home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Tach suggestions
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: February 03, 2018 07:25AM

I'm looking at an auto gauge 5 in or autometer sport comp 5-inch monster tach for my 66 Monza. Both are used but working fine. The auto gauge is $60 and the autometer is 100 with shift lights on both. Any suggestions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tach suggestions
Posted by: SoloCP ()
Date: February 03, 2018 07:43AM

Are you trying to mount this into a gauge cluster or just mounting on the column or top of the dash ? Are you trying to look period correct ? If so try to find like a Air Guide Tach and have it converted to electronic. On the above I had good luck with Autometer.

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
Broken Halo Corvair Garage.
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed
64 Spyder Coupe (Bill Pierson Car)
64 Monza Convertible,140/4 Speed,Electric Heat,Kelsey Hayes Wheels
64 Spyder Blown, (Dave Bolduc Car)
64 Monza Convertible 110/Auto (Future Project)
65 Corsa 3.1 Liter Triple Weber (aka Unsafe)
65 Corsa 140/4 Speed with Triple Weber
66 Avenger, Corvair Turbo, Fuel Injected, Air to Water intercool 140. (Michael Mann Car)
67 Monza 110 Auto. Sugar Bear

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 03, 2018 07:47AM

Is this for a race car where you will be shifting?

If so then get the shift light one, ooopps, just looked both have shift lights! What I have found is if you have to shift and are in traffic on the track you don't want to have to look at the tach wondering if you have to shift all the while you are coming up to a corner! It gets intense at times road racing.

The auto gauge is just a cheaper version of the autometer.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: February 03, 2018 07:59AM

Thanks, this is just an auto cross car and around town. Nothing. Correct about it. I will most likely mount it on a dash somewhere. I may actually even fabricate a new dash out of aluminum and do something custom. I just wonder which is better. I know they are both made by the same company And the autometer is made in the US and the auto gauge is made in Mexico with cheaper components I'm sure.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 03, 2018 08:24AM

Not sure what model you have.

Seth Emerson makes some nice adapter to mount aftermarket gauges in the Corvair instrument housing. [www.perfvair.com]

Date: February 03, 2018 09:18AM

Thanks guys. I ended up picking up the autometer sport comp with shift light and mount for 80 bucks. Couldn't pass it up

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 03, 2018 12:27PM

That's a good deal. Where will you mount it? Dash "real estate" is tight.

Date: February 03, 2018 02:25PM

LOL, Mount the tach anywhere, all you need to see it is when you turn the key on to check the shift light setting. Mount the shift light off to the side or even get a small finger LED light and mount it top center where you can see it. If you have the big one off to the side, you will see it!
Here is a picture for you, Do you think I could look over and see the tach? Yes but I never did because I didn't need to. See the shift light? When it comes on you SEE IT and it is not in my line of racing vision.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 03, 2018 05:54PM

What is the purpose of the shift light (telling you when to shift?). Is it programmable? Is it for optimum fuel economy? The shift lights I have been exposed to was strictly for fuel economy.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 03, 2018 06:10PM

Timothy... Yes to all..

Racers use it for shifting at the optimum RPM

YOU could program it for best economy vs RPM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: SoloCP ()
Date: February 03, 2018 06:17PM

Shift light on my race car is set at the cptioum point to shift in each gear which in my case is just below the rev limiter chip in the ignition system. I have to look but if i remember shift is at 6400 and the rev limiter is 7500 or 7800 have to look. Light is just a visible to remind you, shift shift

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
Broken Halo Corvair Garage.
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed
64 Spyder Coupe (Bill Pierson Car)
64 Monza Convertible,140/4 Speed,Electric Heat,Kelsey Hayes Wheels
64 Spyder Blown, (Dave Bolduc Car)
64 Monza Convertible 110/Auto (Future Project)
65 Corsa 3.1 Liter Triple Weber (aka Unsafe)
65 Corsa 140/4 Speed with Triple Weber
66 Avenger, Corvair Turbo, Fuel Injected, Air to Water intercool 140. (Michael Mann Car)
67 Monza 110 Auto. Sugar Bear

Date: February 05, 2018 05:31AM

I'm sure there are multi step programmable shift lights out there but the ones we are talking about remind you to shift at whatever point you set it. In the picture above my rev limit was 6800 set by a chip, I set the shift light at 6600. There were several times I opted to run on the rev limiter with the shift light ON for that half second rather than upshift and then downshift when I didn't have the time to.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.