home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FOUND!!: 1966- front trim piece PERFECT!!
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 02, 2018 08:12AM

I seem inadvertently to have not made myself quite clear on my search for a front trim piece for my 1966 Corsa.

Have had a couple of offers for pieces that are very nice, according to the owners. But Duane Wentlandt has been very specific with me -- if he is to build my car the way I want it, he recommends something either NOS or flawless.

Yes - it is the case that even as new, few if any were flawless. I know that.

But the core question for someone offering one for sale is simply this:

Would you use the part being offered on your own car, if you were planning on entering it into a fairly high-level concourse? That's what I'm working toward.

So it's not that it has to be "good enough," or even "excellent though used" -- it has to be what Duane is recommending. I've told him I will follow his advice to the letter punctiliously. If it's what he requires, then that's what I will seek.

I first bought this very car fifty years ago last month, the night before I went to Viet Nam the second time. The story of driving it, selling it to a beautiful young woman, marrying her and getting it back, then losing track of it ten years later in the divorce is both compelling and personal. Finding it and getting it back again is, for me, to rebuild a memory that actually matters.

This will be the last special interest car I will ever do. At my age, I neither need nor want another of Any marque. Just this one.

So please bear with me as the search to make it as perfect as it can be continues.

Best

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 10:13AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1966- front trim piece
Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: February 02, 2018 09:06AM

NOS will likely not be flawless. It likely wasn't when new and after 50+ years it will likely picked up some additional flaws. If you want flawless, you will probably be better off buying a good used piece and having it restored.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Date: February 02, 2018 09:26AM

That is probably useful advice. Thank you for that.

I'll have to ask Duane Wentlandt on how to choose the best selection as a candidate. What I have isn't Bad -- it just wasn't all that good when he looked at it. But if it can be restored, that might be the better approach than seeking anything NOS.

Is there some facility anyone would recommend that can properly do that sort of thing? I had my bumpers rechromed by a place in CA and am pleased with that, but am willing to pick up a different one and send it to a real craft shop.

For those who may be even mildly interested, the current iteration of this very personal process for me may be found here:

[www.hemmings.com]

Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 02, 2018 10:45AM

Not that it would matter to you but I bought an NOS one for $400 about 8 years ago. It is new, not flawless by any means.

Posted by: vairjunkie ()
Date: February 02, 2018 10:57AM

I have several NOS front trim bars but none are flawless, as pointed out by others here. These were production cars and parts, not show. GM did make a handful of show Corvairs that were given special attention and prep but everything else was purely production quality. The trim bars I have are about as nice as you will find, but you can always find minor flaws.
Let me know if you decide on a NOS trim bar and I can send photos of what I have.
Eric

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 02, 2018 11:04AM

That's the fun part of restoration - trim parts that look good on daily drivers or even nice fair-weather cruisers look poor on a car with perfect paint and body work.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Click for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Forecast

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 02, 2018 11:12AM

I too, have a couple NOS '66 - '69 front trim. After fifty years sliding around inside of a dilapidated box, they're no longer perfect. ....And no, they're not for sale or trade.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 02, 2018 11:12AM

Most NOS replacement trim parts were ones that had a flaw and were not installed by the factory because of that flaw and became a replacement part, they used the good stuff for production cars that will be on the lot, if you were looking at 2 new Corvairs what one would you buy? the one with a perfect front trim bar or the one with a flaw?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: DCMain ()
Date: February 02, 2018 06:30PM

I sent pictures of a piece that is nice as I have ever seen...and that wasn't good enough.

WTB: 66- front chrome bar PERFECT!!
Date: January 16, 2018 08:06AM

After Duane looked at what I have, he says that the current front trim bar on my car doesn't meet appropriate standard.
OK - obviously he knows such things.
I need a NOS grille bar for a 1966. That's what he says it will take to do my car correctly.
So -- if there are any out there that folks might be willing to part with, let me know please.
Restarting my project is going to require buying some parts, refurbishing others and just generally spending more money. Might as well get started sooner rather than later.

needpart

[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 07:08PM by MattNall.

Re: 66- front chrome bar
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: January 16, 2018 09:01AM

On a related note, I had an NOS '66 bar, but it had shelf wear, and a few scratches. I decided to have it plated to correct its deficiencies. Any tips on repainting the blue and black?

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: January 16, 2018 12:28PM

Scottymac - I have found that Testors (?) paints for models to have the closest match to the colors on the old emblems. Quite inexpensive, as well. I'm refurbishing a few different emblems (a LM turbo and front grill, Monza crosses and a '65 140). Good luck with yours.

Posted by: scooperman ()
Date: January 16, 2018 03:25PM

I just got in a parking lot fender bender and my front trim piece is one of the victims. I used SearchTempest to search all of Craigslist and found one in California. The seller actually had 2 of them so I got both. It turns out that one is not like my 66, I am guessing its a 65. Anyway, still waiting for the other guy's insurance to bless me to go ahead with fixing the car, maybe the shop will want to rework my old one, maybe they will want to use the one I bought, but anyway when its done I will have an extra. I did search vendors, Clark's told me that way back when NOS ones were available, they were $625.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 03:28PM by scooperman.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: January 16, 2018 06:23PM

65/RED! (pricey. 1 yr only.)
66 - 69/Blue!
Not as pricey!

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

Date: January 16, 2018 08:31PM

stitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 65/RED! (pricey. 1 yr only.)
> 66 - 69/Blue!
> Not as pricey!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Trouble is: the last four years of Corvair production is considerably less than the 1965 production!

1965 = 237,056
1966 = 103,743 \
1967 = 27,253 \ 152,415
1968 = 15,399 /
1969 = 6,000 /

Fewer Parts units would have been allocated too, most likely...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: January 17, 2018 12:33PM

The 65 won't work. Got to be a 66 or later. The angle of a front piece is different, and the interior color must be blue.
Not afraid of price if it's show perfect. If not, Duane says I should look further.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 17, 2018 03:53PM

Can this part be swapped between 65's and 66-69's? Are the holes and shape of the the front panel the same? If so I may need you to PM me pictures of the 66-69 piece that isn't good enough and the 65 unit that came with the deal.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 17, 2018 04:03PM

I thought the lengths were different. I will have to pull out the ones I saved. Not prime pieces, but I still saved them.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Re: WTB: 1966- front trim piece PERFECT!!
Date: February 03, 2018 08:14AM

Once again, just to be clear:
I am not making this call.
Duane is. If he says buy, I'll buy. If he says wait and look some more, I'll wait and look some more. Since this won't be ready for 15-18 months, there's no hurry. He travels to swap meets all around the country. I don't and won't. He is now on the lookout for one that meets his standard. His standard matters.
He says he can make a 99 point car. OK -- that's what I want.
There is nothing personal or derogatory implied about what folks might offer.
There is a difference between show-ready and "good enough." If someone has a really good one and Duane agrees, I'll buy it. If there's a facility that can remanufacture mine, I'll do that. Will start checking those out next week.
Just figured to start looking early.

[corvaircenter.com]

Re: WTB: 1966- front trim piece PERFECT!!
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 03, 2018 08:30AM

Just recently somebody had rechomed L/M grill bars that would need paint but were perfect...maybe CA Corvair so call Jeff.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.