Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How much gear oil
Posted by: crvr63 ()
Date: February 02, 2018 01:09PM

How much gear oil does the 64 4 spd and transaxle take? I've searched for this and can't come across it. Or does it fill just up to the fill plug? Fill plug on transaxle was damaged somehow, can't be removed, (looks like a u-joint came apart at some point) and I also do not have a dipstick or tube so it makes it that much harder. I will be filling it thru the top cover on a bench. Thanks. BTW if anyone has a dipstick and tube they want to sell, let me know.

needpart

Orange Park, Fl
63 Corvair Conv
67 Cutlass Conv
65 Buick Special Conv
"I'm a ragtop man !"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 01:12PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much gear oil
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 02, 2018 01:11PM

Clark's has the tube but not the dipstick. It does fill to the plug. Is it not repairable? Pictures?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 01:11PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: February 02, 2018 01:37PM

Sounds like your plug was damaged and can't be removed as is. Sounds like you need to weld a nut to what's left of the plug in order to remove the plug, then replace with a new plug.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: February 02, 2018 02:45PM

Tried that but the plug is cast pot metal and won't take a mig weld. Also damaged the speedo gear, but it is still usable. Must have been one hell of a bang!

Orange Park, Fl
63 Corvair Conv
67 Cutlass Conv
65 Buick Special Conv
"I'm a ragtop man !"

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 02, 2018 03:22PM

Drill it out!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 02, 2018 03:39PM

I agree with the "Drill it out" thought.

If it is at all feasible to drill out the plug while you have the differential on the bench then clean up the threads and install a new plug, I would tend to steer you toward that scenario.

One day down the road the fluid may get low and need more added. With the differential installed in the vehicle, it would be real difficult to determine the level or even how much to add by removing the top cover.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 02, 2018 04:00PM

cnicol wrote; Per "SPECIFICATIONS" section, page 1 in the manual, Rear Axle Capacity is 4 1/2 pints

I just searched for "pints"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 03, 2018 05:53AM

As far as drilling out the fill plug, I really don't want the shavings in the transaxle. I have heated this plug up to red hot and it still won't move; I don't want to do anymore damage. I can still use the speedo gear hole to fill if necessary and to check level as it is only a bit higher then the plug.

Orange Park, Fl
63 Corvair Conv
67 Cutlass Conv
65 Buick Special Conv
"I'm a ragtop man !"

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: February 03, 2018 06:11AM

Fill it up to the top. It will puke out what it doesn't need! :-)

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 03, 2018 07:06AM

It takes about two quarts.

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: February 03, 2018 07:09AM

The '65 shop manual says 4.5 pints for the diff, 3.6 pints for the 4 speed, so I bought 4 qts. Filling it through the diff too cover it only took 3qts before it got to the fill plug. Once I drove it a bit the oil level dropped to the add mark so I think the diff pushed more into the trans to get it to the proper level.

If you have the engine out of the car as well, you may be able to fill the diff and put the cover on, then crank the engine with it in gear and run it for a bit to get the lube moving around the trans, then check the level and top off if needed.

But not having the fill plug will be an issue in the future like said if there's a leak or other reason to need a top off.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Date: February 03, 2018 07:38AM

I still say I can check and fill it through the speedo after initial fill from the top Being I'm installing all new gaskets and seals, it should be good for a long while. Not like it will be driven every day. Just paranoid about damaging the case trying to extract that plug. Gotta pick your battles.

Orange Park, Fl
63 Corvair Conv
67 Cutlass Conv
65 Buick Special Conv
"I'm a ragtop man !"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.