home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WTB: 1966- front trim piece PERFECT!!
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 03, 2018 11:12AM

These are mass produced parts. You might have to buy a bunch of NOS ones and pick the best OR buy some NOS ones and have them rechromed. Definitely not going to be a cheap proposition $400-$600 buy in for each NOS grill bar plus rechrome costs.

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 03, 2018 01:58PM

I had both 1965 & 1966-1969 front grille bars, and I couldn't sell them because everyone wanted a perfect one. These were as perfect as you could have ever seen, since they were early production parts. Problem is that when you photograph them with a digital camera, the part is magnified so much so, that it will show every slight blemish, that the human eye can't see. Rather than carry them around to swap meets hoping to sell them, I dropped them off at a vendor, and they were very happy to have them. I have always felt that GM never built show cars, and as someone else on another forum once said.. "I have yet to ever have seen a historically correct restoration" This means that a restoration should be "as Fisher Body & Chevrolet built the car", not over restored! If anyone want absolutely perfect parts, then you are going to have to have NOS parts refinished to your standards. If you want Pebble Beach quality, you are also in for sticker shock.
When I asked a friend who he uses for chrome work and about the pricing, he replied "If you have to ask about the price, you can't afford his work." I know of a shop that does Pebble Beach quality work, but you can spend about as much as NOS or more, to have it re-chromed. You will also have to do your own paint work, since they don't do paint. Perfection is expensive, Pebble Beach perfection is exorbitant!

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 03, 2018 02:12PM

junkman, could I ask which vendor you drop them of to and how long ago? I'm still looking for a "Perfect as you could have ever seen" one.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 05, 2018 10:56AM

Got an email from Duane last night saying he had located a NOS piece, but had not yet gotten it into his own hands.
Just have to see how it all works out. His call.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 08, 2018 09:22AM

Duane came to the Corsa Oregon meeting in Portland last night with a NOS front trim piece. Spendy little bugger, but about as perfect as could be expected.
Spendy thing!
But I now have it, and thank all for the helpful comments and offers.
Moving on....

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 08, 2018 09:38AM

Are any of your "Not Good Enough" grill bars available? PM me price and pictures.
Thanks

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.