the smartphone whichever way that you need to, and it has finger screws that screw down tight that configuration such that everthing is how you need it. With this particular Phone Holder Thingy, TO RELEASE THE PHONE FROM IT's GRASP, YOU WILL HAVE TO UNSCREW The FINGER SCREWS TO RELEASE IT'S LOCK(grasp) ON THE PHONE.....THIS TAKES AS MUCH AS FIFTEEN SECONDS TO GET YOUR PHONE RELEASED FROM ITS GRASP.......You might find that totally inconvenient that it takes about 15 seconds to unscrew the finger screws to release its grasp of your phone...... OTHER THAN THAT, IT DOES EVERYTHING GREAT.....I THINK IT SECURELY HOLDS THE SMARTPHONE(android) DEVICE BETTER THAN TYPICAL Phone Mount Thingys.
see EBAY #372151597659
[www.ebay.com]:

You may have a better solution.
You know that there are the many suction cup phone mount thingys out there on amazon and ebay...........WHATEVER YOU DO, MAKE CERTAIN THAT YOU GET IT MOUNTED SUCH THAT YOUR PHONE WON"T GO FLYING AROUND AND CAUSE YOU TO HAVE A WRECK.
DO ALL OF YOUR MOUNT AND PLACEMENT LOCATION TESTING IN A REMOTE UNOCCUPIED CAR PARK AREA AWAY FROM TRAFFIC... Distracted Driving and Texting and Driving can lead to serious accidents..... DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE AMAZEMENT OF HAVING YOUR PHONE GIVE YOU A SPEEDO READOUT, THAT YOU LOSE FOCUS ON WHAT IS HAPPENING AROUND YOU ON THE ROAD. You don't want that drive to be your last.
Remember the car's factory speedo is typically located where it is best. Watch the road and what is happening, because you know the other idiots out there are not nearly as attentive and responsible as you are.....Sally's texting her friend Janie while going 38mph and only looking up every four seconds.....Joe the Real Estate man has his left arm holding the phone to his ear while trying to sip from the Starbucks cup held in his right hand, using his left knee to guide his Lincoln Navigator down the road at 47mph..........

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 19, 2018 04:32AM

How about something real simple as this? Even with HUD

Oh yeah. I use Velcro to keep my gadgets in place on the dash. The no slide bag mounts slide everywhere with my cornering. I don't come to a stop to make turns.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 04:36AM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: April 19, 2018 06:00AM

Tunnels, trees and tall buildings, such as in a city. Friend of mine has one in his Jeep CJ, looses signal.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: 180sret ()
Date: April 19, 2018 08:51AM

I'm using AutoMeter gauges in the Crown car, the speedo is GPS. Works well for the most part, sometimes when you fire up and take off it won't read for about a minute.

Gord

Plastic's Replaceable,
Metal's Repairable,
and Pain Heals!

Date: April 19, 2018 05:45PM

Be aware that many of the low cost displays are very easy to use, they just plug into your OBDII plug under the dash and display the data from your computer. Uh, wait a minute . . . . PS - The VDO unit can be driven by almost any method, including GPS or other ways.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: April 19, 2018 08:36PM

I believe, back in the '80s, GM started installing Vehicle Speed Sensors (VSS) in their fuel injected cars. Some were installed on the end of a standard speed-O cable, and fed through to the speed-O. They also had wires to feed the computer. I believe AutoMeter gauges have a very wide range of inputs that can drive there gauges, and will need to be calibrated when installed. Doesn't seem too difficult, and doesn't rely on satellite technology.

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi - TT015
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: April 20, 2018 03:12AM

Inline VSS are available. I installed one when I did the TBI 5.7 in my Jeep many years ago. Their are a couple different signals sent by the VSS, need to make sure the correct one is purchased. This is a TBI/TPI example: [howellefi.com]

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 20, 2018 04:45AM

If you have a lot of tunnels or over passes the GPS speedometer might not be the way to go.

Lee J

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: April 20, 2018 05:33AM

I wonder if there is any way or any one who could change our stock speedometers from mecbanical to electric or GPS?

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.